Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-21-2003, 10:28 AM   #101
Scott

Great. It works. That is how I must have done it before, just forgot. Thanks.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 11:14 AM   #102
SouthPaw42
Registered

Originally posted by feldon27
If you ever remove AutoCAD, you can restore the functionality of .SCR files with this script:
https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/restoreSCR.reg

Since you are using AutoCAD still, make a copy of the Aquarium somewhere and rename it Aquarium 2.EXE.
That reg doesn't work for XP try this. Download link at bottom.

xp_scr_fix.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.scr]
@="scrfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.scr\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.scr\OpenWithList\devenv.exe]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile]
@="Screen Saver"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\config]
@="C&onfigure"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\config\command]
@="\"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\install]
@="&Install"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\install\command]
@="rundll32.exe desk.cpl,InstallScreenSaver %l"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\open]
@="T&est"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" /S"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"
Attached Files
File Type: zip xp_scr_fix.zip (497 Bytes, 47 views)
SouthPaw42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 12:34 PM   #103
DeltaLima
Registered

Typo error in a registry key?

There is "NoDuplicateRandom" but there is also "NoDuplicateRandon". Must be a typo in the program.
DeltaLima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 04:14 PM   #104
cjmaddy
Registered

After living with MA2 for a few days, what are my feelings?

I am struck by so many posts saying that it is so much better! ...... What on earth was wrong SSA 1.1 ????

Awesome? ...... Of course it's awesome, - (must be the most over used adjective on this forum ) - all SereneScreen Aquariums are awesome! - Whoever heard of one that isn't? ...... That's like trying to find a Low Class Butcher!

But is it the best?

I like it, I particularly like the return of that best piece of coral. Some of the five new fish are nice, - sorry, that's not fair, they're gorgeous, - the Squarespot Anthias doesn't do a lot for me though. In general, I think the textures on some of the original fish are better, - I'm thinking of the French Angel, for example! - and I'm not keen on the new Queen Angel - (sorry Jim! ). The settings panel is nowhere near MountainMasters 'Fish Picker'. The fps are little different. The start up is a tad slower, and there's a hint of jerkiness that's more like a stutter. So all in all, it's down to fish preferences! - After all, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the previous version, visually!

I don't doubt that a lot of work has taken place, for the changes in the operation and function of the program, but there is no real visible difference on my setup!

I find that four versions of the aquarium happily coexist on my system (yes, SSAv1.1 and 1.1.6wide share some settings, but that's ok!) - So of the four, my preference order would be:-

SSAv1.1.6wide, - Best by far! - (Pity about the Lionfish, ..... and the bug fix was promised last October! )
SSAv1.1 - What can you say, - Near Perfection! ..... (why near? = awaiting 3D background! )
MA2 ...... Some different fish! - otherwise looks the same!
MAT ...... If you must have a clock, - instead of that gorgeous coral - OK!

But there is so little difference, visually, between them! ....... I think they are all awesome!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 04:48 PM   #105
Jim Sachs
Developer

DeltaLima -

You are right, but the typo is in the installer, not the program.

Cliff -

I agree with you about the Queen Angel, the second one was my favorite. Unfortunately I can't use a texture which looks like it might have been derived from that one now. The current texture is a photo of a real Queen Angel, so it is very accurate.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 04:52 PM   #106
Wingnut
Registered

I wouldn't know since I still don't have a key for version 2.0... all this talk about 2.0... I'm gonna cry or eat worms or something
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 04:59 PM   #107
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

the typo is in the installer
I suppose the "blankapace" registry entry falls in the same category then...
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 05:20 PM   #108
Jim Sachs
Developer

OK, get all these out of your system now, 'cause each one causes a flurry of messages between me and Prolific
Jim Sachs
Old 03-21-2003, 05:23 PM   #109
Schnaaps
prolificus penguinus

Mountainmaster: probably, thanks it will be fixed on our next update.

We are still processing a ton of new keycodes to upgrade people. it is a long slow process and it just takes time. I will be sure and post a message when our autoscripts are done.
"Jim, no not THAT Jim but another of the same name"

JamesRathbun.com
Schnaaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 10:03 PM   #110
Quick Death
Registered

As long as we are fishing around the registry I saw a Fish8, although the string is empty. Jim keeps saying a fishtank of this size should only have 7 fish. What's with the extra registry entry?

Along the same lines CalZBufferOn has an value data of NULL. Strange, that is wouldn't be a 0 or 1 or some string but a null character? Hmmm...
Quick Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 10:15 PM   #111
Jim Sachs
Developer

The widescreen version has 8 fish.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-22-2003, 02:03 PM   #112
Beagle
Registered

A really great surprise to get the e-mail re the new fish. They're beautiful! I notice that some have their mouth moving, which I really liked when the lion fish came out.
A few comments: First, when I try to drag and drop the window with the control tabs it moves OK but the space where it was is solid black. With little effort I could black out the whole screen.
Second, the window with the choice of fish and their descriptions needs to be expandable. It's a real pain in the tail fin to have to scroll up and down to read about the fish, which I like to do.
Third, is there someplace to read about frame rate? This seems to be important, but it's not clear why.
Many thanks for all the hard work that went into the upgrade and also MAT. Can they be combined?
Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 02:58 PM   #113
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

MAT MA2

1. Q: First, when I try to drag and drop the window with the control tabs it moves OK but the space where it was is solid black. With little effort I could black out the whole screen.
A: Doctor, when I move my arm like “this” it hurts…

Ok, we do plan to deal with this, but it is currently a bug in DX dealing with Windows UI correctly. Which is why video games always have Custom UI (user Itnerface).

2. Q: the window with the choice of fish and their descriptions needs to be expandable. It's a real pain in the tail fin to have to scroll up and down to read about the fish, which I like to do.
A: Our first rule is the GUD (Grand Unified Dialog) has to fix in the lowest Res, so that it always works on all systems (thus 640x480). But, we are considering offering multiple views of the same data, for advance users like yourself, that are interests in data like this.

3. Q: Third, is there someplace to read about frame rate? This seems to be important, but it's not clear why.
A: Hmm, I’ll let Morg field this one. I’d like to see his answer as well.

4. Q: Many thanks for all the hard work that went into the upgrade and also MAT. Can they be combined?
A: We might in the future, but they are very different product, even though one could argue they are the same. I will let others like Addy speak why he does not like MAT. Also, MAT has some speed issues because it is doing some very interesting rendering things in real time. But we are working on a bundle deal, because we have heard from a lot of people that they want one for Office (MAT) and one for home (MA2).

Thank you for your feedback.
Reichart... , CTO, Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Come visit us Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Reichart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 04:54 PM   #114
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

A: Doctor, when I move my arm like “this” it hurts…
That's more like it, Reichart. Bring on the humor!
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 05:20 PM   #115
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Unfortunately I can't use a texture which looks like it might have been derived from that one now.
Jim,

I take it that has something to do with Ryan and that whole deal where you finally decided not to take photo submissions, etc?
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 06:27 PM   #116
Quick Death
Registered

Jim --

What about the CalZBufferOn having it's value set to NULL?
Quick Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 06:46 PM   #117
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Digital Lungfish
Jim,

I take it that has something to do with Ryan and that whole deal where you finally decided not to take photo submissions, etc?
As we found out, it's not Ryan's photo, it's a photo from a book. Unfortunately/fortunately, the photographer is world-reknowned and probably would not give up the rights for cheap.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 07:13 PM   #118
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Beagle
A few comments: First, when I try to drag and drop the window with the control tabs it moves OK but the space where it was is solid black. With little effort I could black out the whole screen.
The Direct3D world is completely suspended/destroyed when the Settings window comes up. Creating and destroying the 3D world to re-paint the background every time you move the window would make moving the window very slow. The other possibility, taking a snapshot of the screen before the Settings panel comes up, could take 6MB or more of RAM on certain systems.

Third, is there someplace to read about frame rate? This seems to be important, but it's not clear why.
If the animation of the Aquarium is smooth, then don't worry too much about this. You can do a LOT of tweaking if you are into that sort of thing.

Many thanks for all the hard work that went into the upgrade and also MAT. Can they be combined?
That's the beauty of the new platform. Bugs fixed in 1 program fix bugs in everything.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 08:24 PM   #119
Jim Sachs
Developer

QuickDeath -

Huh?
Jim Sachs
Old 03-22-2003, 08:53 PM   #120
Manymosi
Registered

One thing I really like about the new version is when you go to the settings screen, the aquarium freezes so that I can examine the fish more closely. Then when I exit the settings menu, the fish resume swimming from where they were.
Manymosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive