Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-06-2002, 03:16 AM   #1
xdawgg
Registered

an XP issue

I just upgraded to xp from ME..........I updated my drivers because my framerate went down...and its still down....what can I do to fix this??
xdawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 04:37 AM   #2
hpman77
Blue Angel

make sure you have FSAA and VSYNC off. It happened to me, and it was just that.

Also, if you notice a slow down while surfing the net, turn off the built-in firewall of XP. it just sucks
.:: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ :: 512MB SDRAM :: Windows XP SP1 :: shappire ATI radeon 9600 PRO :: Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 :: Directx 9.0 :: (Always latest drivers for everything) ::.
hpman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 05:34 AM   #3
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Video cards use different drivers for ME and XP. Sometimes the XP driver set is better than the ME one and sometimes it's the other way around. My fps went down a bit when upgrading 98SE to XP.

My brother's old Riva ZX (I think it was) ran most 3D stuff quite poorly under Win98SE and perfect under Win2000. Then he upgraded to XP and found out that the card wasn't supported. the Win2000 drivers worked semi-fine in 2D but there was no 3D support at all.

Other people I know of have reported that their RivaZXs worked great with 98/ME and were buggy with 2k, so who knows? It seems like a big lottery to me.

Keep trying older drivers too if you can find them (uninstall one set completely before installing the other). What card are you using and could you post your framerates@resolution here? Perhaps someone else here has the same card and could share their fps@res as a comparrison.

/Tiny
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 11:25 AM   #4
xdawgg
Registered

well I have a 8mb nvidia vanta.....works good in ME...kinda sucks in xp...I also noticed when I play diablo, something looks weird and it runs a lil choppy...........any other advise??
Old 04-06-2002, 03:38 PM   #5
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Are you using the 16.30 (XP) or the 21.83 (XP) drivers? Or perhaps there's a different version I missed?
Old 04-06-2002, 04:33 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

For such an old card, I'd highly recommend 6.47 driver as listed on my website. The Vanta came right before the Riva TnT.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 04:45 AM   #7
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

nVidia ranking

Guess this is academic now as Xdawgg has bought himself a GeForce4 MX420 (and started a new thread to announce it instead of continuing here ), but since these questions tend to arise now and then I've decided to continue posting:

The Vanta was actually released after the original TNT as a budget alternative (simultaneously with the TNT2). There are two drivers that are WHQL certified to use with XP for the Vanta and Vanta LT and those are 16.30 and 21.83. For the Riva TNT there's no XP drivers available, and you'd be left to use the Win2k drivers, which might just work fine – or it might result in the same as my brothers RivaZX with no working 3D...
Old 04-07-2002, 04:58 AM   #8
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I took some time to compile a list of nVidia video cards and sorted it by performance (sort of). No extra features as TwinView/nView or different shaders support are taken into consideration. Please post comments if you believe a card is ranked incorrectly in order to make this list as correct as possible.

NV1, NV2, all Quadro cards and GeForce2 MX 100 as well as the "2 Go" mobile sets are omitted from the ranking for now. Also the GeForce2 MX DDR that Creative made is not listed as it isn't ANY faster than a regular GeForce2 MX.

NOTE
A list like this one can never be 100% correct as two cards may change place when used at different resolutions and also there are different memory configurations, but I'm hoping it's good enough anyhow.

Here goes:

Riva 128
Riva 128ZX
Vanta LT
Vanta ()
TNT
TNT2 M64
TNT2
TNT2 Pro
TNT2 Ultra
GeForce256 SDRAM
GeForce2 MX 200
GeForce256 DDR
GeForce2 MX
GeForce2 MX 400
GeForce4 MX 420
GeForce2 GTS
GeForce2 Pro
GeForce2 Ti
GeForce2 Ultra
GeForce4 MX 440
GeForce4 MX 460
GeForce3 Ti 200
GeForce3
GeForce3 Ti 500
GeForce4 Ti 4200 (not released yet – only annnounced)
GeForce4 Ti 4400
GeForce4 Ti 4600
Old 04-07-2002, 02:16 PM   #9
xdawgg
Registered

Well guess what people...I uninstalled my windows XP cause it kept on popping up error issues and this and that. I was getting a good 50 FPS on the saver....now that I took off XP I'm getting 85FPS......which is great IMO.
Old 04-07-2002, 02:46 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I think XP is to 2000 as ME was to 98.

A decent OS layered with junk on top. XP is giving the 2000/NT5 kernel and OS a bad name.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 04-07-2002, 03:21 PM   #11
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Ten bucks on that Morgan has some service pack installed together with his 2k. There are service packs for 2k, right? – It wasn't perfect right out of the box...

/Calle

P.S.
I do agree on that ME is sucky, though.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 04-07-2002, 07:34 PM   #12
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I have SP2 yep.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive