Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-18-2002, 06:56 PM   #201
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

...I think that is not too hard for you to stop SS put the new setting in the registry and start SS again.
You are right. Now that I found out how to pass keystrokes to the aquarium this might actually work, provided that I can get the timing right. Especially applying the starfish could be a bottleneck here because it still requires an external windows program (regedit). And we would not want long pauses between unloading and reloading. Also there would have to be a routine that checks if the aquarium is still running... Hmm, it might be a little harder than we thought but I'll give it a try.
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 07:33 PM   #202
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Cycling the fish every few minutes would be very nice. I'd just pass "space space" to the Aquarium and stay minimized in the system tray.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 11:49 PM   #203
memilm
Registered

For first look doesn't matter how long are the pauses between the unload and reload the SS. You can think that otherway, all the things manually to do is there more time to lose("ESC" to stop the SS, then pick another setting-file, than "Apply"-Buton and then "launch SS"-button)...
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 10:49 AM   #204
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

I'd just pass "space space" to the Aquarium and stay minimized in the system tray
I am not sure that would work. The aquarium beta that I am using currently seems to keep its own buffers and ignores registry changes, on exit it saves the buffers to the registry. I'd have to go back to latest official release to check if it does the same.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:57 PM   #205
memilm
Registered

I ment realy stop it, like a kill program/process does it, like hitting "ESC" or ALT+F4, and then start it again, with the new registry entries you wrote betweeen stop and start SS...
Old 09-19-2002, 02:28 PM   #206
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I am talking about just rotating the RANDOM fish.

What you're talking about would be very disruptive because the Aquarium would kick out to the desktop and back. This also means on most monitors, the relay in the monitor would be switching 4-8 times every time this happens. That would be 4-8 switches every 5 minutes or 384 switches in an 8 hour day.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 09-19-2002, 03:40 PM   #207
Vish
Registered

Originally posted by Mountainmaster
cjmaddy,

I have a beta version ready for download that is fully compatible with the aquarium widescreen. It wasn't as easy as I thought, so please test it critically for strange or inconsistent behaviour.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker_b.zip

Widescreen options are enabled only if the Aquarium_wide.scr file is present in the system directory.
I would first like to congratulate mountainmaster for his wonderful creation.
I do have one suggestion/comment. This picture shows an exit button but the latest version I downloaded does not have that.

Did I download wrong zip file? OR was it removed from the GUI intentionally....
Thanks
--Vish
Vish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 03:51 PM   #208
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

I am talking about just rotating the RANDOM fish
Not quite as sophisticated as memilm suggested. On the other hand if I can't make his suggestion work smoothly this is an good alternative, which I know will make a few people here very happy.
on most monitors, the relay in the monitor would be switching 4-8 times every time this happens
I could restrict it to run only with the aquarium set to desktop resolution.

Vish,
Yes, the exit button was removed intentionally. See discussion in this thread one or two pages back.

btw the beta link above was taken down some time ago. This is the correct link: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker.zip

Last edited by Mountainmaster; 09-19-2002 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-20-2002, 06:33 AM   #209
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

MM, your doing a great job. I think Morgan's "space space" to the aquarium idea sounds the easiest. Give it a try and let us know what happens. I love this picker so much. I wish when I hit the space bar, your picker comes up. Can you do that?
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 05:53 PM   #210
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Patrick,
I got it the "spaces" working, but there are still some conditions that I can't control yet.
When the screensaver password is on, Fish Picker is putting the spaces in the password box! And that also applies to the "windowed mode" option that is already implemented. But I found out how to check the password on/off setting and there will be a warning in the final version when it is on.
Then there is a problem with the aquarium running minimized (yes, I know that doesn't make sense, but sometimes it gets kicked out by other programs). I made a subroutine that checks if the aquarium is running, but it behaves erratic with the aquarium in minimized state, sometimes passing just one "space" and leaving the settings panel sitting there.
And something else I just thought of, does anyone know what is displayed in the aquarium's titlebar on systems with non-western characters? My subroutine will not detect it when there is anything else than "SereneScreen Aquarium" in there.
I wish when I hit the space bar, your picker comes up. Can you do that?
No, I think that would require remapping the Windows hotkeys and I don't know how to do that.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:43 PM   #211
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

I see we have a sticky thread now. And I have updated Fish Picker. The "cycle random fish" option is working now under the conditions mentioned before. But I am still in the dark about systems with non-western characters. If it doesn't work there please let me know.
I might add more flexibility to it later, like choosing the time interval (now fixed to one minute). And btw this does not mean that memilm's suggestion was rejected, I'll try to make "cycle custom settings" work for the next release.

version 3.0.7: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker.zip
Old 09-23-2002, 02:21 AM   #212
memilm
Registered

Angry

For first the picker work good with random fishes.
I find that a black screen between one configuration to another will look nice, like light off and than ligts on, on a real aquarium, and surprise you have new fishes...
Is there a way to implement this and hide the setting panel from SS?
Somebody has asked in another forum-thread about setting the lights in SS like the real time ones(nights dark and days brighter). Is there a way to do that?(When you change between presetted files, you could check the time and change the lights settings)?
Old 09-23-2002, 05:50 AM   #213
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I probably should've looked up the original thread about this, but I'm in a bit of a hurry right now:

Why would anyone want to have the aquarium running dark at night? It doesn't look like a real aquarium does with it's lights turned off and also a monitor/TV running in a dark room would look weird as it emits light (even a black TV screen emits light). Having the SSA running in dark mode at night seems like a waste of energy to me – who's watching? (– And anyone watching would appreciate a lit version more).

Please help me understand why this would be a good idea.

/Tiny Lighting
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 05:57 AM   #214
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Perhaps not completely dark, just dimmed a little.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 06:37 AM   #215
memilm
Registered

Angry

This was posted from glenramsey in SereneScreen Aquarium WISHLIST at 05-15-2002:

"Time-of-day aware lighting (WISH LIST)
Notwithstanding the fact that I am unquestionably amazed: Are there any plans, or is it possible, to have different light settings depending on particular times of the day?

We plan to install a computer and monitor in our bedroom as a permanent feature. As beautiful as the fish are we would love it if the lights could dim according to a particular setting at "bed time" so we can dream about the fish instead of see them all night, hey, we need our sleep!! :-)"

By the way, this is the first time I saw this forum-thread at the top of all (I know I'm living in Europe)...
Old 09-23-2002, 09:54 AM   #216
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

My point was that if Glen's aquarium-showing monitor was turned on in an otherwise dark bedroom it would still light the room up a bit and he would see the fish – not dream of them.

I believe the feature he is looking for (possibly unknowingly, right now) is to at a given time have the aquarium fade to black and then put the monitor in stand-by to keep both mr. & mrs. Ramsey from having a faintly glowing rectangle on the wall all night.

The given compliment would of course be to power up the monitor, just in time for Corn Flakes...

Not really sure on what level this feature should be implemented. Leave the fade in/out feature out and Windows Scheduler could probably take care of it (given that the monitor has a proper stand-by mode of course.) If it has to fade out and in things would have to work a little bit more together, but this is just speculations from someone who's knowledge of programming doesn't go much beyond macros in Photoshop...

Tiny Stand-by
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 10:18 AM   #217
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Standby mode on monitors won't work properly on many systems until a DirectX 7 or 8 version of the Aquarium comes out.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:41 AM   #218
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

New version 3.0.9 is up. Added possibility to choose from different cycle times for the "Cycle Random Fish" option, which now also appears in the tray icon menu. Fixes for minor bugs happening under rare conditions.
I find that a black screen between one configuration to another will look nice, like light off and then lights on, on a real aquarium, and surprise you have new fishes... Is there a way to implement this and hide the setting panel from SS?
memilm,
Isn't that what it looks like already when you (or fish picker) hit the spacebar twice? If you let the latest version of Fish Picker cycle the randoms that way, the settings panel will only be in sight for a very brief period. On a fast pc you probably won't even see it.

Latest Fish Picker: http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker.zip
Old 09-27-2002, 04:13 PM   #219
cjmaddy
Registered

On running some 'Cycle Random Fish' tests on this latest 3.0.9 Fish picker, I have come across the following ...

'Off' does not work in any position in wide 1.1.6
'Normal' (Full screen) 'Settings' can be used to put the fish back, - for positions 1 to 7 only!
If 'Off' is used for the 8th position, only Fish Picker can put the fish back!

I don't think this is a Fish Picker fault, and I have sent an email to Reichart at Prolific.com

I just thought it was worth mentioning here. Have any other 1.1.6wide users found this?

I also changed back to 3.0.2 - just to check, - still no 'Off' in wide. I don't think Fish Picker is at fault here, but it is affected by this. In fact using Fish Picker seems to be the only way to put back the 8th fish!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 05:57 PM   #220
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

cjmaddy,
Sounds to me like you still have the 1.1.6.0727 beta that Morgan asked us to test by email. If you check out the beta forum you'll find that there is a new beta 1.1.6.0806 which fixes the "off" problem. On my system beta 1.1.6.0727 crashed back to the desktop when any slot was set to off.
btw, I think any further discussion of this subtopic should be done in the beta forum.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive