Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Sharks: Terrors of the Deep
Notices

Old 06-15-2004, 08:20 PM   #1
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Slight glitch found

Edgar,

This is a very slight glitch and probably doesn't affect many people. I have been sitting watching sharks in 3d using my shutter glasses, and have found a slight problem for viewing in stereo 3d. I'm not sure if this is how you would explain it, but here it goes.

Set up:
The best analogy I can come up with is that the front limit of the tank is slightly off. I am assuming that programing sets a front limit and a back limit for the depth to be used. I have seen 3d images work in several different ways. The test stereo image that comes with the nvidia stereo drivers looks like it is coming out of the front of the screen and floating in air. Since I have IR glasses as well as wired glasses I can stand all the way across the room and look if I wish. The farther away I stand, the farther it looks like the image is coming out of the screen. Jim's aquarium on the other hand looks like it goes deeper into the screen and doesn't have fish floating in the air at all, so I assume he set a limit to keep this from happening.

Problem:
In watching sharks, when one swims directly towards the front of the screen and grows larger and larger at the very end when it is at its largest it looks like it is sticking ever so slightly out of the front of the screen for a few seconds and then it "snaps" back and turns in a different direction and either reverses course or swims to one side or the other and leaves the screen momentarily. That "snap" is very noticable, like someone jerked it back by its tail. So I am guessing that the front limit is slightly off from what should be allowed. I'm not sure how important this is in the "grand scheme" of things, if you are considering stereo 3d as part of the product options or just a "bonus" so to speak. But if you are considering it, it needs looking into.

Addition:
As far as stereo 3d goes, if you are considering it in your product line, I would like a check box to allow sharks to swim out from the screen a short amount. Not enough to make it look totally unreal or stupid, but just enough to get a true outwards 3d effect. To keep problems like this from happening, I would suggest that any fish past the "front line" of the screen if the box is checked be forced to reverse course and swim back behind the "front line" before turning off the screen. It might be a draw that brings attention to your screen saver over others, because I can't think of any that market "true stereo 3d" along with their product.

Just a thought.

FYI:
For whats its worth, sharks looks pretty good in 3D.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:08 AM   #2
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

Stereo 3D is just a bonus for now. We really did not think what it would look like in Stereo 3D.

By the way, there is Sharks MD available if you want to run it in letterbox mode or multi monitor. Note that there is no extra art made yet just for widescreen so the view will be the smaller area of the background.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:16 AM   #3
drfish
the Doc

I haven't been following sharks too much, so the fact that there's a MD version it a total surprise to me! Where can you get it?

Is the widescreen GA coming anytime soon?
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:17 AM   #4
cjmaddy
Registered

Ctrl-W has always been there, - hasn't it?
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:30 AM   #5
drfish
the Doc

In which one? I actually haven't bought Sharks yet... If it can do widescreen I probably would though because the living room could use a water change... Though I'd rather have widescreen goldfish...
Old 06-16-2004, 11:45 AM   #6
cjmaddy
Registered

Sorry, - hadn't realised you had mentioned GA also! ..... Sharks has [Ctrl]=[W] for wide mode, but as Edgar has pointed out, it's widescreen view is only a smaller area of the background.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:48 AM   #7
drfish
the Doc

So Sharks MD really only adds multi-monitor then?
Old 06-16-2004, 03:09 PM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

MD = Multi-Display
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 05:38 PM   #9
drfish
the Doc

Right, but MA2/MD merged the widescreen and added the MD... Since I didn't know sharks had widescreen from the beginning I wanted to make sure...
Old 06-16-2004, 06:28 PM   #10
cjmaddy
Registered

Here you go, .......... Sharks [Ctrl]+[W]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sharkswide2_700.jpg (46.3 KB, 364 views)
Old 06-17-2004, 01:01 AM   #11
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Um, so what does "Open Water" look like in wide mode?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 05:42 AM   #12
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Saints preserve us.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:56 AM   #13
cjmaddy
Registered

Don't worry Michael, - I've resisted the temptation!

I have an appointment with England now! - must dash!
Old 07-06-2004, 05:19 PM   #14
Wizwad
Only me...

Sniffle. Ctrl + W doesn't seem to work with my copy. I downloaded it from the Lifeglobe site a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed to find that nothing seemed to have changed since the beta except that Ctrl + W was missing! As my laptop is now widescreen (res 1440 x 900) that's very sad!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 03:27 AM   #15
Edgar

1 Highscore

Try downloading the MD version of Sharks:Terros of the Deep here. Scroll to the bottom.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 07-07-2004, 01:42 PM   #16
Wizwad
Only me...

Wahay! Sorted! Thanks Edgar.

Is there any news on any updates to come? Anything we can look forward to "soon"?
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 05:10 PM   #17
Edgar

1 Highscore

We are planning to be improving version 1.0 soon. We are used the list of features accumulated from this forum and prioritized it. When depends on other projects that we are working on.

As usual it is hard to estimate these things.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 07-08-2004, 12:08 AM   #18
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Um, so what does "Open Water" look like in wide mode?
Quite the belated response by me and Tiny was almost certainly joking, but for anyone that hasn't seen Sharks in wide screen format, see a picture I posted a while back here -> Sharks in Wide Screen Mode
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Sharks: Terrors of the Deep