Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Dale
Banned

Bug - Preview Mode

In the Screen Saver tab of the Display Properties dialog box, clicking on the Preview button causes MA3 to run in simulator mode, instead of in screensaver mode.

Relatively minor bug, but needs to be on "the list" to be fixed.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

What's the difference again?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
What's the difference again?  
Allow me to elucidate (you already know these facts - it's just the relationship that I'm pointing out)

The Screen Saver always runs in full-screen mode. If "Exit on Mouse Move" is checked in Program Settings, moving the mouse exits the Screen Saver.

Screen Saver tab of Display Properties - click on Preview

MA3 comes up, but moving the mouse does not close it. [mouse-move-exit would be expected behavior for PREVIEW of most other screensavers]

==================

Let's assume that, in Program Settings, "Start in Windowed Mode" is also checked.

Screen Saver tab of Display Properties - click on Preview

MA3 comes up in windowed (simulator) mode. Moving the mouse doesn't exit.

Conclusion: Screen Saver Preview isn't a preview of the screensaver.

Footnote: if I'm using the wrong terminology, please correct me.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

I see - I guess you mean Windowed mode.

Everything seems to be working the way I want it. Starting the program by clicking Preview will fire it up with whatever settings the user has chosen. Clicking on Settings will allow the user to change settings without starting the program. I find the combination of these two items (Windowed mode and Settings without running) vital for troubleshooting. If the user wants to see full-screen mode, they can either turn off "Start in Windowed Mode" or just hit "F".

At one time I had "Exit on Mouse Move" apply to Windowed Mode as well as full-screen, but it caused more confusion and trouble than it was worth, since moving the mouse only sends signals to my window if the cursor happens to be over the window. There are three ways of closing the window, which is enough for me.

Comparisons with screensavers don't really apply here. This is a marine aquarium simulation with a few extra touches which allow it to be used as a screensaver (an afterthought). I'm not aware of any screensavers that even have a Windowed mode, unless some have come out recently.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
Dale
Banned

OK, I understand. Mark this one "Not a Bug - Working As Designed".

I was confused by being on the Screen Saver tab and clicking Preview.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows