Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-26-2003, 04:34 PM   #21
feldon34
Forum Administrator

what is v.k and v.l?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 05:30 PM   #22
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

i guess v.99k or v99L, i forget. can i still download older versions
bob
handimannbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 05:33 PM   #23
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

i miss fishes swimming through layers more and swimming right at me now and then, especially in wide-screen version
bob
Old 03-26-2003, 06:19 PM   #24
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

will picker work in v.k and v.l.....
Not with 0.99K. The old Fish Picker 3.0.9 might support 0.99L since that was the first version that had its registry settings in CURRENT_USER instead of LOCAL_MACHINE. If you don't select the Lionfish it should work allright, but I can't guarantee anything.
You can still get Fish Picker 3.0.9 from my download page: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/software.htm
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 07:05 PM   #25
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

thanks mm i still have that one......
bob
Old 03-30-2003, 04:17 PM   #26
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Fish Picker 4.0.3 is available for download now from http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker_ma2.zip

Finally I added the longtime requested feature "Cycle Custom Settings"! I am not sure though if it will work on all systems. Please report any problems here. To avoid errors you should neither access the aquarium manually nor actively use other applications when this option is set!
Old 03-30-2003, 05:57 PM   #27
cjmaddy
Registered

Appears to work on my system just fine! - Not something I would particularly want myself, and as you say, not very serene when set for one minute , but for those that want this feature, it's fine.
Just a pity that the change over can not be smoother, but well done! - It works!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 06:41 PM   #28
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Thanks for the feedback Cliff. As I mentioned before I was worried about timing problems, especially on older systems. I guess your AMD K6-2 500MHz is somewhere in that category , so anything more recent should be fine as well.
The reall issue here is: Does your MA2 close within 2 seconds? Because that is the amount of time Fish Picker will allow before it starts writing new settings to the registry.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:26 PM   #29
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Could you give examples of the changeable tank settings you are using?

If you could create preset tanks with the fish you wanted, plus if you could control the frequency of each fish in the RANDOM selection, would this satisfy all your needs that you are meeting with Fish Picker?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-30-2003, 11:20 PM   #30
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

mm......on mine it closes to desktop and starts again, all in 3secs......intel 810 chipset..670mhz.....319ram.....hp pavilion6736
bob
Old 03-31-2003, 02:25 AM   #31
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
MM, it's really a nice feature u've implemented.....
this make me recall that some while ago back to AquaReal's forum, someone actually ask for this similar feature, that cycle through all the "*.ar" files(each *.ar files r the preset setting of the tank in AquaReal), Formosoft is planing to make that happen in future, but it's great to see there's a plugin for MA doing the same thing, I'm impressed.

U really done the nice job MM , btw, do u need more startfish position HEX value in registry? maybe I can help u again somehow as well as making the new empty tank picture with more starfish position label?

I like to be involved with the fish picker developement again

It should tell you guys something that Mountainmaster's program is now being seriously looked at when selecting features to add next to the Aquarium...
this is becoz MM"s picker converge all the wanted features that MA dont' have and those turns out very popular, it's very funny that many of those feature r actually planed in the future AR too(bcoz the demand on AR forum), such as cycling the random fish in an interval time, I do think this is a nice feature to cycle through all included fish in the program, so that the user dont' have to chaneg the setting many time, just leave the program runing and runing and eventually u can see all the fish. Since it's a popular demanding feature, MA really should add this function in future.

This feature not only reduce the complexity of UI as well as increase the usability intuitivism of the program and many fun with it too!!
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:45 AM   #32
cjmaddy
Registered

It 'snaps' from MA2 to the desktop instantly, then stays with the Desktop/FishPicker for about 8 secs, followed by about 8 secs of black screen. With 3 x 7 fish custom settings, it feels like it could go on for ever, - if I let it!

After choosing 'Cycle Custom Settings' you have to remember to press the 'Apply' button before 'Start'ing the aquarium!
Could 'Start' be programed to override 'Apply' ? - Just a thought!

I didn't think I needed this, - but I quite like it! ..... I could get used to this!

CPU ........ AMD K6-2 500MHz
Windows .... 98SE
Motherboard. TMC AI5VG+ 100Mz (VIA MVP3)
Video card . GeForce4 MX440 64mb AGP (Driver 4.13.01.3140)
Sound card . Sound Blaster AWE-32 (Driver 4.38.16)
DirectX .... Version 8.1b
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 10:50 AM   #33
riz
Registered

Mountainmaster, you da man! That is awesome and it works perfectly! Now I can have different colored backgrounds without having to have 'automatic lights' on... finally the deep blue background can be seen without having to keep in on it all the time... and of course, I can randomize my own fish, leaving out my few least favs... I do have a server machine in my entertainment center running the aquarium full time and this is absolutely the answer to a new look every hour... new fish that I pick and a different color background to boot!

Great job! and thx,
riz
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 10:53 AM   #34
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Could you give examples of the changeable tank settings you are using?
Morgan, I am not sure if I understand your question right, but the settings that are cycled are those that the users has stored under Custom Settings. When nothing was stored there there won't be any cycling.
btw, do u need more startfish position HEX value in registry?
James, some more positions up high on the glass would be nice. But to be honest I am not really looking forward to working on the image-map again, because there is a lot of trial and error involved in getting those coordinates right. So in short: Yes, I would appreciate more starfish positions, but it may be a while before I pick up the courage to implement them.
After choosing 'Cycle Custom Settings' you have to remember to press the 'Apply' button before 'Start'ing the aquarium!
Cliff, the cycling actually begins the second time the aquarium is started. Which setting you get the first time is indeed determined by what you applied last.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:07 PM   #35
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Mountainmaster
Morgan, I am not sure if I understand your question right, but the settings that are cycled are those that the users has stored under Custom Settings. When nothing was stored there there won't be any cycling.
I guess I'd better download it and try it out.

What I mean is, besides manually setting fish and starfish locations, what else is essential to the "Changeable Tanks"? Do people want sound/bubble settings remembered with 1 tank vs. another?
Old 03-31-2003, 04:31 PM   #36
riz
Registered

Mountainamster, it appears I have found a small bug...

it seems that I see this error more consistantly when I have more than 3 custom saves... though on one machine I can have 3 saves but when I add the fourth I see the errror... on my main pc, I get the error every time... I've tested a bunch of different scenarios and don't have an exact answer on when it happens unfortunately...

Basically I created 5 saves, one for each shade of background... I've created the new save, hit the apply button, created another, saved and applied... etc... chose 'cycle custom settings, chose 1 minute for testing purposes... it doesn't cycle after a minute, then when I escape the aquarium, the message is there...

Just wanted to let you know,
riz
Old 03-31-2003, 05:32 PM   #37
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

riz, it is probably the timing problem I mentioned earlier. The aquarium does not close down within the 2 seconds Fish Picker allows it to do that. I should have used a wait-loop that checks when the aquarium stops. Oh well, tomorrow is my day off so I may have some time to look into it.

Morgan, ask anyone and they'll say: the more features that are stored in custom settings the better Personally I think the bubble column should be in there, but I don't care much for the sound since I usually have a CD playing with all other sounds turned off.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:22 AM   #38
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Ok, I think I fixed it in this new version 4.0.4. http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker_ma2.zip

riz, can you check if this one works for you?
Old 04-01-2003, 09:48 AM   #39
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

mm....what an addition to fish picker.......adds a whole new dimension to MA...... works great with 9 "tanks" so far.......how many "saves" can we have........would be nice to have a 2min. cycle time, 1min. not quite long enough, 5min. too long sometimes. so many beautiful fish to see
bob
Old 04-01-2003, 02:29 PM   #40
riz
Registered

mountainmaster... unfortuantely no, it's still now working... BUT, the error message is gone...

This is what I've now noticed... with the settings at 1 minute custom cycle... at over one minute nothing appears to have happened (no cycling of custom saves) but if i move the mouse, the aquarium doesn't close, it refreshes and loads up the next custom setting... if I move it again before the minute, it closes...

Basically if you move the mouse after each minute, it is correctly cycling the custom saves... but not on it's own, only because of the mouse move, double-spacebar doesn't work tho... if I move the mouse before the first minutes it closes, if I wait to move the mouse after the first minute but before the second it closes...

Hope this helps,
riz

P.S. My two machines use Nvidia cards... one a g4 ti4400, the other a g4 mx420... both with the 43.45 dets
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive