Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 06-19-2002, 12:37 PM   #1
drfish
the Doc

Highest quality cheap widescreen SSA on a HDTV?

ATI finally relased the promised DVI/VGA -> Component adapter for the Radeon 8500. Check here
for more information. AnandTech has a short write up here . Sounds to me like the cheapest way to get a super high quality widescreen aquarium on you HDTV... Now if only I had one of those...

AnandTech said it's hard to find programs that run at widscreen resolution, but the Aquarium sounds like the perfect fit to me, I'd love to see it running at 1080i or 720p on a 63" screen!

The only problem I see is that the 8500 doesn't seen to like running the the widescreen version of the aquarium... When fish swim off the right side of the screen some of their colors stripe across the entire length of the screen. (I keep forgetting to post screen shots of the problem in the bugs thread... I'll do that tonight when i get home, someone remind me. )
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 01:04 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Ideally, you want an HDTV. But at $3k a pop for one with VGA inputs... Ouch!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 01:08 PM   #3
drfish
the Doc

That's what makes this so cool, only $30!
Old 06-19-2002, 03:17 PM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Now you just need a $5,000 HDTV with DVI.

Mitsubishi will have some of the first.

I'm not exactly rooting for DVI. The whole reason why HDTV is moving to DVI is to prevent us from recording shows, fast-forwarding through commercials, and sharing HDVD-Rs with friends.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 06-19-2002, 03:34 PM   #5
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

If I'm not mistaking myself, Doc's point is that you don't need a DVI input. This thing converts the DVI signal to regular Component Video. Couldn't this mean HDTVs in a lower price range?

/Tiny Guessing
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 06:48 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Ok, I'm in politicize mode.

It would help if I actually read the posting instead of just reacting.

Yes, component video is the universal HDTV connection. Even the $1,800 Mitsubishis have a darn good picture and come with 2 component video sets of connectors.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:19 AM   #7
SunKing
Registered

HDTV aquarium

One downside to the new ATI adapters is that they suffer from 'overscan'. You can buy a VGA to component adapter that will work on any video card (costs around $100) - combine that with Powerstrip and you're in business. That's what I did - I've posted this before - but here's a really crappy picture of my HDTV acquarium. And yes - the widescreen version works perfect on the 16:9 ratio TV.

FYI - the picture above is a screen capture from a video tape. It does not do justice to the actual display on the TV (which is cristal clear).
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 10:22 AM   #8
drfish
the Doc

Thanks Tiny, yeah, that was my point.

SunKing, I bet ATI fixes this in one of the next driver revisions, they're usually good about quality video out even if their drivers aren't the greatest otherwise. I'm hoping this will change though, they seem to be committed to it.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:27 PM   #9
Ricordia
Reef Keeper

Re: HDTV aquarium

Originally posted by SunKing
You can buy a VGA to component adapter that will work on any video card (costs around $100)
    Can you provide more info on the VGA to Component adapter you're using?  I've looked around for one, but haven't found any useful information about them.  For example, do they come with monitor drivers that allow video cards to display 16:9 resolutions, or do you need to buy a video card that comes with 16:9 resolution out of the box?

Ricordia
Ricordia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 06:23 PM   #10
SunKing
Registered

HDTV PC

Check out these links:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_4.htm

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Sup...ffnotes_17.htm

There's also a good furum here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=33207

I've seen converters on Ebay for less than $100....if you've got an HDTV set - you might as well enjoy it to it's full potential. Believe me, Jim's screen saver looks beautiful at 51 inches. And winamp visulazaions take on a new meaning.
Old 07-04-2002, 01:47 PM   #11
Ricordia
Reef Keeper

SunKing,
I've been trying to hit the first two links for days now with no luck. Are you sure the URLs are correct?
The third link is a great article, but it's old (October 2000). Do you have any newerm, more relevant links? Also, what brand of converter do you have? The one from Audio Authority looks good, but it's pricey for something that will be used as little as this will be. I'd love to have the SSA running on my 65" widescreen tv, but I don't want to spend $100 on just the converter. Are there any other options, or is this the bottom line for converters?

Thanks!

Ricordia
Old 07-05-2002, 07:31 AM   #12
SunKing
Registered

It looks like the 'Digital Connection' site is gone - so yeah - those first two links won't work any more.

The info in the 3rd link is probably the best - even though it's a little old - the information is still correct.

I'm using an RCA - VGA to component converter. I got it brand new for $100. ....and yeah, that's probably the cheapest you'll find a new one. However, I've had a couple people tell me they've seen some on E-bay for around $50.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:35 AM   #13
Ricordia
Reef Keeper

Looks like the Digital Connection site is back! Thanks for the link SunKing, I'll be looking through this site closely.

Ricordia
Old 07-10-2002, 09:50 AM   #14
Ricordia
Reef Keeper

Looks like the Digital Connection site is back! Thanks for the link SunKing, I'll be looking through this site closely.

Ricordia
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive