Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-04-2006, 11:49 PM   #121
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

Note:
I am still testing MA2.6 right now and making changes on the settings of MA2.6 to see if there are any settings that will make it fail.

One more note, I missed the second page of that link I posted.
Quoted from by verbal11: http://forum.networktechs.com/archiv...71031-p-2.html
"I'm using a MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer. Is the problem in Intellipoint??

I am also using the MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer. I contacted Microsoft and they verified that the problem does indeed lie in Intellipoint. I was told that they are working on the problem but do not have an ETA."
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:15 AM   #122
Edgar

1 Highscore

More update:

The problem still not happening on my system.
I decided to reinstall Intellipoint 5.2 to see if I can get a good installation and see if the bug will show up.

This is for testing purposes only:
1. I uninstaled Intellipoint 5.5 and Rebooted twice.
2. Checked Program Files for any Intellipoint and found a 5.2 version. Deleted the directory "Microsoft Intellipoint 5.2"
3. Reboot again to be safe.
4. Installed Intellipoint version 5.2 and rebooted twice.
5. Started testing MA2.6 and I am sorry to say, so far the bug still doesn't happen.

I will leave it installed for now to see what happens.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 03-05-2006, 10:43 AM   #123
Dale
Banned

OK, I'm now running Intellipoint 5.5, and using MA2.6 without Carousel. I'll report results, of course.

FerdFerd, are you using Intellipoint?

Edgar, the following is off-topic (I think), but in the process of doing the above, I noticed that the Add/Remove Programs list had both SereneScreen Marine Aquarium 2.0 and SereneScreen Marine Aquarium 2.6. Perhaps that's a feature. In any case, I decided to uninstall 2.0.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #124
Edgar

1 Highscore

Both MA2.0 and MA2.6 can be installed at the same time. That should not be a problem.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 03-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #125
FerdFerd
Registered

Originally posted by Dale:
FerdFerd, are you using Intellipoint?  
Yes, I'm using Intellipoint 5.5. I updated from version 5.2 during these tests, and as I said a few posts ago, MA stopped exiting with a mouse move when the Exit with Mouse Move box was unchecked after I updated to 5.5. For the record, my mouse is a Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0.

Also some days ago, on advice in this thread, I updated the Intel video drivers for my computer.

Once again it seems worth saying that MA 2.0 worked fine with this mouse, the original video drivers, and Intellipoint 5.2, until I had to reinstall the OS.

Also, I still have not any trouble with Sharks. I've returned to MA 2.0 to test that again. Edgar, if you prefer I test something else, let me know.
FerdFerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:57 AM   #126
Edgar

1 Highscore

FerdFerd,
Thanks for the MsInfo file. I was just going to ask you again so I can compare with Dale's and mine. Now I hope I can see some similarities and/or differences that can point to the real problem.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 03-05-2006, 01:07 PM   #127
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Edgar:
More update:

The problem still not happening on my system.
I decided to reinstall Intellipoint 5.2 to see if I can get a good installation and see if the bug will show up.

This is for testing purposes only:
1. I uninstaled Intellipoint 5.5 and Rebooted twice.
2. Checked Program Files for any Intellipoint and found a 5.2 version. Deleted the directory "Microsoft Intellipoint 5.2"
3. Reboot again to be safe.
4. Installed Intellipoint version 5.2 and rebooted twice.
5. Started testing MA2.6 and I am sorry to say, so far the bug still doesn't happen.

I will leave it installed for now to see what happens.  
Edgar, if you haven't already done it, it would be safest to use Control Panel/System/hardware/device/mice to check what driver file version, and what version of point32.sys, that you are actually using. As I'm sure you know, sometimes uninstall doesn't really do a complete job - and install doesn't replace "later version" files that are still there.

Since point32.sys can live in windows/system32/drivers, deleting the directory in Program Files might not have totally done the job.

You probably knew that, and probably already checked the version to be sure it is really 5.2.x

Footnote: The actual internal version number of the Point32.sys file that I'm using is 5.5.661.0
Old 03-05-2006, 03:10 PM   #128
Edgar

1 Highscore

If you all did this already,

Here is my suggestion.
1. Please try uninstalling the current Intellipoint.
2. Reboot twice. - important
3. Optional but just curious on results - Test MA2.6 or MA2.0 if failed or not
4. Download Intellipoint 5.5.
5. Install 5.5.
6. Reboot twice. - important
6. Then do a test on MA2.6 or MA2.0 again.

Should I to assume the bug still happens?
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 03-05-2006, 03:49 PM   #129
FerdFerd
Registered

Done - for me this was already version 5.5, but I had installed it on top of 5.2, so I uninstalled from the control panel and then deleted all files from Program Files.
Did this as instructed.
I let MA2.0 come on and then exited promptly with a mouse move, a total of about six complete cycles. In those few tests, no active applications terminated when the screen saver closed.
5. Install 5.5.
I have done this now.
Will continue testing MA2.0 for awhile.
I will let you know.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:20 PM   #130
Dale
Banned

If you all did this already,

Here is my suggestion.
5. Install 5.5.

Did all of that earlier today (see previous post), and have been using MA2.6 (without Carousel, of course) since then. I have not seen any failures so far.

If none of us sees failures, then we have good evidence that:

1. It's not a problem with video. This would perhaps argue it's not related to DirectX, either. [Inconclusive on that point, I guess]

2. It seems to be related to MA2 _and_ mouse drivers. We don't know much about MA2 with non-Intellipoint drivers.

3. The problem exhibited by MA2 and mouse drivers, does not seem to be exhibited with the same mouse drivers and Goldfish, Sharks, 3DWindowsXP, or other screensavers we've looked at.

Of course, finding a fix for *MY* systems (I hope) that involves just installation of the lates Intellipoint is a great result.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:41 AM   #131
Dale
Banned

No problems so far, MA2.6
Old 03-06-2006, 12:10 PM   #132
loub516
Registered

I removed intellipoint 5.2 from the add remove programs and have not had a problem since. I purposefuly left a word document open and so far have not had it close when MA closes. It also does not close anymore when I move the mouse with exit on mouse unchecked.
LB
loub516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #133
FerdFerd
Registered

Although it is hard to say for sure, because we have been dealing with occasional behavior, I have had no more problems with MA2.0 over the past 24 hours. It seems reasonable to think we may have the solution: older versions of Intellipoint conflict with MA and some other similar screen savers.

If I have a repeat, I will report back, but for now, I think I am going to stop active testing and just use my system as I ordinarily would.

It would be interesting to me to learn how a mouse driver conflicts with some screen savers but not with others, if anyone discovers the root cause. It would also be fascinating to know why a particular version of the mouse driver conflicts on some computers but not on others.

Thank you Edgar for staying with this! And if you want any other tests that might help, let me know.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #134
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by FerdFerd:
It would be interesting to me to learn how a mouse driver conflicts with some screen savers but not with others, if anyone discovers the root cause. It would also be fascinating to know why a particular version of the mouse driver conflicts on some computers but not on others.

I'd be curious, too. And note that Intellipoint 5.5 was just released 3 months ago.

I have still had no failures with the current setup (MA2.6 without Carousel, Intellipoint 5.5). I'll continue to run it that way, and I'll report here if I see any failures.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #135
Edgar

1 Highscore

Thank you all for the help in solving this problem.

I think the real problem was really caused by Intellipoint's incomplete uninstall/install.

The deleting of old files and rebooting twice ensures good install.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 03-06-2006, 11:04 PM   #136
Dale
Banned

I think the real problem was really caused by Intellipoint's incomplete uninstall/install.  
Why do you think that?

My wife's computer is essentially identical to mine. She had this problem with MA2.0, and hasn't been running MA. She has been running Intellipoint 5.2.

Yesterday, I installed Intellipoint 5.5 (without any reboots at all), and installed MA2.6, and it has been running without problems since. No uninstall, no reboots, etc.

Of course, that's not conclusive.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:12 PM   #137
Edgar

1 Highscore

If you did not reboot and the computer crashed, you could end up with a half installed state just like what happened when I first installed 5.2. FerdFerd also installed 5.5 but had the same problem still until he used the procedure that I gave out. So my conclusion was based on what happened to me and Ferdferd.

If you think the method you used is reliable enough for you then it is all good either way.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 03-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #138
FerdFerd
Registered

For what it is worth as perspective, when I installed Intellipoint 5.5 the first time, I just installed it over version 5.2. When I later deleted it through the control panel, I found there were two directories left over in my Program Files directory: Microsoft Intellipoint 5.2 and Microsoft Intellipoint 5.5. I deleted both of those directories and their contents and then rebooted. At that point it seems that I had the default Windows mouse drivers active. (I had no problems with MA2.0 at that point in a brief test.)

Interesting to me was that I had always assumed I needed the Intellipoint drivers to take advantage of the extra mouse buttons on my Intellimouse. Not so - they worked for foward and back browsing without the the Intellipoint drivers. The drivers do add extra features and customizations, though.

I then reinstalled Intellipoint 5.5. I now have two directories in the Program Files directory: Microsoft Intellipoint (no version number) and Microsoft Intellipoint 5.5. So I assume there must have been some 5.2 files left the first time I installed version 5.5 without first deleting 5.2.

It is still a mystery why version 5.2 works fine with MA on some machines and not others. But for those with troubles, deleting Intellipoint drivers completely and reverting to the default Windows mouse drivers, or deleting Intellipoint completely and reinstalling Intellipoint version 5.5, seem like the first things to try now.

Last edited by FerdFerd; 03-08-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:03 PM   #139
Dale
Banned

Just thought I would report "still no problem" using IntelliPoint 5.5. I'll not post again unless there is a problem.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive