Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-18-2003, 11:21 PM   #21
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

2.0 Upgrade

1. Q: Morgan wrote: All purchasers of the Aquarium from .996 through 1.1.2 are entitled to a free upgrade to MA2.0 for the next 90 days. After that time, if you purchased the Aquarium after February 22nd, 2002, the upgrade will be an undetermined amount (probably under $10).

A: Actually, this only applies to people that bought the download. This is a gift to those people. People that bought the physical product (which is 1.0) are entitled only to the 1.1 upgrade (any special version we made after that for wide, or multiple monitor use).

2. Q: Everyone else will be getting their MA2.0 keycodes over the next couple of weeks.
A: Actually, keycodes are being mailed to some, the rest can come to our site and get issued one if they have their original Email address, and original Keycode, and the new Keycode will be sent to the original email address..

3. Q: I have no idea if/when this issue will be addressed. It involves "cheating" which the Aquarium has done since version 99D which causes problems on non-nVidia cards! If, after downloading the Aquarium, you feel this clicking is a serious issue for you,
A: Actually, MA2.0 is making all function calls correctly, and it is the OS that is having the problems. You can simply force the mode (as a new feature of the UI) to the same desktop resolution as your system, even 16 bit (which allows it to run faster on some systems, and it will remove these clicks. Keep in mind, MA 2.0 support about 100+ video cards with:

DirectX 3D 6, 7, 8, and 9, and Windows OS 95, 98, 2000, XP, and ME.

4. Q: James wrote: Another thing is I notice there's a wireframe layout of the crystal althoguh I don't see a crystal there but the coral, does that mean MA2 actually embbed MAT together? if I input the MAT keycode into MA2, will I get MAT too?
A: No and No. this is simply part of our progression towards modularized single code. But perhaps one day.
Reichart... , CTO, Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Come visit us Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Reichart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 11:26 PM   #22
Franklin J. Flocks
Registered

OK, I understand, but I'm not entirely happy about it. I bought
the physical product less than 2 months ago at Fry's for
$20. - How do I get the upgrade to 2.0 that everyone else
here seems to be getting and how much will it cost me?
Franklin J. Flocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 12:35 AM   #23
Pyros9
Registered

Question Great.....Smooth

Just downloaded and installed. Working great! It's running much smoother than the last version. I'm running it at 32 bit using "desktop resolution" of 1024 x 768. Getting 74 FPS and it looks beautiful!

Thanks to all involved!!

Doug................(Pyros9)
www.faddis.net

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dogs think I am.
Pyros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 12:57 AM   #24
Jroztan
Registered

Got It, works fine. No flickering, no black screen. Works perfectly fine for me and it start up even faster than v1.1.
Jacky Tan

WIWIWIG
What I Want Is What I Get
Jroztan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:15 AM   #25
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

got it, works fine, same fps.......soooo many fishes now
bob
handimannbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:37 AM   #26
thebard
Copperband Butterfly

Stunning - thanks Jim, I love the new fish. Working perfectly on modest Win98/P3/GeForce2MX, no probs at all & 70 plus fps.
Congrats on an awesome piece of work.
thebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 02:55 AM   #27
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Bravo!!!! Looks great!!!

but....

I've already found bugs on my PC and my wife's.

First and foremost, Z-buffer problems. The textures will flicker, then you'll see objects on the other side of the fish.

Secondly (this is associated with the Z-buffer problem), when the Z-buffer problem starts to appear, the eyes on the fish go from 3D to flat against the body of the fish.

Third, I cannot get the program to go above 1360x768 on my PC.

Still looking for others...

MY SPECS
CPU: P2 450
RAM: 384BM
Windows: WinXP Pro
Motherboard brand and chipset: DFI P2XBL Rev. C
Video card model and driver: GeForce2 Pro DDR 32MB / Detonator Driver 4109
Sound card model and driver: Soundblaster Live Value / Driver 5.1.2603.0
DirectX version: 9.0

HER SPECS
CPU: Celeron 566
RAM: 256MB
Windows: WinXP Pro
Motherboard: FlexATX (Intel 810E Chipset)
Video card model and driver: Intel 82810E Graphics Controller (integrated video)
Sound card model and driver: AC97 Link CODEC Rev. 2.1(integrated audio)
DirectX version: 8.1

Here's a pic of 2 of the problems (1 and 2 from above) along with a picture of the same fish without the eye bug for comparison -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bugs.jpg (64.3 KB, 586 views)
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 05:11 AM   #28
Waz
Registered

This all sounds fantastic and I am patiently awaiting my email.
(Registered Pre-Lionfish)

Waz
Waz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 05:33 AM   #29
drfish
the Doc

Wow, looks great! Can't wait to try it on my computer at home! Great job everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: gif omfaint.gif (4.6 KB, 626 views)
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 05:38 AM   #30
CougRon
Registered

Upgrade to 2.0

Okay. I'm confused. Some months ago I bought 1.0 from CompUSA. I downloaded and installed the 1.1 upgrade with no problem. (I could have sworn I registered or submitted my email address with the ScereneScreen site then, but now I'm not so sure.)

I now want to install version2.0. I've downloaded and run the installer with my CD in the drive but when I run the installed program I see I have an unregistered version. From above messages it appears that I can't use the CD's keycode and I must purchase a new Keycode. Where do I do this and how much is it? I have only seen mention in the program and the site the full product cost of $19.95. Do I have to pay the full cost again? If not, where do I purchase the lower-priced upgrade? How much is this to be? (I found the release announcement message is unclear/borderline-confusing about this.)

Thanks,

P.S. The web site contradictorily says right there at the top.
If you already own a version previous to 2.0. you can upgrade now for free until June 17th
To me this implies that users with ANY previously purchased version can get the upgrade which is contradicted here and buried in the faq on the site. Perhaps a better message should be used. Oh and clicking the link for the upgrade (the only mention of how to upgrade) brings you to a under construction type page.
CougRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 06:09 AM   #31
Steven J Lowe
Blue Angel

I have version 1.1 that i purchased from discking in the uk two weeks ago on cd-rom. Will i get a free upgrade?
Steven J Lowe
Steven J Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 06:14 AM   #32
DennisT
Registered

Thanks for the upgrade,

Really love the new fish and have no problems whatsoever.

Great job Jim

Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 06:55 AM   #33
EddieWan
JediMaster

looks great. Just missed the email before I went to bed last night. What a nice surprise to wake up to
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
EddieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 08:14 AM   #34
The_Thrill
Nittany Lion

I'm interested to see how you up date the 3D background regardless of which version users have. Any comments?
Thrill
The_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:13 AM   #35
Liath
Still here in spirit

YESSS! Thank you so much guys. You've done a great job. What a wonderful gift to wake up to. I've got my coral back, and a bunch of new beautiful fish. Ken Dougherty has done a fantastic job. The Rock Beauty Angel is my favorite
Cheers!
Liath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:32 AM   #36
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

YEEEHAAAA!

Thank you indeed! The new fish look great, and so does the fish picker (I never bothered to get Mountainmaster's). Really refreshing to have "new meat".

Thanks Jim & Prolific!
CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:22 AM   #37
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by The_Thrill
I'm interested to see how you up date the 3D background regardless of which version users have. Any comments?
Pretty easy actually. Although at this time MA2 requires a whole new keycode, in actual practice, it is only the 5 new fish which really require the new keycode.

When the 3D background versions appear, the 5 fish will require a 5-fish-capable keycode. If your keycode doesn't include those 5 fish, you just won't get them.

In other words, MA2 introduces the ability to have multiple keycodes to handle different features. The fish and creatures themselves will have keycodes.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:28 AM   #38
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: Upgrade to 2.0

Originally posted by CougRon
Okay. I'm confused. Some months ago I bought 1.0 from CompUSA. I downloaded and installed the 1.1 upgrade with no problem. (I could have sworn I registered or submitted my email address with the ScereneScreen site then, but now I'm not so sure.)

(I found the release announcement message is unclear/borderline-confusing about this.)

Me too, and I wrote the darn thing.

They keep see-sawing.

P.S. The web site contradictorily says right there at the top.

If you already own a version previous to 2.0. you can upgrade now for free until June 17th
To me this implies that users with ANY previously purchased version can get the upgrade which is contradicted here and buried in the faq on the site.
I feel the same way.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:34 AM   #39
hpman77
Blue Angel

Greaaaaat! I got it
.:: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ :: 512MB SDRAM :: Windows XP SP1 :: shappire ATI radeon 9600 PRO :: Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 :: Directx 9.0 :: (Always latest drivers for everything) ::.
hpman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:41 AM   #40
BigScreen
Registered

Re: Upgrade to 2.0

Originally posted by CougRon

I now want to install version2.0. I've downloaded and run the installer with my CD in the drive but when I run the installed program I see I have an unregistered version. From above messages it appears that I can't use the CD's keycode and I must purchase a new Keycode. Where do I do this and how much is it? I have only seen mention in the program and the site the full product cost of $19.95. Do I have to pay the full cost again? If not, where do I purchase the lower-priced upgrade? How much is this to be? (I found the release announcement message is unclear/borderline-confusing about this.)

Thanks,

P.S. The web site contradictorily says right there at the top. To me this implies that users with ANY previously purchased version can get the upgrade which is contradicted here and buried in the faq on the site. Perhaps a better message should be used. Oh and clicking the link for the upgrade (the only mention of how to upgrade) brings you to a under construction type page.

I think they're still trying to get the facts straight. I did some looking, and there are multiple and contradictory statements being made, depending on where you look.

Forum Message by feldon27 on 03-06-2003 01:37 PM:
MA 2.0 will be a free download/upgrade for all users who purchased the Aquarium at 1.0 or below (Fry's boxed version and all online versions 99L and prior).
Forum Message by feldon27 on 03-08-2003 04:59 AM:
Purchasers of the Aquarium before February 22nd, 2002 (prior to the Lionfish's release) are entitled to a free upgrade to MA2.0.
Forum Message by feldon27 on 03-18-2003 11:21 PM:
All download version purchasers of the Aquarium from .996 through 1.1.2 are entitled to a free upgrade to MA2.0 for the next 90 days. After that time, if you purchased the Aquarium after February 22nd, 2002, the upgrade will be an undetermined amount (probably under $10).

If you purchased the Aquarium at a retail store, the upgrade to MA2 will be an undermined amount (probably under $10).

Forum Message by Reichart on 03-18-2003 11:21 PM:
1. Q: Morgan wrote: All purchasers of the Aquarium from .996 through 1.1.2 are entitled to a free upgrade to MA2.0 for the next 90 days. After that time, if you purchased the Aquarium after February 22nd, 2002, the upgrade will be an undetermined amount (probably under $10).

A: Actually, this only applies to people that bought the download. This is a gift to those people. People that bought the physical product (which is 1.0) are entitled only to the 1.1 upgrade (any special version we made after that for wide, or multiple monitor use).

As of 10:29am CT today, the SereneScreen.com web site says:
If you already own a version previous to 2.0. you can upgrade now for free until June 17th Act now on this limited time offer.

Since it's only one day after the release, I'm willing to sit back and wait for the dust to settle before I express opinions about their upgrade procedure.

I would tend to believe the official web site over statements made in this forum, since the official web site is the public stance of the company to its customers. Forums like these are great for informal discussion, but not for official pronouncements.

I have two cases where purchases of v1.0 were made recently from Amazon, and subsequently upgraded to v1.1 online. From the conflicting reports noted above, I'm not sure what scenario will be in play.

However, the statement on the official web site is the preferred one, and less likely to keep my purchasing advice to a client based on feldon27's (informal) comments from backfiring!

(edited to fix timestamp of Reichart's forum post)
Scott J.
Publisher of The BigScreen Cinema Guide
BigScreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive