Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-05-2003, 09:58 AM   #21
Steven J Lowe
Blue Angel

Hi Thanks for the reply 8 to 10% cpu usage sounds great. How much will this update cost? At the moment i dont run it as a screensaver because it raises the temperature by about 9c on my pc so i dont really want to leave it running under pressure.
Steven J Lowe
Steven J Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 11:32 AM   #22
feldon34
Forum Administrator

If you purchased the Aquarium between versions .996 and .99L, then the upgrade is free. I am not sure if there will be a small charge for purchasers of the boxed (1.0) or Lionfish (1.1) versions.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:39 PM   #23
Steven J Lowe
Blue Angel

I purchased the screensaver last week and it was on cd rom version 1.1
Steven J Lowe
Steven J Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 03:13 PM   #24
Jim Sachs
Developer

Prolific hasn't decided on a policy for this yet.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 08:57 AM   #25
surfer
Registered

Cool

Even though I've been using computers since 87' I'm not 'HIP' on all the latest inovations. Can you (Feldon or Jim) briefly explain what is Jim's "CGI Film" project. My dictionary defines CGI as:

"Acronym for Common Gateway Interface. The specification that defines communications between information servers (such as HTTP servers) and resources on the server's host computer, such as databases and other programs. For example, when a user submits a form through a Web browser, the HTTP server executes a program (often called a CGI script) and passes the user's input information to that program via CGI. The program then returns information to the server via CGI. Use of CGI can make a Web page much more dynamic and add interactivity for the user."

Microsoft Press® Computer and Internet Dictionary, 4th Edition © & (P) 2000 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Humm...are you actually talking about "Computer Generated Animation"?

Thanks.
surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 09:26 AM   #26
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

GRH,

What Morgan was refering to is that Jim's goal with the process here is not specificially to create the most awesome screensaver around, ( although he is doing this in the process ) it is that he ultimately wants to utilize the revenue from these screen savers to create a CGI film that you would see at your local movie theatre. His plan is to create the best computer generated movie that anyone has ever seen. As far as details go, Jim won't release his movie idea for obvious reasons.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 09:52 AM   #27
Jim Sachs
Developer

GRH - Yes, it's a CG film. Not sure where they got the "I" when referring to it. That wasn't from me.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-06-2003, 10:48 AM   #28
surfer
Registered

Thanks

That's what I thought it was - the "I" was a bit confusing. I would think it would be called CGA or CGF. Oh-well, it must of made sense to somebody when they came up with CGI
Old 03-06-2003, 11:27 AM   #29
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Think Final Fantasy, Shrek, etc. but of course, Jim will blow those away.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-06-2003, 12:06 PM   #30
Jim Sachs
Developer

No, think Lord of the Rings -- only on a Grand Scale

Seriously, what if ALL the characters (not just Gollum) in Lord of the Rings had been computer-generated, and nobody knew it. That's what I'll be shooting for.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-06-2003, 12:43 PM   #31
feldon34
Forum Administrator

All of the characters in Lord of the Rings *were* computer generated in several scenes and I had no clue until I saw the making-of on the DVD. And I watched the 2 movies on a very nice screen.

I'm usually the first to notice an effect.

I immediately noticed that the grey sky was being painted in in the opening scenes of Twister.

I immediately noticed that Jodie Foster's teeth were being pasted in (and probably some other changes to her face, go figure) near the end of Contact when she is landing on the beach.

I immediately noticed Elijah Wood "sliding around" on the film plate when he was walking towards the ring at the council of Elrond.

Gollum blew me away. If I were George Lucas, I would be hanging my head in shame, getting my butt kicked by a guy whose first film was "Bad Taste".
Old 03-06-2003, 01:09 PM   #32
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I believe the "I" in "CGI" originally stood for image. – Not the best when used in a movie perspective, but anyways.

While we're on the LOTR topic: The scene where the fellowship is running through the great hall (just before they get to the bridge of Khazad Dûm (sp?)) the CG characters looked like utter crap. I could've done better with the animation tool in DeluxePaint IV on my A500...

/Tiny Amiga
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 01:11 PM   #33
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Computer Generated Imagery
Old 03-06-2003, 02:23 PM   #34
surfer
Registered

Exclamation

CGI=Computer Generated Imagery. OK, that sounds good -thanks, Feldon.

It looks as though I need to get out more! I havent seen ANY of the movies everyone is talking about , only the commercials for them.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:27 PM   #35
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

GRH,

We have some threads about several of these in the Coffee House. You can look there for more information, but know in advance that there are spoilers included with them.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive