Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 08-22-2003, 05:17 AM   #221
Wizwad
Only me...

In that case you just need to add frog and cicada samples for the total serene experience.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 09:32 AM   #222
cjmaddy
Registered

cicada [si_kä'da] or [_kâ'da]
noun a homopterous insect of warm regions, having a broad body and large transparent wings, the male of which makes a loud chirping sound.
....... Ya learn something here every day don't-cha! ...... Mark
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 09:40 AM   #223
feldon34
Forum Administrator

"loud-ass brown grasshopper"
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 10:29 AM   #224
cjmaddy
Registered

Who ya callin' a "loud-ass brown grasshopper" !!!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 10:45 AM   #225
Jim Sachs
Developer

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley, where we didn't have cicadas. But every summer we would visit my step-dad's family in Kansas City, where there was a 110-decibel buzz coming from every tree. I could hardly hear myself think, yet everyone there was so used to it that they had "tuned it out". They couldn't hear it at all, and had no idea what I was talking about. It took me several days to isolate the cause of the racket, since the sound echoes severely, and the little buggers stop when you get close. The locals call them locusts, but they were actually cicadas.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 03:23 AM   #226
Wizwad
Only me...

LOL Cliff

And there's more - there are two types, one of which has a 13 year breeding cycle and the other has a 17 year cycle. Experts are still trying to put together a definitive explanation for these particular cycle lengths.

All I know is that somehow it's very comforting to fall asleep with the sound of cicada's chirping in the night air. Might be a nice addition to the terrarium if we ever get that far.

Jim, my memories come from when I was a kid living in Zambia, so are probably coloured by time, but as an oddity a couple turned up in Basildon (England) when I was catsitting there for a friend last October and with just two it sounded just right, very nostalgic and made me feel quietly happy.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Old 08-23-2003, 08:02 AM   #227
Jim Sachs
Developer

We must be talking about two different critters, because these didn't chirp, they buzzed. There were no changes in pitch. There were no breaks in the buzzing until you approached their tree. I don't remember ever hearing them after dark. The closest sound I can describe would be a radio-controlled model airplane cranked up about an octave, and the volume doubled.
http://www.insects.org/entophiles/ho.../homo_002.html
http://www.kwic.com/~pagodavista/sch...cts/cicada.htm
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim Sachs

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 08-23-2003 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:22 AM   #228
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

You might be thinking of a katydid. Those make different sounds. See if this is what you are thinking of Katydid
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:25 AM   #229
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

I agree with Jim . We have them now in our yard . We have 15 trees in our yard and it is a pain . They make all kinds of noise . But they are not active at night . If they were you would never be able to sleep . Right now as I am typing this I hear them out side the window . The window is closed and the central air is on . Darn bugs
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:27 AM   #230
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

That's what I though he was talking about Jav400 . See I am old .
Old 08-23-2003, 08:32 AM   #231
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Have you ever found their exoskelton?
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:38 AM   #232
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Yes , I did . They're cool .
Old 08-23-2003, 09:05 AM   #233
Jim Sachs
Developer

This sound is fairly close to what I remember. It's only a couple of seconds, while the real sound went on all day.
http://www.avisoft.de/sounds/cicada.wav
Jim Sachs
Old 08-23-2003, 09:28 AM   #234
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

That's what it is then . I have them making there noise now and ever since I got up . And it will go all...........day.............long
Old 08-23-2003, 03:36 PM   #235
Wizwad
Only me...

I've just done a search for cicada sound samples on the net. I didn't know how varied a noise they made. The ones I heard were more like japanese crickets, just slightly louder. I thought it must be a cidada, from my childhood memories, but I went and tracked one down just to check. With a torch as it was about 10pm and dark. Was definitely a cicada, but it definitely wasn't a buzz noise. More a chirrr - chirrr ....... chirrr - chirrr.
Mark
-----------
Old 08-23-2003, 10:23 PM   #236
Rich
this is me,and only me.

speaking of cicadas we get them here in summer too..
many years ago I captured on video, one actually breaking out of it larvae state and into a fully fledged adult.. if I can find the footage, I will see about posting it on my website for u to look at...

hows the freshwater aquarium at night going jim? have u sorted out the bugs yet?
nice little fish to add to the aquarium would be a bumble bee goby, damn they are the cutest little things, shame my large goldfish things its food lol,but he does pay back during the nite, little agressive as far as taking chunks out of the goldfishs tail ..
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 07:35 AM   #237
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
. . . BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How's that for onomatopoetic talent?
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:58 AM   #238
Jim Sachs
Developer

Tiny, for someone who's first language is not English, you never cease to amaze me.
Jim Sachs
Old 08-25-2003, 03:39 PM   #239
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Hehe,
We say "onomatopoetisk" over here so it was no gagantuan leap...

/Tiny
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 02:59 AM   #240
GreenHsiF
SereneScreenFanatic

How many fish will be available to chose from for the freshwater aquarium when it is finished?
GreenHsiF is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive