Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 02:23 AM   #1
byteful
Registered

Make my own music

How do I, or even can I make MP3 files into the type that MA3 uses???? I like the music file that comes with the screensaver "stock" but would like to either add to it or replace it on occation.

Thanks
RW
byteful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

My understanding is, Marine Aquarium 3 will play back any standard mp3 file. Is this not what you are experiencing?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by byteful:
How do I, or even can I make MP3 files into the type that MA3 uses???? I like the music file that comes with the screensaver "stock" but would like to either add to it or replace it on occation.

Thanks
RW  
Perhaps you are assuming that it must be a ".sgt" file like CanonGuitar.sgt

Try adding your own .mp3 (or other) music files, in the Music Playlist.

Oh, use the latest "Beta" version (11f at this time) available here, or you may be confused with how to add the music.

Let us know how that works.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
byteful
Registered

Thanks Yall. Will check it out and let ya know how it goes.
byteful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Pepper
Registered

I can't get MP3 to play in MA3

I am running a Windows 7 pc, 64 bit, 4 Gb RAM, 1680 x 1050 display, and my MA3 version 3 will not let me use an MP3 music file. I like the guitar music, but I'd like to vary it if possible with my own MP3s. I right click on the desktop, select Personalize, select Preview for my MA3. While the Aquarium is running I press spaebar to call up the Controls, I then select Music, browse to my MP3, but if I select it, it does not play, and if I go back into the Aquarium Controls I see that my music file is no longer there.

Please advise - I hope you can help me resolve this or tell me what I'm doing wrong
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Pepper,

Welcome to the forums.

Where did you get this mp3 file, or if you created it, what program did you use?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 06-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by feldon34:
Pepper,

Welcome to the forums.

Where did you get this mp3 file, or if you created it, what program did you use?  
Morgan, the problem is almost certainly not with the mp3 file.

See the very bottom of page 1 of https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...ead.php?t=5164

Pepper, thanks for describing precisely what you were doing. The bug is present in earlier versions of MA3 (like version 10d) - and only appears if you access this way:

"right click on the desktop, select Personalize, select Preview for my MA3. While the Aquarium is running I press spaebar to call up the Controls, I then select Music,"...

One solution is to run MA3 by clicking on the desktop icon (if you have one), or just let it start as a screensaver. Then press the spacebar, etc....

I think the bug has been fixed in the latest Beta, although I didn't test it in 11i. If you would like to try that, see https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...ead.php?t=4385

Be sure to follow the directions for where to put the files, etc. etc.

Oh, and please come back and let us know if that works.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
JohnWho
Registered

Also, after you "select" an MP3, and it shows in the list,

make sure you exit that screen by using the "OK" button.

"Cancel" pretty much ignores any changes or additions you've made.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
Pepper
Registered

Many thanks, but maybe a new question?

Many thanks for your help with this problem.

I first made myself a desktop icon, then I followed that through to Marine Aquarium, where I clicked the SpaceBar, music, and added my MP3. It now works fine, but strangely the music only seems to stay put as my chosen song if I click Cancel - if I click OK the music reverts to the guitar. Could the buttons be inverted somehow?

Incidentally, the MP3 was originally an m4a song which I bought from Itunes and converted to MP3 with All Music Converter 4.0.2 I hope this is acceptable and allowed
Old 06-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Pepper:
Many thanks for your help with this problem.

I first made myself a desktop icon, then I followed that through to Marine Aquarium, where I clicked the SpaceBar, music, and added my MP3. It now works fine, but strangely the music only seems to stay put as my chosen song if I click Cancel - if I click OK the music reverts to the guitar. Could the buttons be inverted somehow?  
What version are you using? (Start MA3 using the desktop icon, and then press the "S" key while MA3 is running).
Old 06-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
Pepper
Registered

more details

I started MA3 using desktop icon, pressed s and got #0 Beta 10D

Is there a later version?

I also found that the song I wanted was no longer staying selected - the Aquarium was reverting back to the guitar. I seem to have fixed that by removing guitar from the list in music. I hope I will be able to put it back when I want to use it again
Old 06-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
Jim Sachs
Developer

You can download version 11i, which fixes this problem. The full installer version is not available yet, but you can simply replace the exiting file with the new one. More info here: https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...ead.php?t=4385
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Pepper:
I also found that the song I wanted was no longer staying selected - the Aquarium was reverting back to the guitar. I seem to have fixed that by removing guitar from the list in music. I hope I will be able to put it back when I want to use it again  
All of the songs that are in the list will play. I think in version 10d, they just play in order. But in the latest version (11i), there is a checkbox to make them play randomly.

The only way to get a song to not play, is to remove it from the list. If you want to get the CanonGuitar.sgt song back (after removing it), ask in this forum for instructions - it's not obvious.

(JohnWho - consider putting instructions in the readme).
Old 06-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Jim,

It seems a lot of users are running Beta 10D and don't realize there's a later version. Didn't you put an expiration date?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #15
Jim Sachs
Developer

No, 10d is still the official version on SereneScreen.com.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
JohnWho
Registered

Originally posted by Dale:
The only way to get a song to not play, is to remove it from the list. If you want to get the CanonGuitar.sgt song back (after removing it), ask in this forum for instructions - it's not obvious.

(JohnWho - consider putting instructions in the readme).  
Good idea.

Could you point me toward the steps, or add it to the help me with the Readme thread?

I will check the final beta to see what happens when there are not files in the list and "music on" is selected, too, and add an appropriate note in the readme.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #17
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by feldon34:
Jim,

It seems a lot of users are running Beta 10D and don't realize there's a later version. Didn't you put an expiration date?  
This suggests that perhaps there should be a way to (at least) tell whether someone is running Beta or "Production". I absolutely agree with your point, and I think you just made an excellent suggestion.

Beta 10d expired almost a year ago.
Installer 10d doesn't expire, but has had several builds.

After 11x and 12y and 13z come out, it's going to be really complicated for technical support.

A partial discussion (which you commented had no point to it) is at:

https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...ead.php?t=5198

And you also know that people who purchased and installed 10d (or previous versions, for that matter) will not be automatically notified when there is a new "installer" version.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Dale:
This suggests that perhaps there should be a way to (at least) tell whether someone is running Beta or "Production".  
There already is. A beta displays the stats by default and will expire; a production version does not display the stats by default..... except for a few recent betas that Jim posted. (and those have expired)
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #19
JohnWho
Registered

In any case, doesn't the information show in the Statistics display?

The installer version of "beta 10d" shows that, doesn't it?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #20
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

That... goes back to the naming convention.. that Jim said he would change with the next stable production. Up to now.... ALL versions were labeled as BETA (which evidently bothered a lot of people) but PRODUCTION versions had the statistics off by default and do not expire...
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows