Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 01-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #161
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
If I can think of an elegant way to make the Moray default to ON even if it's not in the saved fishlist, I'll implement it.

That's if I'm even able to program after today. My hard drive just started giving me messages that it's failing. This one is fairly new, a replacement for the catastophic hard drive failure I had a year or so ago. I don't think I can go through this again, and when it fails, I may just take it as a sign that I should get out of computers completely.  
So despite past history, you still won't adopt any kind of backup system. A $500 Windows Home Server system from HP with minimal configuration would make nightly incremental backups of your computer without any intervention or babysitting. A one-time $500 cost for peace of mind.

I have no words.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #162
Jim Sachs
Developer

Backing up my files has never been the problem, it's losing the use of all my programs. Last time I tried every type of recovery software out there, but none were able to convince Windows, visual C, or anything else that they were still running on a licensed hard drive.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #163
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Backing up my files has never been the problem, it's losing the use of all my programs. Last time I tried every type of recovery software out there, but none were able to convince Windows, visual C, or anything else that they were still running on a licensed hard drive.  
This makes a fine argument for the use of pirated software.

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #164
hillover
Registered

It's not backing up your files. It's backing up your whole system.

With the system still functional, you can clone your hard drive, and keep on swimming.
hillover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #165
Jim Sachs
Developer

I'll look into the cloning business, but I don't hold much hope that it will fool these draconian copy-protection schemes.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #166
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Yes, I was testing in unregistered mode. MA33gBeta fixes the gaffe.
I think Jim is just looking for an excuse to stop working on MA3 since we've overwhelmed him with requests.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #167
Jim Sachs
Developer

Actually, I have enjoyed working on the program lately. I'm surprised that I was able to get back into it and remember all the hundreds of steps required for a successful 'cook'.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #168
hillover
Registered

I'll look into the cloning business, but I don't hold much hope that it will fool these draconian copy-protection schemes.  
Perhaps not. However, my grandson's PC just had a problem with its hard drive, I cloned it, and the new drive booted correctly and ran all of his software. Of course, that has to be done before the old hard drive completely dies.

Of course, if something won't run after doing that, and assuming you have the original installation media/files, it's usually straightforward to re-install (perhaps with a call to the vendor at some point).

But I see that this forum has been there before. Sorry.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #169
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by hillover:
Of course, if something won't run after doing that, and assuming you have the original installation media/files, it's usually straightforward to re-install (perhaps with a call to the vendor at some point).  
It is not always that easy.. Most vendors will be keen to sell you a new copy but refuse to assist with an old version. Autodesk is a prime example.. they no longer support older versions (like only 5 years old).. and those older versions will not install on the new operating systems. And.. to get an old operating system to run on a new operating system requires tech support that is not up to the task.. it is a mess.

The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #170
Jim Sachs
Developer

Exactly. That's always been my problem (along with more than my share of hard drive failures). My software is all more than a decade old, and unsupported by the manufacturers any more. I used up all my allowable re-installation tries before the turn of the century. Morgan was able to help me out once with one program which is thousands of dollars to replace.

(Downloading Acronis disk-cloning program now.)
Jim Sachs
Old 01-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #171
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

I believe Cliff is a big proponent of Acronis. I do have to wonder though why the disc imaging backup feature in Windows Vista/7 would not be up to the task? I've never actually had to restore from it but have used it to make backups.
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #172
hillover
Registered

Originally posted by Ralph:
It is not always that easy.. Most vendors will be keen to sell you a new copy but refuse to assist with an old version. Autodesk is a prime example.. they no longer support older versions (like only 5 years old).. and those older versions will not install on the new operating systems. And.. to get an old operating system to run on a new operating system requires tech support that is not up to the task.. it is a mess.  
...but that ("old version") isn't a problem if you clone the entire disk, because you will still be using the old OS and software the same way you were.

The same is true if you use a system backup solution that can restore the bootable system image to a new hard drive. I happen to use Microsoft Home Server for that purpose, but there are a fair number of other good ones out there.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #173
Jim Sachs
Developer

It worked! A new 2TeraByte Western Digital hard drive was only $99 at Best Buy. I popped it in, ran the Acronis software, and 3 hours later had a perfect clone of my C: drive. All my programs work, so I'm back in business. (The only one which even noticed the HD change was Final Draft, which said it was installed but not activated. But then it let me activate it.)

So as long as I still have the hood open on MA3, were there any other easy jobs that I promised, then forgot about?

Edit: Oops, I did find one program that won't work - Quickbooks.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #174
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Was the starfish climbing the glass ever a promise.. or easy?

Old 01-14-2014, 11:35 PM   #175
Jim Sachs
Developer

Hmmm, I'll have to give that one some serious thought.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-14-2014, 11:45 PM   #176
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

Some people wanted you to put your signature into the gravel.
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:31 AM   #177
cjmaddy
Registered

Yes, Acronis has come to the rescue on many occasions over the years. Pleased to hear that it has also worked for you.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:37 AM   #178
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I vote for starfish climbing on the glass too.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:40 AM   #179
jleslie
Engineer

Deleted - forget this, might be finger trouble.
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #180
harris
Registered

Jim,

I didn't want to overwhelm with requests , but since you are asking.

A long time ago we (the forum) were discussing the ability to locate the starfish in a few different areas within the tank. As an example, if a user prefers a stationary view from the center to right side of the tank the starfish is never seen. Ideally, three positions would be best - as it is, center(ish), and right(ish) side locations. This would be especially useful for users with standard (not widesceen) monitors.

I am pretty sure this would involve an extreme amount of programing and testing because of collision avoidance, new settings in the options menu, etc., but you did ask.

I'm now going back into a mode. (hint, post#166).
harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows