Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows
Notices

Old 11-15-2003, 06:27 PM   #1
Garrison
Registered

So do the goldfish swim all over the tank?

I tried the demo and one of the fish swam behind one of the plants up front one time. I didn't see them do much else except hang around near the front. In the full version do they swim behind the rocks and all around the tank? I really like the overall look of the tank. The moving plants are very nice. I already have the Marine Aquarium on one computer and want to put this one on our other computer. I wish the marine aquarium had some moving stuff in it. I keep thinking how nice it would be to have an anemone for the little clown fish to swim around in. The goldfish tank is really nice looking.
Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 05:33 PM   #2
Wizwad
Only me...

Garrison, sorry no one has answered your question. The Goldfish part of the forum is 'slumbering' at the moment. There is development going on behind the scenes, but until news comes out regarding Prolific's new shark screensaver it's likely to stay quiet. We've pretty much put our wishlist to the developers and covered all the angles as to what we like, what we don't like, what we would like to see changed or improved and how.

Meanwhile, to answer your question, the fish definitely swim around, over and behind the scenery. Some of us would like the fish to swim through the plants as well, pushing them aside as they go, but that's still too complicated given current technology and the programming of the aquaria. If this were a replay of set scenes then it might be different, but it's all happening as you see it.

With regard to stuff for the marine aquarium, join the club! As you'll see if you read the MA wishlist thread, many of us are really looking forward to 3D moving scenery and fish that interact more with their environment, and Jim Sachs, the main developer of MA, has intimated that this is in the works for future versions.

Still, that's for the future. Meanwhile we just kick back and enjoy what we have. And chat to one another in other parts of the forum! Please feel free to wander round and join in.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 08:02 PM   #3
Garrison
Registered

Thanks. I was hoping for a good answer like that. I like the demo but in the demo the fish only seems to swim in the front of the tank. One thing I like about the Marine aquarium is that they go every where although I wish they would do a little more than swim back and forth. I have had real aquariums for years now and that is not how fish behave but it's still the nicest looking aquarium of that type I have seen and the fish look great. I would have, by this time, expected a little more in the background dept. Some 3D rocks or something would be really nice. Considering what I'm seeing in the latest 3D games I know it is definitely possible and can even look very realistic. I'm looking forward to the day when these type of screen savers look and act like the real thing but I'm happy with what we have now. I'm looking forward to getting the full version of the Goldfish tank. Speaking of fish we just picked up two Angel fish for our tropical tank tonight. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:24 AM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Apparently the behavior of the goldfish swimming mostly at the front and sides of the tank is a reflection of how these fish swim in real life.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 04:36 AM   #5
Garrison
Registered

True, but they do swim around all over eventually. I've seen fish screen savers where the background was nothing more than window dressing and the fish never go anywhere. I just wanted to make sure that here it was actually part of the tank and that the fish would eventually go check things out.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:22 AM   #6
Wizwad
Only me...

I know what you mean, Garrison. When I got the demo I wasn't too impressed with it and really had to take a leap of faith when I got the full version. Let me tell you, though, I'm soooo glad I did. I'm totally thrilled with the GA (apart from the small improvements needed in specularity, plants, etc... ) and I now love the GA far more than the MA, though that may well change when the updates for MA come through.

With regards to fish movement, they certainly swim all over in my tanks. Here's a screenshot with some fish making their way from one side of the tank to the other to see if anything's going on, some fish are checking out the plants, one fish is diving behind the rock and one fish is hiding somewhere already, just to be awkward. Maybe he was camera shy. So all pretty realistic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish.jpg (19.2 KB, 329 views)
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Old 11-26-2003, 07:38 AM   #7
Wizwad
Only me...

Ooops, too much compression. Here's another try with another screenshot as I didn't save the original. Doh!

No, for some reason I'm getting the same problem Marian got the other day - any file worth looking at is coming in over the 131kB limit. Maybe I'm having a bad day.

Sorry Garrison, it's not a good pic, but at least it shows that the fish DO swim around.

Mark
-----------
Old 11-26-2003, 07:52 AM   #8
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Sorry Wiz, we had to set a limit somewhere. We currently have over 60MB worth of just attachments. Whew, and that's just attachments, not counting everything else.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:26 AM   #9
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Mark,
What program are you using for the image editing?

/Tiny kB
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:31 AM   #10
cjmaddy
Registered

Gladys, - (sorry, Mark! )
Repeat after me ........
I must practice using 'Save for web' more, - I must practi ......................................

cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:46 AM   #11
Wizwad
Only me...

Jav - no problem. Usually that's fine, but I recently upgraded to Paintshop Pro 8.0 and it's annoying me! Grrr... I'm sure I could get a decent shot at a decent file size if I spent an age on it. Maybe later.

Tiny - Paintshop Pro 8.0.

Our Cliff - Does Paintshop Pro 8.0 come with a 'save for web' option? If so, I haven't found it yet. So there! :-P~~~~~
Mark
-----------
Old 11-26-2003, 12:08 PM   #12
cjmaddy
Registered

Mark,
I know I've raved about this many times before, - I make no apologies, - because it's excellent!
Easy Thumbnails, - a freeby from www.fookes.com ..... it can reduce to ANY size, not just thumbnails!

Photoshop Elements OR Paint Shop Pro, (or similar!) - is vital for image processing/editing etc, .... agreed!

But I still use Easy Thumbnails a lot. - Once you've got used to it, which is very easy! - it will only take a few seconds to reduce an image to ANY size, and retain good quality! ...... Please give it a try, and say what you think!
Old 11-26-2003, 12:29 PM   #13
cjmaddy
Registered

I've just taken this screen shot, - used Photoshop Elements 'Save for web' (762kb), then Easy Thumbnails (120kb) !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goldfishtest2_web_640.jpg (119.7 KB, 296 views)
Old 11-26-2003, 04:22 PM   #14
Garrison
Registered

Really nice. Thanks for the screen shots from both of you. I like that orange and black fish. Really cool looking.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:16 PM   #15
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Thanks Cliff, I'm going to try that program also.
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 01:55 AM   #16
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

nC,
How on earth did you manage to get PSE to end up with a 640x480 jpeg weighing in at 762 kB?! If I really try, I can reach 340 kB, but that's as large as I can get it.

Working the other way (I don't think there's much difference between PS and PSE in this aspect) I ended up with the image below which is slightly worse-looking, but sub-70kB.

Stick with PSE is my suggestion.

/Tiny Adobe Hut
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goldfishtest2_web_640-tiny.jpg (69.5 KB, 263 views)
Old 11-27-2003, 11:22 AM   #17
cjmaddy
Registered

How on earth did you manage to get PSE to end up with a 640x480 jpeg weighing in at 762 kB?!
Sorry Tiny! - My statement may have been a bit misleading. The screenshot (1024x768 bmp = 2,305kB) was reduced in PSE to a 'Save for web' (1024x768 jpg = 762Kb). - Then I used Easy Thumbnails to produce the (640x480 jpg = 120kB)

I don't know why I bothered going through the PSE stage, - force of habit I guess! - All I wanted to do on this occasion was show the capabilities of Easy Thumbnails, and produce the best quality pic within Morgan's limitations. Hence the 120kB. ... I could have made it much smaller! - but lower quality!

Why do I bother using Easy Thumbnails, when I could do it all in PSE ..... I hear you ask! ..... Because it's so easy!
Stick with PSE is my suggestion.
I will use this recent addition to one of the pages on the Husteads web site as an example. There are 5 small images in that section of that page, and each one can be enlarged by clicking the button in the corner of the pic. (on the website!)

I chose 5 of the shots I had taken that day, and worked on them in PSE to make an image good enough for a quality A5 print, - (for if I decided to print any). - Then using Easy Thumbnails, the 5 small 'thumbnails', AND the 5 enlargements were quickly and simultaneously produced for the web page, from the print quality copies, with the very minimum of effort.
The file sizes too were kept to a minimum, as all 10 image files required uploading to the host, - and there are currently well over 500 on the website!

I don't know of any method within PSE whereby you can produce a 'batch' of thumbnails (and their accompanying enlargements) with the speed and convenience that I get when using Easy Thumbnails! ... If there is, please tell!

I always do all preliminary work in PSE first, - only when I have a finished product do I use ET, - for website use!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clive1_750c.jpg (125.9 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by cjmaddy; 11-28-2003 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:40 AM   #18
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Cliff,
I've just installed Easy Thumbnails, yes it is a great tool. I will definately use it when I work on websites. Just one option would be nice, which I use sometimes: color saturation.
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 12:12 PM   #19
Wizwad
Only me...

Cliff,
I've just downloaded it and installed it. I'll have a bit of a play with it tonight and over the weekend and we'll see if I manage to mess this one up!

Many thanks for the suggestion and the link.
Mark
-----------
Old 11-28-2003, 01:20 AM   #20
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Ok, have to think about that one for a while.

Lovely horse, btw – How about 101 little foles for that one?

/Tiny Thinking
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows