Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 10-13-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Thisdude08
Registered

Question Couple quick questions

Hi all,

The beta seems to be working fine. A few questions...is there anyway to make the top light color black? It shows the fish & colors better (to my eyes) & It could be done with 2.6. Right now I can only get it to dark blue.

Is there a wide-screen mode?

Thanks for your time...it looks great !
Thisdude08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Black,
Nope. Maybe later.

Widescreen? How do you mean? Doesn't it fill your screen? Or do you mean you would like to see a larger part of the tank with black bars above and below? That will most likely be implemeted at a later stage.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
Thisdude08
Registered

Thanks for the quick reply !

Yes, a larger part of the tank is what I meant. Is that possible?

Also, is there any way to not have the scrolling on by default?
I know I can turn it off in settings but it is back on when re-loading the aquarium.

Thanks for your time !

Jim
Old 10-13-2008, 06:32 AM   #4
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

No there is no way to turn it off permanantly. Jim doesn't want to be responsible for any monitor problems so it will always default to scroll and the user must turn it off.

As for the color, yes that will be added in later, maybe even to the point where there are unlimited user selectable colors.

As for seeing a larger part of the tank, hit "F" for windowed mode and then drag it to the size you wish.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
Thisdude08
Registered

Thanks for the help. I would like to ask if scrolling can be turned
off by default...I understand trying to avoid monitor burn but perhaps as a registry setting where the average user wouldn't turn it off by accident yet a user that wants it off (most modern monitors will not burn) like myself could do this. It really helps with the screensaver part as I have a view I like & would like to have it load that way.

Also do you think that the clock will be available? (Such as Marine Aquarium 2 + time)

I really appreciate all the hard work here & it shows! There's no better aquarium program than this! Thanks also for putting up with all my questions.

Jim
Old 10-13-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

No worries that's what I am here for

As for "off by default" that's been asked before awhile back I think, and no that probably won't happen. Jim just can't take the chance of getting calls from people wanting monitors replaced no matter how obscure the chance might be. Better safe than sorry.

The clock will be added at a later date when a few other things are taken care of.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yeah, what Michael said.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:34 AM   #8
Thisdude08
Registered

Well then it looks like I won't be able to run the aquarium the way I want to...even though a user could hit the "p" key & pause the scrolling & then burn their monitor. I really do not understand why Jim would be responsible for this at all. Marine 2.6 didn't scroll by default. I still don't see why this feature can't be added to the latest version.

I would think the user agreement would cover anything that the software might do to ones computer (own risk etc) as with all software. Just as the beta version states very plainly.

If someone installs the beta & it crashes their machine is Jim responsible? I don't think so. So anything could happen & thats why I don't understand why scrolling can't bet off by default.

I don't mean to make a big deal of this but to me it's an important feature to have. So I am asking to please understand my reasons & to atleast mull it over. This is great software & not allowing a user to turn off a feature by default no matter what is harsh to those like me who want to do something the software has always been able to do in the past.

So please, could you consider it?

Best regards,

Jim
Old 10-14-2008, 05:10 AM   #9
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I'm sorry you feel that way. It has been considered long before this point and this was the decision that was already made. I fail to see why being safe and having the user press one key is so difficult to take. Sorry
Old 10-14-2008, 05:29 AM   #10
rctneil
Registered

Originally posted by Thisdude08:
Well then it looks like I won't be able to run the aquarium the way I want to...even though a user could hit the "p" key & pause the scrolling & then burn their monitor. I really do not understand why Jim would be responsible for this at all. Marine 2.6 didn't scroll by default. I still don't see why this feature can't be added to the latest version.

I would think the user agreement would cover anything that the software might do to ones computer (own risk etc) as with all software. Just as the beta version states very plainly.

If someone installs the beta & it crashes their machine is Jim responsible? I don't think so. So anything could happen & thats why I don't understand why scrolling can't bet off by default.

I don't mean to make a big deal of this but to me it's an important feature to have. So I am asking to please understand my reasons & to atleast mull it over. This is great software & not allowing a user to turn off a feature by default no matter what is harsh to those like me who want to do something the software has always been able to do in the past.

So please, could you consider it?

Best regards,

Jim  
Can't you just run the aqaurium for the first time and press "p" and then every time you run it from then on it will be paused with no scrolling?

Isn;t that exactly what you are after?
rctneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:50 AM   #11
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

What if there was a specific registry value one could alter (like setting AutoScrolling=1 to AutoScrolling=0) - that would mean any potential damage by burn-in would be the result of the user hacking the program and Jim would be 100% in the clear since it wasn't an official feature?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:16 AM   #12
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I don't think telling people to hack the registry is exactly something we should be advocating, do you?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:34 AM   #13
jleslie
Engineer

You could run it with one of the Windows automation tools that could immediately poke a "P" into it (and perhaps a few side arrows to select the viewpoint)? Also I can't see why being able to turn scrolling off is an issue, if people have to explicitly do it then they can't complain if their CRT (people still use these?) gets burned in (LCD burn-in seems much less of a risk and somewhat more fixable). Plus if the lights can be set to cycle, like 2.6, it shouldn't be an issue.
You could look at http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/ which might do the job? Or http://www.autohotkey.com/ ?
John
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:35 AM   #14
Thisdude08
Registered

I mentioned that earlier...perhaps a registry hack?

Please don't think I'm angry...I'm not...just trying to reason this out.

1. Today's monitors can not burn-in images no matter how long they are on the screen.

2. If someone has a monitor that will burn, they could still burn by pressing the "p" key. If they do not understand that scrolling off by default could burn their monitor, they would not understand that pressing "p" could also so this is not really helping anyone.

3. If someone has a monitor that can burn, couldn't they burn by using the same wallpaper/icons? Microsoft does not force you to use a screensaver to prevent this. It's the users responsibility. I feel Marine Aquarium should give their users the same benefit of the doubt.

4. We can't have a feature we want because of the actions of a very few? All software writers/companies know users can damage their computer if they do the wrong thing. But they don't cater or withhold features because of it, they explain what to do & not to do & the rest is up to you. No software can be blamed for this including Marine Aquarium.

Yes, I can accomplish the same by pressing "p" everytime the screensaver starts, but I don't feel as though I should have to. I still feel the scroll should be able to be turned off by default.

Jim should by all means do what he feels is best, but I can't help but present my feelings.

Again, I am not mad, unhappy or anything...just trying to get a feature in that should & always has been there.

Thanks for your thoughts & time.

Regards,

Jim
Old 10-14-2008, 06:38 AM   #15
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

No - I think there should be an option to have MA3 coming on with scrolling disabled, but since I'm not calling the shots here I was trying to come up with a workaround to make people happy. Maybe the could be a popup warning on the settings screen when you enable this feature?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #16
Jim Sachs
Developer

OK, I'll put in a secret command to stop auto-scrolling.
Jim Sachs
Old 10-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #17
Derrek
Registered

If you stop the scrolling it could present another problem. If you have 30 fish set and 20 of them are swimming off the screen some may think there is something wrong and want to see the full 30 fish swim in their frame of view.
Derrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #18
Jim Sachs
Developer

They'll eventually swim back into view.
Jim Sachs
Old 10-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #19
jleslie
Engineer

Once they school then all 30 could be at the other end ;-)
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #20
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Maybe when Jim gets the tap on the tank instituted we can peck on the monitor and run them back the other way.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows