Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 06-25-2002, 05:59 PM   #141
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Fish Picker version 2.3 with expanded tray icon functionality is up:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker.zip
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 07:43 PM   #142
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
Tiny.....ok may be its me who being too sensitive.....anyway.....I get ur meaning now...no hard feeling...ya and I do agree...this is very similar to Jim's product, whenever a new ver is out, there r also more thing ppl wanna to add on....however, the only problem is whether the programmer will take the feedback as consideration or totally ignore.....coz its the matter of the developement intention of the programmer......
If things get too rough I just hide inside my shell...
I really like ur hmor man, dunno which day I can be as humorous as you r...

memilm
thx for ur support

Mountainmaster
ver 2.3 is great...keep it going....I've again pass this to my prevours gang of so called beta tester in my lecture....they all very satisfied...but I still have more suggestions to u .....andI rather keep it down till u finish this stage...

both tray and task bar
well....u don't have to turn it down coz it already there....if we enable the tray icon function, then eventualy ur program immediately show the icon in tray, what I mean is user could have more option like "ONLY tray icon WHEN minimised" or "ONLY taskbar WHEN restore"...

however, your double-click option is nice....just if I'm u I might name it as "default option"...but well....it doesn't matter much does it?
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 05:07 PM   #143
cjmaddy
Registered

Mountainmaster,
I tended to take TT's view, at first, regarding the constant requests to keep changing your Picker prog. But I also see the logic in feedback and appreciation. So dare I ask, what are the chances of a picker to work with the widescreen version VO.99K (Wide) ? Only asking you understand. It's just that I've taken a liking to the wide version over the standard version. I don't mind the black bars top and bottom - I even think it makes it look more like a fish tank ! - The proportions are more pleasing. I think it must stem from my dislike of films shown on TV in the wrong or distorted format.

Also, am I alone in believing that CalcNormals looks better 'ON' ? I have raised this point before, but had no takers. I think the Queen Angel shows the CalcNormals change as good as any. Stare at the caudal peduncle - (...sorry, I used to keep freshwater tropicals - that's the bit where the caudal (tail) fin meets the body.) - at the same time as you toggle 'N'. You should see a greater rippling effect as the fish swims and uses its tail, and I also think the body movements appear to become slightly more flexible. .... (It works for me, anyhow !)
It's also hard to believe this is only a lighting effect - as the total fin movements seems to have increased - fill the tank with Clown Triggers, then start to toggle 'N' and watch the dorsal and anal fins to see what I mean !
I think I definitely prefer CalcNormals (whatever they are) 'ON'.

cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 07:10 PM   #144
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

James,
"ONLY tray icon WHEN minimised" or "ONLY taskbar WHEN restore"
I see... going to test that out. I think it should be either like that or the current behaviour. Otherwise it would be confusing, don't you think?

cjmaddy,
what are the chances of a picker to work with the widescreen version VO.99K
0%, sorry. If Fish Picker is ever going to work for a widescreen version it will be 1.1 wide. I think it would not be very hard to do, but unless Prolific is going to make the widescreen version available to the public this stays low on the priority list.
am I alone in believing that CalcNormals looks better 'ON' ?
On my geforce256 I see no difference at all, even when staring closely. However the framerate drops with 10 fps. I suppose it really depends on your graphics card.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:34 PM   #145
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The color picker should work seamlessly with the widescreen 1.1.2 version, but for .99K, he'd have to change a lot of code.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 12:50 AM   #146
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Just wanting to make sure my point is taken (last time – promise):
I have nothing against user feedback & suggestions. I believe it's fundamental in imnproving a product/program/whatever. I was just trying to say that MM might like to hear some positive words together with new ideas, that's all.

67, What video card are you using?

/Tiny
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 01:32 AM   #147
memilm
Registered

I think, we all, the users of the picker, are very fine impressed and like the program that MM made.
Even if the program remain in this version will be fine, there are more than enough function implemented...
Many, many Thanks to MM
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 09:49 AM   #148
cjmaddy
Registered

Mountainmaster, - Thanks for your prompt reply.

Morgan, - How do I get a widescreen 1.1.2 version ?

Tiny, - Nothing very special about my video card, it's a Super nVidia GeForce2 MX200 64mb AGP (Driver Version 4.13.01.2311). I think my 17in flat screen Sony (Trinitron Multiscan G200) helps a lot !

I have been doing some more careful checking, and I find that with a tank full of Queen Angels, the difference when toggling N is very marked indeed. There is no doubt in my mind, that CalcNormals looks better 'ON'. I only get a framerate of about 38/40 fps.- which drops to 36/38 fps. with CalcNormals ON. I can not detect any visible difference between these two framrates. So with the improvement that CalcNormals ON makes, how can I call it a performance drop ?

Old 06-27-2002, 10:00 AM   #149
James

cjmaddy
I think u just have to write an email to Morgan for widescreen 1.1.2....
right Morgan?
James C Chen
HTC Corporation
www.htc.com
Old 06-27-2002, 12:31 PM   #150
cjmaddy
Registered

I am now the proud owner of a version 1.1 wide, (thanks again, Morgan), .... wonderful !
7 Queen Angels, plus Starfish, plus Lionfish .... fantastic ! And the improvement with CalcNormals 'ON' is still very clear to see. It's not a big change, but it's there, and it's another step nearer reality. I am getting 39/40 fps without CalcNormals, and 38/39 with CalcNormals ON. The picker program works fine, - on the first 7 fish only, of course, - but the wide version can only be started from outside the picker .... unless I've done something wrong !

I am now very happy ! ........... almost makes up for getting knocked out of the World Cup !

Old 06-30-2002, 05:36 PM   #151
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

cjmaddy,

I have a beta version ready for download that is fully compatible with the aquarium widescreen. It wasn't as easy as I thought, so please test it critically for strange or inconsistent behaviour.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker_b.zip

Widescreen options are enabled only if the Aquarium_wide.scr file is present in the system directory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beta.jpg (25.6 KB, 247 views)
Old 06-30-2002, 05:41 PM   #152
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Awesome work!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 07:42 PM   #153
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Beta 2 is up now: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker_b.zip
Old 07-01-2002, 08:32 AM   #154
cjmaddy
Registered

First of all, may I say that the work and skill involved in producing the Fish Picker is much appreciated, hats off to you Mountainmaster. If it, or something like it, is not included in a future version of the aquarium, I shall be very surprised.

As regards my calcNormals rantings, I admit it has become something of an obsession with me, so I have started a new thread on that subject.

------------------------------------

The above was written and about to be posted, when I found this latest beta version of the Fish Picker ready for download, compatible with the widescreen aquarium !!!!
What can I say ? - Where else can you get service like this ? - I am gob smacked !
First impression are superb !

Thanks Mountainmaster, just the job, I will report back IF there are any glitches.
Thanks Morgan, for supplying the 1.1wide version. To anyone who hasn't tried it yet - get it ! - it's great !
Thanks Jim, for providing us all with the best aquarium program in the world ! - without you, we would all be talking to ourselves !

Old 07-01-2002, 10:57 AM   #155
cjmaddy
Registered

Mountainmaster,
No strange or inconsistent behaviour so far.
The readme file has reference to 'seven slots' (now eight) and the System Tray menu 'Launch Aquarium' only launches the wide version.
Otherwise, all appears faultless !
I am very very impressed !

Morgan,
You should be getting a glut of requests for the 1.1 wide any time now !

Old 07-01-2002, 12:30 PM   #156
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

cjmaddy,

I am glad you like the picker widescreen beta and that you did not find any glitches. The tray menu actually checks if widescreen mode is enabled. If it isn't the regular aquarium will be launched.

Oh and James, I almost forgot. I changed the tray icon display to show up only when minimized, like you suggested.

So far so good, but still I hope for more reactions here. And I also would like people who don't have the widescreen aquarium to test this. In case you're wondering, without "Aquarium_wide.scr" present it looks like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg notwide.jpg (22.3 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by Mountainmaster; 07-01-2002 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:16 PM   #157
James

WOW...it's very nice....
well....if the widescreen mode is set, the Starfish setting panel shold be a bit diff though....coz it's widescreen, the bubble colum and the coral is a bit diff from original one....and the position of starfish could increse 1 or 2 more.....but well....nvm....it's not very important....
James C Chen
HTC Corporation
www.htc.com
Old 07-02-2002, 09:26 AM   #158
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

James,
Thanks, I had not thought about the starfish positions being different in the widescreen version. My primary concern was to get it all working properly.
I may build a seperate widescreen starfish settings panel sometime, but for now the present one will have to do.

Anyway, since no serious bugs were posted here I decided to go final.

Fish Picker 2.4: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker.zip
Old 07-05-2002, 02:26 PM   #159
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Fish Picker 2.4.5 is up: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker.zip
Added "Revert to Current" to the menu and fixed a bug
Old 07-05-2002, 04:29 PM   #160
cjmaddy
Registered

Mountainmaster,
Just a small comment.
You probably know this, but my system reports that picker.exe 2.4.5 contains no icons ! .... Hope it's not me !

Keep up the good work !

Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive