Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows
Notices

Old 07-02-2003, 08:32 PM   #1
feldon34
Forum Administrator

** Goldfish Aquarium version 3950 (July 2nd)!!!**

"Prolific Publishing, Inc. the creator of Goldfish Aquarium, is happy to announce 2 new fish, 'Moby' the largest fish made to date, with an almost regal appearance, and 'Freida' the first comet-type goldfish."

[New Features]
  • Bubbles: Random bubbles columns appear in different parts of the tank depending on which tank theme is selected. Bubbles can be disabled in Settings or further tweaked by pressing [ Shift ] + [ B ]

• Background Color improvement: The full range of the background color has been restored, with black, dark blue, light blue, and a bright blue-aqua all being available by holding down the <- and -> keys.

• Model Caching: Switching fish/themes is now almost instantaneous due to new model cacheing.

• New goldfish 'Moby'

• New goldfish 'Freida'

• Preset Tank Themes: There are now four preset tanks included in Goldfish Aquarium. Toggle between them by pressing [ for Previous or ] or P for Next:

1. The Tank - This was the default tank in prior versions of GA with all the plants and 3 fish available.

2. Simple Tank - The default tank in prior versions of GA with no plants and 5 fish available

3. Big Tank - This tank has no visible background or plants and the fish are quite far away. 5 fish are available.

4. The Pond - Done in the style of a Koi/Goldfish pond, you are now able to watch up to 9 fish from above.

• Tail Glitches - Glitches in the tail animation exhibited at low frame rates have been reduced.

Unfortunately this means that plants are no longer selectable/removable in the various tanks. The "floating" plants in 'The Tank' have not been resolved and the number of fish here has been limited to 3. Also, the Help screen still lists [, ], and P as keys for changing plants, when they are used for changing tanks now.

More features/bugs as we uncover them.

News of this version's release was first noticed by an observant forum member here:
https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...=&postid=30349
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 07-03-2003 at 08:09 AM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:07 PM   #2
Misha
Registered

Mine shows build 3950...

Also, the Aquarium view with plants has been limited to 3 fish - a step backward in my mind. Those of us with the hardware to do so should be able to use more fish. People with lower-end hardware can choose to run fewer fish.

You can no longer adjust the plant number.

The program no longer retains my settings for background and lighting, but rather reverts to defaults. Curiously, it retains my settings for bubbles, resolution, sound, etc...

The fish motion is better.

The new fish are very well done. I would throw in my vote for a red-cap oranda, a lionhead (maybe yellow with red cap), and a black moor at some point. Maybe a bubble-eye, too. People who actually like goldfiish (and not just screen savers of goldfish) are often partial to these "mutant fish" with lumpy heads. You might expand the market of the product if they were included. I'm sure that they would be well within the capacities of the engine and programmers.

I hope a new beta comes out soon which fixes the aforementioned bugs, and increases the fish limit to 7 or 8 in the tank view with plants.

-Mike
Misha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:08 AM   #3
Socrates
Sage

When using the from above view there is no background in there, just blue computer color. IS that right?
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:31 AM   #4
sunny
Registered

yeah , that's right.
that is the bad thing , blue background
i suggest that in future view from the above should have a few tulips plant on it and the water spreading effect when the fishes swims to top to get air or when fishes wiggles its tail. that's what we call "the pond" with respect to the name given.can you imagine that wouldn't it be nice?
it's so dull now.....the fishes like swimming in a blank space!!

.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>°

°o°°Oo°oO°
><(((°>° °<°)))><
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 02:52 AM   #5
memilm
Registered

The Pond and the Big Tank are all fine things and the suggestions from sunny will make theme surely nicer.
In the Big Tank will be nice to see more fishes.
Are there plans in future version to display only one fish but very big?...
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:48 AM   #6
sunny
Registered

Originally posted by memilm

Are there plans in future version to display only one fish but very big?...
in my opinion , i don't think so.....or maybe i'm wrong
it's just like you have a over grown goldfish pet..or mutated..hehe
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 06:41 AM   #7
memilm
Registered

I ment not bigger that the real size of the fish in a monitor-size tank.
A mature goldfish can be 10-15 cm big... on a 19" screen(tank) it will look marvelous.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:27 AM   #8
Marsh Marigold
Still Folding

The bubbles are great - but now that I see them, I feel the visual does not match the audible. It SOUNDS like one of the airstones I used to have, a big rushing column of bubbles. I like the way they look, though.

I don't really care for that green at the lower part of the background. I liked the all-blue of the last build much better!

Marsh Marigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 07:44 AM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Fell asleep before I could put the complete specs for the new version. Working on it now.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 07-03-2003, 07:51 AM   #10
loub516
Registered

I would also like the ability to have more than three fish in the planted tank and be able to pick the number of plants as before.

The pond and big tank need some plants and water ripples as suggested above. Now it looks like the weatherman in front of a blue screen waiting for someone to turn on the background.
The view from above of the fish looks great!

LB
loub516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 08:07 AM   #11
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'm really surprised by the improvements. I also agree with the suggestions being stated here.

Some 2D water ripples overlaid on the Pond, the return of plant control to 'The Tank', fixing that darn floating plant, etc.

Maybe a concrete floor for 'The Pond'.

I have not yet tested trying to save the Lighting settings per tank.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:11 AM   #12
Liath
Still here in spirit

Thank you, thank you, thank you. No more tail jerking! Don’t know what you guys did, but I can now use the screensaver! Freida is fantastic. It’s nice to have a little diversity. I like the fact that she is small. I just have one problem. The foreground and background lighting doesn’t seem to work properly. The automatic setting doesn’t work in regular mode, only in the other modes. Also, I can no longer change the background or foreground lighting manually. The sliders move, but nothing happens. It just goes back to the brightest setting. As for the look of the tank. I agree with Marsh Marigold that the bubble sound is much too strong for the number of bubbles. Otherwise, the tank is beautiful. Cheers guys! I’m thrilled!
Liath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 09:11 AM   #13
raven
Perculiar Clownfish

Yup Freida does look great,

would it be possible to have a small school of "Freida's" ( since she is so much smaller ) It would be nice to have some more small fish - counting as one fish - especially since the total number of fish has been reduced.

Am also quite pleased with the bubbles but I really miss the plant-settings, I really loved those and they seemed to be working fine so I wondered why they had to go.

I don't care much for the new tank views: I understand this is just the start but I really didn't need another view, think the original tank looks just fine ( just my opinion of course )

Anyway, thanks for the nice update and keep up the good work
raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 10:03 AM   #14
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Goldfish school?
Old 07-03-2003, 05:08 PM   #15
raven
Perculiar Clownfish

Originally posted by feldon27
Goldfish school?
Flock, herd, crowd, bunch, whatever...
Just think Freida is so small and lonely and three fishies is not enough
raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 05:16 PM   #16
AKcrab
Registered

Can anyone provide some screenshots for us poor neglected Mac users? I'm interested in the new camera angles.
AKcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 05:52 PM   #17
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Here is a quicky from the top
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen copy.jpg (12.4 KB, 5300 views)
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 05:43 AM   #18
memilm
Registered

With 3 Frida fish in a tank the GA looks like a freshwater tank.
When you are lucky you can look at the tank for 1-2 minutes and no fish is there, only plants and bubbles...
Is there a way to implement an option so that fishes will not be able to leave the screen?
Old 07-04-2003, 03:55 PM   #19
IXNAY
Green Frog

WOW, what an update. The work you've done is great, a lot of improvements but there is still place to make it better
I really like the new views, the pondview is a cool thing. But why have you put the plantcycling out?
The new bubbles are amazing, I hope you add some cool bubbleusingitems for the tank soon. Remember my post about the items!?
https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...ighlight=items
The new Backgroundcolor is really cool too, but setting it to dark at automatic lights turned off dosent work at my PC.
Ahhh not to forget the new fish the gold one is so sweeeeeet
I'm looking forward to a new version, keep up the great work guys *thumbsup*
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 05:30 PM   #20
Marian Nichols
~Author~

You know I can't believe it is July 4, and I am just now learning about the new version that came out on the second. But I have it now and like the rest of you I think the improvements are just marlveous, my favorite view is the top. So I would like to see floating lilly pads, with frogs as well, and cat-tails, and dragonflys!
Asking too much? Ok leave off the dragon-flys.
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows