Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 09:56 AM   #21
mikeh
Registered

Hmm, on this I must agree with jim, displaying icons on top of the aquarium is unneeded, and excessive mutilation..... I would think it would be a better to put a "desktop bar" on the side of the screen, with the start bar below, that way, you still have your icons there, but you don't have those annoying icons over fish... Perhaps this would be accepted better by all?

**returns to hiding**

-Mike
Old 02-16-2002, 12:34 PM   #22
Bob
Registered

I'm not sure I understand why you think it is so terrible to have icons overlaying the aquarium, but it would perfectly all right for application windows. What about pop-up email notifications or pop-up alarms? Shouldn't these also be disallowed?

But, Jim has already made his position clear. He said earlier in the thread that "neither I (Jim) nor Prolific will be doing anything to encourage the plastering of icons, decals, or graffiti on top of the Aquarium."

So you'd don't have to worry about any of us running the aquarium with icons covering any of it.

Bob Frank
Old 02-17-2002, 12:22 AM   #23
Jim Sachs
Developer

I have no real objection to a separate taskbar along the side or bottom of the screen (I guess there would have to be one on the side AND the bottom to keep the proper aspect ratio).

But even this subverts the intent of the Aquarium, which is to foster the illusion that your monitor really IS an aquarium. Of course, 3D LCD glasses are required for the full impact.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Old 02-17-2002, 01:32 AM   #24
Socrates
Sage

The thing works best using the widescreen 99k.

This allows you to put things below the aquarium where there is a gap to the bottom.

Don't know why Darrell overreacted. I guess he's just unstable. Too bad really as he seems talented.

When I use it, I usually only use it with a small chat window. This reminds of when I used to sit in front of my old aquarium reading a book. The aquarium is there to sooth and the book keeps most of your attention.

The screen caps of the icons and 3d oddities in front looked more like plastic ships and divers in the tank with the fish.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Old 02-17-2002, 01:49 AM   #25
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I don't think Darrell overreacted. I would have done the same thing.

People asked him to try to get icons working, so the fish really ARE under your desktop. He slaved for 2 days getting it working. The response was entirely negative.

Anyway, it looks like the best place for anything that makes the Aquarium run differently than it was designed to is probably best saved for another forum, perhaps a skinning or underground forum/website.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 02-17-2002 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:22 PM   #26
Goose
Registered

Wink I am very disappointed in Jim

Ugghhhh! I was very disappointed to see Jim Sachs reaction to Darrells modifications of his screensaver. This was a "fan" modification and not someone who was trying to modify and make money from it. Someone who obviously thought your screensaver was so cool that he wanted to tweak it to his own needs.

You might not have agreed with his application but beauty is in the eye of the beholder Jim. You could show a little bit more tact when criticizing someones work. I am sure you wouldn't want someone to call your screensaver "horrible". I also do not see anything wrong with modifications. Once someone has bought something they can do whatever they want to it. I can buy an expensive china cabinet or a fancy car and paint both of them lime green with red stripes if it makes me happy.

Just look at the modifications that are done on PC games. The popular game Halflife is over 2 years old but is still very popular because "fans" are finding new ways to change the game to make it fun and interesting. Wasn't that what Darrell was trying to do?

I personally only have the demo version. (I have seen the retail version and was considering purchasing it.) However after reading this thread, I am so disappointed that I think my lone yellow tang with his nag message will have to get used to swimming alone.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:58 PM   #27
wa2joc
Registered

I am with Jim on this issue. Kind of like colorizing black and white films that seemed to be the craze a few years back.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:22 PM   #28
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Hey Goose, you go ahead and buy that car and redecorate it the way you described it. – I still reserve the right to say it looks horrendous when you pass me on the street...

/Tiny Taste
Old 02-18-2002, 06:34 PM   #29
Socrates
Sage

If Jim had refused to continue the project when someone said they didn't like the look of a fish, then that would be overreacting.

It's the same thing.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Old 02-18-2002, 06:40 PM   #30
Jim Sachs
Developer

"Hey Michelangelo, we improved that Venus statue for you by chopping off the arms. How do you like it?"
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Old 02-18-2002, 06:57 PM   #31
feldon34
Forum Administrator

If Jim didn't want the Aquarium to run as the user desktop, he should have just said so a year and a half ago when people started asking for this feature, instead of saying it couldn't be done because of programming difficulty. Mixed messages if there ever were. *sigh*

I'm closing this thread as it can have no positive outcome from here.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
Closed Thread
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive