Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-08-2002, 12:55 AM   #1
W4TAZ
Registered

Big Grin G-Force 3 at 9 fps

I have a VisionTek Gforce 3.
Computer is Pentium 3 600mhz, over 300 megs ram etc...

I have set the settings to high color and it still says 9 fps Direct 3D HAL. I have 2 other computers, one with a voodoo card that runs it fine and another computer with a cheap onboard intel video that also runs great.

Is there a setting I might have wrong somewhere?

I would be pulling my hair out but I don't have any left to pull!

W4TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 01:20 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Make sure full-screen-antialiasing is off.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 08:11 PM   #3
W4TAZ
Registered

tried your suggestion

I tried your suggestion. I used every antialiasing option in the settings. Stayed the same at 9.60 fps. I appreciate you writing back to me so soon. Hope I can figure this thing out. I love the screen saver!

By the way Mr. Sachs. I was a big fan of yours way back in the Amiga days. You are still one of the best computer artists I have ever seen.

Thanks again!

Mark Hodge
W4TAZ
Old 02-09-2002, 08:38 AM   #4
HellBound
Registered

The geforce 3 only works fully on a 700mhz or more cpu.
HellBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 09:59 AM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

HellBound,

He will get 200fps even on a Pentium 2 233.

Please stop demanding that users upgrade their equipment unnecessarily.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 02-09-2002 at 10:04 AM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 10:03 AM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

W4TAZ,

How are you modifying the anti-aliasing settings?

Do you have NVMax?

http://www.nvmax.com/cgi-bin/nvmax.pl?action=download or http://www.tweak.dk/tweaking.php

Make sure you are running the latest drivers for the GeForce 3, available at http://www.nVidia.com/ (click Download Drivers in the navigation bar at the top)
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 02-09-2002, 10:19 AM   #7
HellBound
Registered

Feldon stop putting words in my mouth.
I said the geforce 3 wouldn't work fully on his 600mhz system it will work just not to its full potential. I didn't say upgrade. I'am tired of you putting words in my mouth.
Old 02-09-2002, 11:55 AM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

HellBound,

This is your last warning or you will be banned from the forum.

Stop putting people's systems/hardware down for being "ancient".
Old 02-09-2002, 12:37 PM   #9
W4TAZ
Registered

drivers

I just loaded the original drivers that came with the videocard. I am now getting 86 fps.
I guess there is a conflict with the 23.11 drivers. I am going to reinstall the 23.11 drivers and wait for an upgrade in the screensaver or the drivers.

Thanks for all the help!

Mark
W4TAZ Amateur radio at it's best!
Old 02-09-2002, 01:37 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Looks like Michael deleted HellBounds's post already. Anyway...

I operate this forum with a charter from Jim Sachs.

He has asked me not to allow offensive, abusive, attacking posts. This includes insulting people's hardware.

If ANYONE feels that I am being heavy-handed with my operation of this forum, please contact Jim Sachs and let him know the situation.

I am not a jerkoff. I am not a power control freak. I worry incessently if I am being heavy-handed on this forum and properly balancing between free speech and an environment that encourages people to post questions.

HellBound, after your comments about people's Voodoo and Pentium III's, why should ANYONE feel comfortable asking support questions here if they are going to be insulted, attacked, or asked to buy $200 worth of hardware to fix a problem they're having with a $20 screen saver?

The thing that is upsetting me most lately is that people are accusing me of being closed-minded or running the forum badly.

I have been running chatrooms and participating in forums with much less free speech than this one for the last 4 years and I felt I'd brought something from it.

Yes, free speech is abridged on this forum. It's NOT a free-for-all.

Last edited by feldon34; 02-09-2002 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2002, 01:46 PM   #11
HellBound
Registered

Acually I deleted my own post because I thought I should maybe jsut let this one go. Again this post the post I made in this one not the others this one. The thing I said was: The geforce 3 only works fully on a 700mhz or more cpu
in no way is that asking them to buy a new card or saying there system sucks .all I said is , is the truth. You know it and I know it that wut I posted in this topic is true. Thats the only thing that pissed me off. The others I can see why you think there offensive but the first psot I posted in this topic is in no way offensive.

Last edited by HellBound; 02-09-2002 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:17 PM   #12
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

No worries, HellBound. Your GF3 performace reply was true, if not that important in this specific matter since it was a case of newer drivers being worse than older (Look Morgan, I finally admitted that! ). I'm sure Morgan just was a bit revved up by the earlier posts. Of course I missed the deleted post so I guess I should just shut my trap right now...
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 12:06 AM   #13
Donna68
Registered

I have the gf3 too and I'm getting 100 fps...and I have a xps r400 dell...pentium II....

Donna
Donna68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 12:52 AM   #14
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Donna, so your illegal operation errors went away? What version of nvidia drivers are you using? What resolution do you use when you run the aquarium? I am just curious.

Hellbound,

There is no way for anyone to be able to read your mind. I do understand what you said and you are right. A more powerful processor is needed to max out the fill rate of a GeForce 3. But, when I look at the problem that this person had, then read your words, it would be very easy for me to infer that I would need a more powerful CPU in order to make the aquarium stop running at 9fps. Like Tiny Turtle said, "...if not that important in this specific matter..."

W4TAZ,

I use the 23.11 without any problems but a lot of people do have problems with them, especially the infamous infinite loop error. But you will get your wish. The GF4 will be out in stores by the first week of March and nVidia has been spitting out leaked drivers like crazy. So I am sure by the second week of March, we will have new drivers.

P.S. I have ran the aqurium and FSAA 4x and believe me, 9 fps is about right with a GF3.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 02:04 AM   #15
AlabamaTom
Alabamatom

Thumbs Down Definintly Not Offensive Feldon

Thanks to you and Jim, I have happily had all my questions answered and you have certainly made my life more enjoyable with your advice.
Keep up the good work!

Last edited by AlabamaTom; 02-10-2002 at 02:06 AM.
AlabamaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 09:55 AM   #16
Donna68
Registered

HEllbound,

I'm using Whql 4.13.01.2183 the one that was on the gf3 install disc...and my destop resolution is set at 1024-768..... and yes That illegal operation message hasn't returned yet..knock on wood.

Donna
Old 02-10-2002, 10:00 AM   #17
Donna68
Registered

oops my reply was to fishybusiness not hellbound...Sorry
Old 02-10-2002, 11:44 AM   #18
Dave Snotear
Registered

I also have a Visiontek GeForce 3.At 1280X1024 W/FSSA 4X I'm getting 19-21 FPS.I usually run at 1280x1024 NO FSAA and get about 205 FPS.
Dave Snotear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 01:27 PM   #19
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

That sounds about the highest anyone has reported with FSAA...

Is there a distinguishable difference (not counting the fps) with the FSAA turned on?

/Calle
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 03:38 PM   #20
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The Aquarium is not compatible with FSAA. You get major banding in the green background fade and the Aquarium runs very slowly as reported.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive