Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-08-2003, 05:42 AM   #61
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

memilm, if the windowed mode timer is set to 1 second and not 1 minute like you said before, there really shouldn't be any problem with "cycle random fish". I did not change anything for that routine. If it worked in version 4.0.5 or 4.0.6 it should work in 4.0.7. You do have random fish-slots in your current MA2 settings, right? Otherwise Fish Picker will not even bother to try cycling, even with that option selected.
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 06:46 AM   #62
memilm
Registered

the old versions are also not working. Windowed mode ist set to 1 second.
I have 3 random fishes in the configuration file I want to start.
Can you tell me where I can found and read those saved configuration files? How about red letters by Starfish and Lighting by starting the picker? I click Apply and these became black, but by starting the picker again are red coloured again.
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:11 AM   #63
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

memilm, does it go into windowed mode at all? 1 second is probably too low on most systems. This is what I wrote in the readme:
Windowed mode: Launches the aquarium and sets it to windowed mode. To use this option you must first determine the time it takes the aquarium to launch. Then set the timer using the dropdown-list. Make sure it is set slightly higher than the aquarium's launchtime.
If you set the windowed mode timer lower than the MA2's launchtime Fish Picker sees MA2 is not running and stops its actions.
Can you tell me where I can found and read those saved configuration files?
They are in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FishPicker
I click Apply and these became black, but by starting the picker again are red coloured again
If you have been running MA2 in the meantime MA2 has changed those settings. That is obvious of course for the starfish, because it moves a little all the time. But I noticed sometimes the lighting also changes from the values set by Fish Picker although it is not set to automatic. The change is so subtle that you won't see it, but Fish Picker notices that it is different and therefore shows the text in red. MA1.1 didn't do that.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:58 AM   #64
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

A new Fish Picker version 4.0.8 is out: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker_ma2.zip

Thanks to memilm who sent me his Fish Picker registry settings I could fix the bug with "Cycle Random Fish". It appeared to cycle only with fish7 set to random! Which of course happened to be the case in my test setup. The bug must have been introduced in version 4.0.3. So everyone please download the now (hopefully) bugfree picker.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:02 PM   #65
Wizwad
Only me...

Many thanks for that, Mountainmaster. That's a grand job you're doing there. It does not go unappreciated in this quarter!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 12:28 PM   #66
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Fish Picker version 4.0.9 is out. Now it can be set as a screensaver! Just follow these steps:

First of course download it here: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker_ma2.zip

1. Copy picker.exe and all the files that came with it to your system folder. The system folder is usually located in "c:\windows\system" (Windows9x) or "c:\winnt\system32" (Windows NT/2000/XP) or a combination of those.

2. Rename the picker.exe in the system folder to picker.scr

3. Go to Display Properties - Screen Saver. If the previous steps went right you should see "picker" among your other screensavers. Select it and click OK to set as the default saver. Done!

4. Additionally you can select the "Minimize When... Aquarium Launches" in Fish Picker's preferences menu to make the operation look smoother.

Notes:
- Since Fish Picker is not a real screensaver it does not support screensaver password protection!
- When starting Fish Picker as a screensaver it will exit automatically shortly after MA2 exits.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:33 PM   #67
memilm
Registered

Exelent work, acting as a screensaver is great.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:13 AM   #68
clifdene
Registered

Mountainmaster. I appreciate all your efforts on our behalf.
For the benefit of the ordinary amateurs could you advise us if there is any need to further update Fish Picker 3.0.09. I am perfectly happy with what I have and have no wish to upset matters. I admit to being lost in the midst of all this expertise.
clifdene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:38 AM   #69
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

clifdene,

Fish Picker 3.0.9 works only for Marine Aquarium 1.1 and Fish Picker 4.xx only for Marine Aquarium 2.0.

Just like you can use MA 1.1 and MA 2.0 independently you can use Picker 3.xx and 4.xx independently. And just like MA 1.1 will (probably) not be developed any further, Picker 3.x development stopped with version 3.0.9.
At almost 25 m long Liopleurodon was the biggest carnivore that ever existed. It had an enormous 3 metre long mouth which contained teeth twice as long as those of Tyrannosaurus.
  Ronald Zaalberg, Creator of Fish Picker
Old 04-15-2003, 10:09 AM   #70
clifdene
Registered

Sorry. I am displaying my ignorance again. I have Picker for MA2. It is the last changes I am worried about.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:53 PM   #71
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

clifdene, if you are using version 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 and don't need the new "cycle custom settings" or "run picker as screensaver" possibilities, then by all means stick with it.
If however you are using any version from 4.0.3 to 4.0.7, I urge you to download the latest version 4.0.9 that fixes bugs of those. Implementing "cycle custom settings" has proved to be the challenge I feared it would be (which is why I delayed working on this requested feature for a long time), so it took a few builds to get it right.
At almost 25 m long Liopleurodon was the biggest carnivore that ever existed. It had an enormous 3 metre long mouth which contained teeth twice as long as those of Tyrannosaurus.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:06 AM   #72
clifdene
Registered

Mountainmaster. Thank you very much again. You have completely clarified the position.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:01 AM   #73
memilm
Registered

I observe an unregulated error.
After some hours of good working: picker started as screensaver, minimized, MA2 is windowed after 1 sec, the picker has opened the setting pannel from MA2 and not continued with pressing the space bar. I hit the spacebar manualy and than the picker will work OK, I don't know for how long...
Old 04-16-2003, 10:27 AM   #74
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Are you doing anything on your computer when that happens?

The Fish Picker readme says: You should neither access the aquarium manually nor actively use any other applications when this option is set.

Or are you maybe running other tasks in the background? When Fish Picker sends simulated keystrokes to MA2 the slightest activity from other programs can disrupt this.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:17 AM   #75
memilm
Registered

OK, I work on that computer, listen music, and watch the MA2 started windowed from picker. The most of time the picker get the focus from my application when it needed(5-10 min), set it to MA2, than hit twice the spacebar and I can switch to the other application and work.
The only thing to think if you can implement for the picker was, that when the setting panel from MA2 is opened, set the focus to it and hit the spacebar only one time, and try to keep the focus on the MA2 for every hit of the spacebar, not only for the firstone.
I read the readme, but I like this way to have it, and when you don't want to modify something, I'll understand your viewpoint.
Many thanks...
Old 04-17-2003, 01:20 PM   #76
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

when you don't want to modify something, I'll understand your viewpoint.
memilm, I really wish I knew how to make the modifications you suggest, but unfortunately I don't know how to make Fish Picker see the already open MA2 settings panel. I am doing a check for a running MA2, but because the settings panel and screensaver are part of the same application I can not distinguish between them, especially since their window captions are the same. Oh well, I am still learning... maybe I'll figure it out sometime.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:49 AM   #77
memilm
Registered

can you find a way to identify the setting panel from MA2 not only by name? This window has an OK and Cancel button, also has no minimise symbol on the right side of the title bar.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:43 AM   #78
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Fish Picker 4.1 is out: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker_ma2.zip

Fixed a time-out bug for the "Launch Aquarium" function that on slower systems caused Fish Picker to assume that launching had failed. This could prevent subsequent actions like "Windowed Mode" or the cycle options from being executed. Launch time-out is now set to 30 seconds.

<i>memilm wrote:</i> can you find a way to identify the setting panel from MA2 not only by name? This window has an OK and Cancel button, also has no minimise symbol on the right side of the title bar.
No, it doesn't quite work that way. An application can not "see" what other applications are showing on screen. All Fish Picker can do is check if MA2 is running and then it "blindly" sends the key-strokes. I think it would require reverse engineering (cracking) techniques to have any more control over MA2's processes, and those are illegal.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:51 PM   #79
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

As usual the previous bugfix caused another minor bug that I had to fix. So here is Fish Picker version 4.1.1: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker_ma2.zip

Fixed: Launching MA2 with the option "Minimize When... Aquarium launches" left picker visible in the taskbar when it should have minimized to the system tray only.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:49 AM   #80
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

A new <a href="http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker_ma2.zip">Fish Picker 4.1.2</a> is available. I finally fixed the CPU usage issue. Now Fish Picker no longer uses 100% CPU when cycling the Custom Settings!
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive