Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-22-2002, 11:10 PM   #121
Jroztan
Registered

Smile

Ok, thanks Jim, at least it still look nice without the bubble. thnx
Jacky Tan

WIWIWIG
What I Want Is What I Get
Jroztan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 02:35 AM   #122
Some Funky Dude
Registered

welcome, you've got mail, no just kidding, I'm here, so hi everyone.

I just wanted to say, that the screensaver looks really good, i'm quite impressed, and i actually find it inspiring, it makes me want to go out and get a saltwater fishtake, too bad i move a lot, it just wouldn't work out.
Have you ever heard of a talking mule?
Some Funky Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 03:14 AM   #123
Dave Lo
Registered

Thumbs Down all working now

Prolific must have had quite a backlog to deal with; but as usual Jim came to the rescue and provided the updated codes. And I also appreciate that Matt from Prolific publicly offered to take care of keycode situations that took longer than 48 hours. This type of great dedication and service from is so rare in the software industry nowadays.

The lionfish looks so stately. It is definitely a fish that gets its own non-random slot.
/Dave
Dave Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 10:39 AM   #124
nicksteel
Registered

Smile Finally........

Finally got latest version installed. I had DirectX problems and had to reinstall it and drivers.

Jim,

From one old Healey guy to another (and a fellow programmer), I'm impressed.

Nick
nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 01:35 PM   #125
procerus
Registered

Big Grin

Still waiting here 48 hours after initially emailing Prolific about not being found in the database. I've emailed Matt directly. I'm one of the early adopters (early September 2000) too.

Hopefully they'll get around to me on Monday. I would just buy the saver again but I'm disabled and have had no income for 4 years now.

I'm sure all the suspense will help me to appreciate 1.1 all the more when I get it!
procerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 03:23 PM   #126
Jim Sachs
Developer

Procurus - I'd like to help you, but you have no PM button.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 03:42 PM   #127
procerus
Registered

Angry Thank you!

Thanks for working some magic and sorting my code out, Jim!

My PC is a great resource to me. And your screensaver has become a vital part of that over the 18 months that I've had it. Just watching the fish helps me to relax and gives me great pleasure.

Bless you and thanks for everything.
procerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 04:25 PM   #128
Perkolater
Registered

Fantastic!

Thanks for all the hard work! I didn't get the email, but went to the website, requested a key code, got it in less than 5 minutes and upgraded flawlessly! I buy a lot of things for my computer, but this has to be one of the best purchases I ever made! Great product, great service.... I just requested the wide screen version... can't wait until I get it!

Thanks again for all of your effort.... I'll be sure to spread the word!
Perkolater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 05:10 PM   #129
pipeta
Royal Gramma

Perkolater, v1.1 widescreen is not ready yet. It will be available in a few weeks. Jim found some problems with it and has to fix them. We will get it as soon as it's ready.
pipeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 05:20 PM   #130
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Send an e-mail to sachsnotify@feldoncentral.com with WIDE in the topic to get notified.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 05:53 PM   #131
Drav1212
Registered

Smile version 1.1

I was having trouble with the new version of 1.1. then realized that my memory resource was low...So did a MSCONFIG and took some of my start ups off....

So people may want to keep an eye out for that if they are having problems.

This is for Mr.Sachs,
I think the new Lion Fish is great. However, I think you should stop installing NEW fish and work with the fish you already have. For Example:

1. I don't see any fish sucking the bottem of the aquarieum,
searching for food.
2. After they suck up a coupl of small rocks they usually then
spit them out.
3. I dont see any fish going to the top to suck in some air..
4. As the fish swims through the bubbles, they just swim through it, however in real tanks the bubbles push up the fish as they try to swim through the bubble stream.

thats it for now.

Thanks
Drav1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 06:16 PM   #132
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Drav,

You still think the Aquarium is a scam?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 10:08 PM   #133
Jroztan
Registered

Cool

I Love ur Aquarium Jim,

but,

1) I do not see any changes in 3D background
2) I do not see any changes in other fish behavior
3) How come I cant feed the fish???
4) and blah blah blah,

BUT,

why cant i just be patient? Why cant i wait? I had waited for so long, mebe i'll just wait for the time being.. Yeah, i think i'll wait and be happy with what i have.

I prefer quality rather than lousy new version which come out every new days which is fill up with bugs.

IMHO,

at least jim have given me extra few things that i never thought off :-

1) A new usage for my TV output cable which is unused since day one.
2) A new fresh, fantastic inlook into the ScreenSaver Terminology.
3) A relaxing time infront of the computer after a hard day of work.
4) A new way to attract more gals (Hehe)
5) No hassle in getting a real aquarium.
6) A new playground for my cats
7) and etc....etc...etc......

This post is not intented for anyone except just to express my deep fanatastical feeling towards the aquarium and the SOLE developer of it.

[Saya Cintai Aquarium Dan Jim Sachs.
Aquarium Boleh!!!!
Jim Boleh!!!]
(Malaysia Language)
Jacky Tan

WIWIWIG
What I Want Is What I Get

Last edited by Jroztan; 02-23-2002 at 10:11 PM.
Jroztan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 09:39 AM   #134
Perkolater
Registered

Embarassed No problem

Originally posted by pipeta
Perkolater, v1.1 widescreen is not ready yet. It will be available in a few weeks. Jim found some problems with it and has to fix them. We will get it as soon as it's ready.
I didn't mean to imply any impatience, I can wait as long as it takes. I'm happy with what I have!

I'll send that email now too! Thanks!
Perkolater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 09:48 AM   #135
Lester Jacobs
Registered

Aquarium "flashing" problem

Hi,

Firstly I'd like to say that I'm a happy user of the aquarium and my upgrade to v1.1 went flawlessly. Kudos!

However, unfortunately, I have noticed a issue with v1.1 that wasn't present in 99L. I've managed to find a reasonable workaround but I believe the issue still needs to be looked at.

Firstly system specs:
CPU: P4 1.5Ghz
Video: ATI Radeon All In Wonder 32MB, driver version 5.13.01.6014

Now the problem. Whenever I'm running the aquarium whilst another program is running in the background (eg. MusicMatch for background music) the aquarium has an annoying "flashing". What I mean by flashing is that it appears that the entire screen goes black for about a microsecond or so at intervals ranging from .5 to 2 seconds. It almost appears to be some sort of vertical sync issue.

Here's what I tried:
1) I never noticed the problem in 99L so I reinstalled 99L and tested it and sure enough the problem wasn't there. I put back v1.1 and the problem reappears
2) I went into the video card driver's control panel and disabled "Wait for vertical sync". This fixed the flashing problem if I set the "limit to 60 frames" in the aquarium settings, but if I unchecked the "limit to 60 frames" then the flashing reappeared. Setting the 60 frame limit, while it did solve the flashing problem, introduced a new issue where the aquarium appeared to be experiencing "frame drops". That is, the fish movements appear jerky when they move at moderate to fast speed. When they move slower the jerkyness isn't as apparent.
3) If I have no programs running in the background, there is no flashing problem. I tried running the aquarium at low and normal priority to see the differences but changing the priority settings did not help the flashing once I started up a program in the background.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a solution?

Cheers
Lester
Lester Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 11:45 AM   #136
peter piscis
Carpe Piscis

flash

In previous versions pressing Alt-S fixed "jerky" behavior intoduced by tasks runing in the background. I think that Alt-S is saved if you then go in and out of the settings page, but the experts can confirm this.
peter piscis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 01:41 PM   #137
Lester Jacobs
Registered

Re: flash

Originally posted by peter piscis
In previous versions pressing Alt-S fixed "jerky" behavior intoduced by tasks runing in the background. I think that Alt-S is saved if you then go in and out of the settings page, but the experts can confirm this.
Thanks for the reply. I just tried that and it didn't seem to help.

Cheers
Lester
Lester Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 02:40 PM   #138
Jim Sachs
Developer

The timing is different on just about every computer out there, which is what makes smooth real-time animation so difficult on a computer. Other tasks running in the background can mess with the timing of the Aquarium. You might try switching the Vsync position in Display Properties. Some systems like it on, some off.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 03:00 PM   #139
pipeta
Royal Gramma

I don't usually have problems with timing but when I run DOS programs the screensaver pauses once every 2-3 seconds for a short time and then continues... I would guess I am not the only one experiencing thes problem, just want to make sure (I'm using WinXP).
pipeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 08:00 PM   #140
Rod Stiles
Hardware Engineer

Re: Re: flash

Originally posted by Lester Jacobs

Thanks for the reply. I just tried that and it didn't seem to help.

Cheers
Lester
Try CTRL-S I found it makes a difference.

CTRL-S is like pressing S to display the frame rate but without actually displaying it.

For some reason, the frame rate display helps to stabilise the fish movements on some systems. So, if the fish move more smoothly with the frame rate displayed, you can use CTRL-S to turn on (or turn off) this function.

Also, the current state is saved if you open the settings panel and close it again.

Last edited by Rod Stiles; 02-24-2002 at 08:02 PM.
Rod Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive