Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > FlagPride
Notices

Old 03-31-2004, 10:16 AM   #101
grape_jellyfish
Registered

After carefully reading every post I would just like to say...

Interesting thread, now back to my graphic design.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
grape_jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:32 AM   #102
feldon34
Forum Administrator

That's what scares me about Bush and Ashcroft. If this is going to turn into one nation, under Christianity, it's time for me to move somewhere else. I thought this country was about respecting different ideas.

Fuel ->>> Fire
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:32 AM   #103
Marian Nichols
~Author~

I am not biting Morgan,
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:37 AM   #104
drfish
the Doc

First he posts the picture, then that... What's gotten into you Morgan? Maybe we do need a "smokey back room."

I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:40 AM   #105
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Michael,
I was pretty firm in my beliefs about that one too. Guess I was trying something of Morgans F->>F stuff.

I'm about to drop this one now if nobody decides to write something particulary interesting. I learned a whole bunch of new words and managed to at least stay on par with Reichart. That's not too shabby...

Shame he went belly-up after Jim and Cliff confused him like that

Remember there's an election coming up for you guys. – Even if you only have two guys to chose from, – it's more democracy than no choice at all so chip in and try and get the guy who gets the most votes into office this time...

/Tiny Florida
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:54 AM   #106
drfish
the Doc

ouch...

Is the rest of the world still talking about that?

Edit: You know, that embarrasment smilie looks more like it's yawning...

Edit 2: Hey, just noticed that there are a couple smilies in the directory that we don't use...

&
Old 03-31-2004, 12:44 PM   #107
feldon34
Forum Administrator

There are people who veil themselves in the cloak of Christianity and still do bad things. And there are people who are nice who aren't Christian. I judge people based on how they act, not any allegiance to a certain religion (Of course if someone were in a recognized cult, I would try to help them).

I thought the whole idea of a religion was to find a moral center and meaning in one's life. To be content and confident and nice to people. I manage to do that without being Christian. I used to be a master liar and manipulator. One day I decided I would not lie anymore. It wasn't easy, but now I follow the simple policy of honesty. I've lost some friends and gained others over it. When people hear me talk, I'm sure they think "If he says that in front of my face, I can only imagine what he says behind my back."

Also, this is the most important part. I attribute my successes and failures to myself or anyone along the way who has had an impact on my life. I don't give credit to anyone (or any spiritual force) unless I have reason to believe they have had a genuine impact on me.

Having been to the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris, France, even as a non-Christian, I can tell you that that place has *presence*. Even a non-believer would be awed at the commitment to build such a shrine.

And yes, this thread is NOT where this forum is going. This is and will be a "one-of-a-kind thread". You'll notice it is in the Prolific area. It would have been closed long ago if it were in the SereneScreen area. Flag burning had to be discussed somewhere. I can't see us just tapdancing around it forever.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-31-2004, 02:31 PM   #108
klyntun

Hmmm...tapdancing around a burning flag...
>>thinks "Sounds like part of my Beltane Celebration this year"<<

But seriously, I had a question about the idea of "flaming" in relation to forum discussions. What exactly is considered to be "flaming" another poster? When I said "Flame on, ya'll" in my earlier post, it was a pun referring to myself putting my picture on a flag and then setting it on fire (on the screensaver).
I ask only because I want to participate in such discussions in a mature and reasonable manner, and don't want to "flame" anyone inadvertantly.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:17 PM   #109
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

A "Flame" is a broad term used to signify that someone is intentionally trying to start an argument. It can be either a direct insult to another forum member, or an excessive amount of "stretching the rules" that is obviously an effort to try and bait someone into an argument or cause general forum disruption. For the most part we have been able to enjoy years worth of peace and quiet here and participate in intelligent discussions, or jokes, or whatever, because generally acknowledged "Hot" topics that people would/might/could lose their temper over are not allowed as part and parcel of this forum. In addition I give credit to all our posting forum members for being what I would call generally level headed people that come here mainly for this reason. There are tons and tons of places on the net that you can experience the other side of the coin, and I for one am quite proud of our record. So my personal thanks to everyone involved for the phenomenal results that we have experienced so far.

Historically, this site was created for support and to represent Jim Sachs and his line of "Serene" screensavers, even though it has developed into more than that over time. To me personally, it would be a shame to represent something with the name Serene in the title and be a place where people were exposed to anything and everything but a serene atmosphere.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 05:12 PM   #110
Manymosi
Registered

Thanks Jav, I'm glad you said that. I understand how this thread got started and I also understand why you are stopping it. It made me very uncomfortable to read some of the opinions voiced here(no I won't tell whose!). These type of topics are best debated in person when one can tell when something is said in jest. I just want to read about the Serene Screensavers and other non controversial/somewhat related topics.
Manymosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 12:08 AM   #111
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I always thought "flaming" was just a direct insult to another forum member's idea, opinion, or otherwise, but those other definations can also certainly apply here.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 12:25 AM   #112
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I second Pat's opinion, flaming is giving someone a verbal lashing in public.

Intentionally trying to start an argument would be trolling and the person doing that is referred to as a troll.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:27 AM   #113
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Trolling is trying to get an argument started.

Baiting is saying something that you know will personally affect a particular person.

Flaming is attacking an individual or group.

Trifle is an English dessert made with pound cake soaked in dry sherry and layered with egg custard and raspberries.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:26 AM   #114
grape_jellyfish
Registered

That's funny Morgan, didnt know you had it in ya.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:45 AM   #115
drfish
the Doc

Originally posted by feldon28
Baiting is saying something that you know will personally affect a particular person.
No, that's "flamebaiting," you are so wrong!

j/k!

Edit: Hmmm... That's probably just "lame."

Last edited by drfish; 04-01-2004 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:55 AM   #116
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Flambéing is adding alcohol to a saucepan and lighting it on fire to add a caramelized taste to the dish.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:44 AM   #117
grape_jellyfish
Registered

Do you realize how many house fires there will be now that you posted that???????

Old 04-01-2004, 08:51 AM   #118
klyntun

Not something to trifle with.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:29 AM   #119
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Y'know, if you've got a Javelin 400 boat, you cold go trolling for fish...

Interesting direction this thread has taken, btw.

Old 04-01-2004, 10:43 AM   #120
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Actually I do. Thats where it comes from. I used to be on a fishing board alot and I adopted the name from my Javelin 400TE. It sounded better than Ev225 which is for the motor.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > FlagPride