Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 05-18-2001, 03:19 AM   #21
sonichouse
Registered

Re: sound problems

I am running a Sound Blaster Live! with no problems on .99K and Win98.

Can't wait for the volume control though :-)
sonichouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 07:37 AM   #22
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I think the Sound Blaster PCI512 card is an Ensoniq card just like my PC128. It's just relabeled Creative Labs.

Nobody at Best Buy could give me a reason to buy the Creative Labs SB Live Value for $30 more, but now I know).

For anyone curious...

-Noise level
-Stupid automatic clipping control which makes it difficult/impossible to record live sources without having distortion
-REALLY bad drivers which like to uninstall themselves on 9x (works fine on Win2k)
-Sometimes acts like a half-duplex or single-channel card
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 08:08 PM   #23
valeryan
Registered

sound problems

By the way I just thought I would mention this I did some experimenting on my own being that I have lots of computes setting in my living room because I love to build them. I have several operating systems available I tested out the sound blaster PCI 512 and the SoundBlaster live 5.1 and 99k it works with these cards in windows 2000 and windows 98 it only stops working on my system that I am running windows me. I just thought that might be of some help and also might save you some time

Thanks

Vale
Eternally Someone Else
valeryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 10:29 PM   #24
feldon34
Forum Administrator

You know there is no official ME driver for that card, right?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 12:36 AM   #25
valeryan
Registered

sound problems

yeah i know its rather annoying however there is a driver for the sound blaster live 5.1 and it still has the problem under windows ME. i think that is just one more thing to show how much windows Me sucks and that we should all start using linux so that bill gates will go broke and have to live on the streets.

vale
Eternally Someone Else
Old 05-19-2001, 01:48 AM   #26
Jim Sachs
Developer

Anyone who does not have any sound in V.99K may try the version at: link=www.serenescreen.com/NewSound.zip

This version uses a different way of storing the sound. Let me know if it works any better.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 02:02 AM   #27
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

I'm running the Soundblaster Live! Value here, so this covers the Live! cards. No problems detected at all Jim.

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 10:21 AM   #28
Jim Sachs
Developer

OK, but I'm looking for a response from someone who had sound in v.99J, but not in v.99K.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-19-2001, 07:42 PM   #29
valeryan
Registered

sorry jim no change here. i ran the reg cleaner and started from scratch with the new sound file and still no sound under windows ME. if i switch back to 99j. i will have sound again. but i have tried 99k with a sound blaster live 5.1 and the PCI 512 no sound. it must be something to do with windows me though because it works with any other operating system. mater of fact my main computer is a dual boot system that runs windows 2000 and windows me and if i boot in to windows 2000 with the same sound card i get sound but not in windows me.

thanks

vale
Eternally Someone Else
Old 05-19-2001, 08:34 PM   #30
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try something else.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-20-2001, 12:04 PM   #31
Jim Sachs
Developer

Valeran - Which version of DirectX are you running?
Jim Sachs
Old 05-20-2001, 12:42 PM   #32
valeryan
Registered

hi jim im using version 8.0a and i tried reenstalling it this morning to see if that helped still no change. if you need anything else like system specs or what not let me know.

thanks

vale
Eternally Someone Else
Old 05-20-2001, 02:29 PM   #33
Jim Sachs
Developer

Valeryan -

Could you try this experiment for me?

In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.

Click the Windows Setup tab.

Click Multimedia, and then click Details.

Verify that the Audio Compression check box is selected. If it is not selected, click the check box to select it, and then click OK
Jim Sachs
Old 05-20-2001, 05:45 PM   #34
valeryan
Registered

bingo jim that fixed it i guess it was all my bad in the first place that audio compression thingy was not installed and when i installed it i got sound thanks for you time

vale
Eternally Someone Else
Old 05-20-2001, 08:48 PM   #35
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for your help on this problem. It had been reported by about a half-dozen people, and I was totally unable to duplicate it on any of my machines.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-08-2001, 10:55 AM   #36
MegaHertz
Registered

60Hz & Windows 2K

For those of you who are power users and don't mind fooling around in the registry. You can check out the following thread at the nVnews forums. It gives you a way to solve your refresh rate woes under Win2K (applies only to those with nVidia based graphics boards).

nV News Forums

Please read carefully before attempting this as you could cause yourself some problems if you mess up.
Hello...Welcome to the Police 9-1-1 Hotline..." If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly. If you are codependant, ask someone to press 2. If you are a multiple personality, press 3, 4, 5, and 6. If you are paranoid, we know who you are and we are tracing this call. If you are schizophrenic, a little voice will tell you what to do. If you are depressed, it doesn't matter which # you push it will be wrong anyway.
MegaHertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 04:48 PM   #37
MegaHertz
Registered

Changing Video Card Drivers

I was over at my favorite nVidia site and noticed that one of the members of the forum has written a little utility to remove detonator drivers 6.xx and up. Not sure how well it works yet but will try it out tonight and post an update. It is called Detonator Deleter you can download it for the following link.

www.kb244.com/Utils/detdel.htm

Remember this is only for those using nVidia reference drivers under Win9x/Me.
Hello...Welcome to the Police 9-1-1 Hotline..." If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly. If you are codependant, ask someone to press 2. If you are a multiple personality, press 3, 4, 5, and 6. If you are paranoid, we know who you are and we are tracing this call. If you are schizophrenic, a little voice will tell you what to do. If you are depressed, it doesn't matter which # you push it will be wrong anyway.
Old 06-28-2001, 11:19 PM   #38
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

compatible video accelerators

If it is compatible with your system the Savage 4 video card is excellent. I bought a triton card with 8 meg of vram for $40.00 which worked like ****. Then I brought it back and got a Savage 4 card with 16 meg of vram for the same price and it works great with everything I use.
Try it. For the price alone and the amount of vram it is perfect.

Your post was edited for language.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 02:26 AM   #39
MegaHertz
Registered

Re: HARDWARE Q & A

Jim,

Just curious to know if you are still planning to support passthrough video cards (i.e. Voodoo 2). My computer at work has no agp support and my only hope for running the screen saver is on a Voodoo 2. Its the only PCI video card I have left. Like I said I am just curious, Thanks for your time.
Old 07-07-2001, 03:12 AM   #40
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: HARDWARE Q & A

This will probably have to wait for the DX8 version.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive