Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 11-14-2005, 09:35 AM   #1
Ricci
Registered

Current status

Please can we have a sticky & locked thread that tells us the current status of MA. SO I can quickly see if an update has been released, and also what is being worked on and an eta

I hate to think how much time I have spent reading posts since the first beta !!
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

V2.6, which has 2 new fish, is in Beta Testing now.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Ricci:
I hate to think how much time I have spent reading posts since the first beta !!  
I'm sorry you are unhappy with the time you have spent here. You can always subscribe to receive an e-mail when there is news about the Aquarium here:
http://www.serenescreen.com/support/maillist.php
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
alexxx
Registered

Hello, i'm new here so please be patient. Does anyone know when there will be an option to let the various species act as they would in reality?
I put that big stunningly beautiful, Lion Fish in with just 2" long tiddlers and it made no attempt to scoff them. Obviously a Lion fish in its prime is going to eat little tiddlers like that, given half a chance, is'nt it. Whilst i understand why the default is "community tank" mode, it would be better if there was the challenge that exists in real world community set up's that require a bit of skill in understanding your fish and balancing the numbers and choice of species.
The modelling here is GREAT. The lighting controls have achieved top level minutial controlability and simplicity. The Reef island set up in the middle of MA2 is well concieved, well modelled and helps to add a static element which makes the fish movement more exiting and beautiful. It could do with some waving filtering polyps though. And maybe some brine shrimp and little food fish hiding and occasionally making a dash for food. I hope that this is on the agenda for future evolution.
Although i have a stack of physical ram and software ram, i found that only allowing 17 FPS improved both the realism of fish movement, AND the Lighting Realism. 17FPS seems to be a close approximation of the frequential rate of those "Original Tropical" flurescent lights. At17FPS i found that with the front light at about 1/5th of max and with the rear light on just enough glimmer to make the background slightly Bluer than Black, it had an astonishingly close resemblance to my own Actual Aquarium.
This is the best screen saver ever, it is so good that i feel a bit guilty calling it a screensaver, because it is better than that.

It could do with some inverts though. How about a choice of a few sponges,Branchs, Sea horses,Prawns,starfish,Coral Polyps,Anenomes & Variant Giant Algae (Sea Weeds).

I intend to stick with this project and the excellent bunch behind it. What a beutious thing, to have the most exotic Life stuffed environment on our life filled little world, right there in realistic technocolour on you'r desktop!
Fantastic.

May i also add that the modelling of the various species mode of movement is exquisite. I have spent long periods at my local zoo's Aquatics dept as i go there to visit my friend Freya who is a huge Astronotus Ocellatus (Oscar) .
When i saw the size of the environment available, i realised that i could'nt justify keeping her in a large Aquarium when she could live in a huge tank the size of my whole home and half the garden. She still remembers me some 3 years later, and comes to the glass to smile at me exitedly and wag her little tail.
Eventually, would you like to see virtual fish that eat each other, mate with each other, breed and eventually die? I would.
Thankyou all for a wonderfull and exciting thing.
Best wishes, alexxx.
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:35 AM   #5
Ricci
Registered

Originally posted by feldon29:
I'm sorry you are unhappy with the time you have spent here.  
Nooo, not unhappy.. I just pop on every now and again to get a quick update and end up reading 100s of posts to try and find out the current status/news
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:41 AM   #6
GreenHsiF
SereneScreenFanatic

How long does beta testing take usually?
GreenHsiF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:46 AM   #7
Jim Sachs
Developer

I think Prolific plans to announce the new fish by the end of the week.
Jim Sachs
Old 11-23-2005, 09:22 AM   #8
DeepSeaFan
Viperfish

Question

Yay!
DeepSeaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:29 PM   #9
dwax
Registered

That's great news Jim! I wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving.

dwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:00 AM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The impending release of Marine Aquarium 2.6 coincides with a long overdue overhaul of the Inside: SereneScreen Fan Site. The new site is driven by Joomla CMS which allows much faster updates and a more standardized way of posting information. Every page of the site has gotten a facelift in one way or another.

The next step is to upgrade the forum to version 3.5.1 which provides dramatically improved posting and replying and many other extensions that Michael and I can use to improve the forum.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 11-24-2005, 05:42 AM   #11
chia_kai
Registered

Do you have any picture of the new two fish? I have seen the new Lionfish before. It looks great! How about the other one? How does it look like?
chia_kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:51 AM   #12
Jim Sachs
Developer

There's a picture over in the "When the New Marine version will released?" thread.
Jim Sachs
Old 11-24-2005, 08:14 PM   #13
GreenHsiF
SereneScreenFanatic

Are these actual footage of the new fish?

Old 11-24-2005, 08:19 PM   #14
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Thats them.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:25 PM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Not really on-topic, but I've launched the updated Fan Site. Nothing exactly NEW. No new content. But quite a bit of sprucing up and CSS work and of course now it's all database driven so it can be very easily maintained.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:28 PM   #16
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Looks nice, Morg. Now we just need a steady stream of news...

/Tiny Dreaming of the 99F, 99G, 99H aso updates...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:31 PM   #17
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Everyone check it out and let us know what you think, or if you find anything we missed. And yes we know that the 2 new fish aren't on the printable guide yet, they will be.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:36 PM   #18
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Looks nice. Really like the way the blue /green blend into one another.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 12:47 AM   #19
GreenHsiF
SereneScreenFanatic

-The updated fan site looks awesome,nice job on making it look better.

-Jim on the two fish,they look awesome.I was just wandering aren't clearfin lionfish suppose to have their quivers be very long and move all wavy in the water?

-And on the Achilles Tang,how come you didn't go with the red and green on the tail like on this picture?
Old 11-25-2005, 01:37 AM   #20
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, the fins on the Clearfin do wave, just like the Volitans.

On the Achilles - that's the way that fish happened to look. Others look different.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive