Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium
Notices

Old 08-20-2002, 11:05 AM   #21
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

Curiosity:

Tiny, did you know what Tonto meant when you posted that?

CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 11:47 AM   #22
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Well, to me it as just a name in an expression I heard somewhere. Kinda like "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto" (Hey, look! Almost the same name ). – Have I offended someone with it?

/Tiny Tornado
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 01:33 PM   #23
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Toto and Tonto are a bit different.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 02:47 PM   #24
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Um, yes. I said almost didn't I? I meant an expression with a name. – Not that specific expression...

/Tiny Similarity
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 08-20-2002, 04:54 PM   #25
Jim Sachs
Developer

A while ago someone mentioned that that found my attitude about the Aquarium contradictory. Not so at all. You will never find a person who is easier to understand than me. I simply want to have the most possible enjoyment while having the greatest positive effect on the world.

I realized at an early age that making movies was the best way I could accomplish this. When I turned 50 a few years ago, I realized I was running out of time, and the CompuTrainer project was not likely to bring in the kind of money necessary to do a film. So I decided to create a series of hyper-realistic desktop virtual-life programs, which anyone with the price of the average dinner-out could afford.

Yes, the Aquarium must raise money to allow me to make a film. An artist's artwork must finance the next project or he's dead.

I cannot follow the leap of logic necessary to believe that this would in any way imply that I would do anything for money. There are a great many things I would NOT do for money, and sacrificing my integrity or reputation is among them. I thought long and hard to come up with a way of earning a living which would bring joy to many and harm to none.

I found that the best way to keep the quality up in the Aquarium (or anything else I've ever worked on) is to keep tight control of the project. This usually means doing everything myself, but not necessarily. At this moment, Prolific's programmers are creating code for the program which will improve the user interface and various other enhancements.

Yes, I might sell a few more copies if I allowed the user to create their own objects. But this would not improve the Aquarium, it would ultimately hurt it and damage my credibility. Anyone with the skill to make a creature matching the qualitly of the rest of the tank would certainly have the ability to create their own program. It is obvious that within hours of the time I made the fish format public, people would create ridiculous/obscene creatures, distribute them on the Internet, and my Aquarium would become associated with such things. I will do everything I can to prevent that.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 05:03 PM   #26
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Yes, I might sell a few more copies if I allowed the user to create their own objects. But this would not improve the Aquarium, it would ultimately hurt it and damage my credibility. Anyone with the skill to make a creature matching the qualitly of the rest of the tank would certainly have the ability to create their own program.
Sorry, I do not want to re-invent the wheel. Any attempt I made at trying to create an entirely new Aquarium would be a disaster. I would give up after a few weeks of trying to recreate the programming you have done. The motion would be a joke.

My interest lies in contributing to the only game in town.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell

Last edited by feldon34; 08-20-2002 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:45 AM   #27
IXNAY
Green Frog

OK I understand...
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 11:16 AM   #28
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

Originally posted by Jim Sachs

Yes, I might sell a few more copies if I allowed the user to create their own objects. But this would not improve the Aquarium, it would ultimately hurt it and damage my credibility....It is obvious that within hours of the time I made the fish format public, people would create ridiculous/obscene creatures, distribute them on the Internet, and my Aquarium would become associated with such things. I will do everything I can to prevent that.
I appreciate your taking the time to respond, which was something I did not expect. And I admire the things you're doing, and your reasons for doing them.

I still have trouble with your statement that giving the user more creative freedom "would not improve the Aquarium." It seems to ignore the "Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder" element to this kind of program, and presuppose one person's opinion (admittedly the creator's, which does give it a certain weight) as the absolute objective standard for what is the most attractive or pleasing. It is likely that for some people, an Aquarium customized beyond what you've provided for could give them "the most possible enjoyment."

In addition, I think the idea that "the Aquarium" would not be improved is misleading because it would no longer be a "the Aquarium". It would in effect make a limitless number of Aquariums, as many as anyone wanted to create. Many of these would certainly be in yours and many others' views pretty trashy. But I think there would also be a great many high-quality innovations, from intelligent people with respect for the Aquarium and making it better. Some of these you yourself might even feel are improvements on what you've done.

But I understand if you feel that the good that would come of that is outweighed by the huge potential bad that would come with it, as Morgan mentioned. I realize that it's easy for me to sit here and make such comments, when I didn't put in the massive amount of time and effort to get the Aquarium where it is. If I had, maybe I would feel the same way you do about "protecting" what I had worked so hard on.

So I guess I'll just shut up and be patient and accepting like everyone else (not that I have much choice)

Thanks again Jim, for your work and for your willingness to explain yourself on this forum.

p.s. The name of the Lone Ranger's sidekick, Tonto, means "stupid" in Spanish.
CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 12:32 PM   #29
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Sorry, Ceph. That Spanish reference was *way* above my head and thus purely coincidental...

Tiny Insulter

Old 08-21-2002, 06:10 PM   #30
Jim Sachs
Developer

Glad to see this thread has lightened up a bit.

There may be artists who feel that their artwork might be improved by letting others mess with it, but I've never met one. As for me, in the 4th grade, I was asked to participate in making a class mural. I said that I'd be happy to do the whole mural, but otherwise I'm not interested. My attitude has not changed. (Yes, I was scolded then, too.)

I also did not know that Tonto means stupid in Spanish. I wonder if the creators of the Lone Ranger did, and considered it an inside joke.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 07:17 PM   #31
BlueWinterWaves
Registered

Of course, Tonto wasn't Spanish, though. In Potawatami, it supposedly means "wild guy." Which also doesn't make much sense considering Tonto's usual demeanor. Oh well.

It's kind of like the story of the Chevy Nova. Didn't sell too well in Spanish-speaking countries, because "No va" means "doesn't go."

Something interesting about "kemo sabe."
http://www.old-time.com/misc/kemo.html

I think I like the "trusty scout" meaning better than "soggy shrub."
BlueWinterWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 01:04 AM   #32
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It's kind of like the story of the Chevy Nova. Didn't sell too well in Spanish-speaking countries, because "No va" means "doesn't go."
http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.htm
Old 08-22-2002, 01:07 AM   #33
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Blue, I guess you like Mitsubishi's 4WD model "Pajero", then...

/TT

Old 08-22-2002, 12:13 PM   #34
BlueWinterWaves
Registered

OK, OK, Morgan....sheesh. I was just trying to make a point -- and unfortunately forgot that that particular Nova example was an urban legend.

So. For the anal-retentive: Here are some that actually ARE true:
http://www.i18nguy.com/translations.html
Old 08-22-2002, 04:28 PM   #35
hpman77
Blue Angel

Blue, most of those facts (at least the ones about things in spanish) are wrong. Most of the english translations are really weird and never happened.

Don't believe everything you see on a website

(although the Pajero thing is real)
.:: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ :: 512MB SDRAM :: Windows XP SP1 :: shappire ATI radeon 9600 PRO :: Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 :: Directx 9.0 :: (Always latest drivers for everything) ::.
hpman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:23 PM   #36
BlueWinterWaves
Registered

The ones I posted are mostly correct.

Regardless, it is exceedingly trivial information anyway, and I was just using it as a light-hearted example of the perils of translation, whether it be Tonto or Nova or whatever. But some people just can't let anything slide.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:14 PM   #37
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Let's relax and hang out at www.engrish.com
Old 08-22-2002, 09:03 PM   #38
BlueWinterWaves
Registered

There, that's better.
Old 08-23-2002, 04:21 AM   #39
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Yup, Nothing's better than engrish.com

/Tiny Translation Skills

Old 08-23-2002, 09:58 PM   #40
vrzone1
Registered

I don't think I have seen Jim post what kind of movie he is wanting to make. If he did, I missed it. Do you know?

Nancy

www.vrzone1.com
vrzone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium