Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 01-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #361
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

I'm here. Not as often as I want to be. But that's because I go to see my son everyday.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:55 AM   #362
Sergiales
Software Engineer

Ed, you are infinitely more active than me here, just compare the difference of posts between you and me
Nice you can see your son everyday.
Happy new year!
Sincerely,
Sergio.

Last edited by Sergiales; 01-06-2007 at 07:02 AM.
Sergiales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #363
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

May your son is feel better every day.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:52 AM   #364
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Thank You
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:05 AM   #365
Yodelking
yodeler

1 Highscore

Jim, any news update for us? I thought it been ages since you last told us how it's going, but checking back this thread I realised it wasn't that long ago I read it..

What ever happened to the "chat with Jim"? I have a faint memory that we talked about this recently but I haven't seen it since (or I just missed the chat...)
Yodelking - För god att kolsyra!
Yodelking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:29 AM   #366
feldon34
Forum Administrator

We haven't had a chat in eons. I hope to do one by the end of the month.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #367
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

You were just waiting for a request?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #368
feldon34
Forum Administrator

A topic worthy of chat.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 01-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #369
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:45 AM   #370
Highlander
Registered

any news for the new version

hi ,

is there any news for the new version ?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups !
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:53 AM   #371
Jim Sachs
Developer

Working on a moving coral on the far right of the screen, but hit a snag with the lack of decent Lightwave-DirectX plugins. I need thios to save Lightwave animations, but the only one out there is DStorm, which is a Japanese product with no English translation.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #372
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Guess you could try Linguaphone...

Old 01-28-2007, 01:42 AM   #373
Highlander
Registered

Smile

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Working on a moving coral on the far right of the screen, but hit a snag with the lack of decent Lightwave-DirectX plugins. I need thios to save Lightwave animations, but the only one out there is DStorm, which is a Japanese product with no English translation.  

hire a little japanese
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups !
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:38 AM   #374
feldon34
Forum Administrator

What did you use to save the fish animations in Aquarium 99L+?

I know it's two frames of animation which I am guessing you exported as 2 separate objects and pasted the vertices into the first file. I'm quite familiar with the fish format in your product. Boredom.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:10 PM   #375
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, there's no animation saved at all. It's simply two meshes - one straight and one bent left. The bent right mesh is created from the left mesh as the program loads. But in the 3.0 version everything moves, so I need a way of saving complex animations in DirectX format. This has been a problem for several years, and I was hoping that someone had written a useful plugin by now, but they haven't.

Lightwave Modeler has a morph utility that allows you to distort an object through any number of steps, and this gets saved with the object. It would be great if the DirectX plugin saved this data as a DX object with the animation included. The DX SDK has a great example of a DX animation -- a mesh of a girl with a walk-cycle included. So all the pieces are there, they just need a programmer familiar with both file formats to merge them into a plugin.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-01-2007, 12:12 AM   #376
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'm sure that everyone who wants to save out of Lightwave into DirectX format writes their own utilities, since no 2 people want the same things in their DirectX file.

I really think this is something that Prolific should be helping you with. I can't believe Prolific hasn't done the math and made introductions and opened up lines of communication between you and Newtek. With stiff competition from 3D Studio Max (Autodesk), Maya, and SoftImage, Lightwave is getting squeezed out as the "hobbyist" 3D modeler and would probably bend over backwards for you as far as writing a utility like you are asking for, in exchange for a little marketing and publicity. The right people simply haven't been contacted.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:07 AM   #377
Jim Sachs
Developer

This has actually been discussed quite a bit in the various Lightwave forums. The consensus seems to be that Newtek is only interested in animation for movies and video, not game development.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-01-2007, 02:55 AM   #378
memilm
Registered

what about the freeware program blender?
I have read that you can import lightwave files and also export to directx...
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:30 AM   #379
djmac
Registered

After a few months not being here in the forums I have this question:
Has the release-date of 3.0 something to do with Microsoft DreamScene? (I thought about MCE 2005 Goldfish Aquarium)

@Lightwave-Probblem:
That's why I love 3DS Max (which has other issues of course :-))
djmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:52 AM   #380
feldon34
Forum Administrator

DreamScene is a new feature designed for Windows Vista Ultimate users that enables them to display high-definition video content as their desktop background.
Jim does NOT support running the Aquarium as a background. He is appalled at the idea of having a bunch of icons on top of the Aquarium.

And Jim is developing the Aquarium to run at LEAST on DirectX 8, 9, and 10, on Windows 2000, XP, and Vista, and possibly Windows 98. He certainly doesn't want to marry himself to only Windows Vista Ultimate with a 512MB video card which is what DreamScene seems to require. Once again Microsoft "develops" something with ridiculous hardware and software requirements that 3rd party apps and Macintosh OS have been doing for 5 years on much leaner systems.

P.S. Goldfish Aquarium is a different artist.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive