Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 12-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #21
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

I use spy bot and Ad-Aware and Stopzilla. And I have been using them for a few years now. I did have AVG but when I switched to comcast many years ago I started using McAfee since it's free with them. It found more stuff then AVG. But for me Stopzilla found more then the other ones. But it is a pay program. But it did fix a lot of stuff when I had all kinds of problems in the past.

Just my
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #22
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Not trying to make this an antivirus-program-thread, but NOD32 is substantially lighter on the system than any version of Kaspersky I've tried (though I haven't tried any the latest year).

Anyway, Cliff,
If you remove the DA beta and install the last official version – does the bug persist?

The privacy object are normally just "last used files" lists from various programs.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #23
Jim Sachs
Developer

I just uploaded Beta 7h. I was hoping to include a fix for the stretched fish chart, but that may take a few more days. The only thing new in this version is Edgar's fix for the updating of non-primary screens. Maybe it will have some effect on Cliff's problem.

http://www.fish-byte.com/MA3Beta.zip

Regarding Cliff's problem, the only other thing I can think of is that possibly we are loading a dll or some other DirectX component, and it is remaining in memory after we exit. Windows does this a lot on purpose a lot these days, to speed up loading. I can visualize a case where MA loads a certain DirectX component, and DA might need a different version of that same file. But when DA loads, Windows sees what it thinks is the proper DirectX component already in memory, and uses that one. Rebooting flushes the RAM, and DA loads the proper file for its purposes. Just brainstorming...
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #24
cjmaddy
Registered

Jim, you may be glad to hear this. - Or you may be infuriated because it is what you're always going on about, - ie, trying to duplicate a problem on one of your machines, that is really a fault on a customer's machine!

Bottom line is... Things are now working as they should!

I was running out of things to check, and of programs that would scan my system for potential nasties. - I had spent the best part of two days trying to clean out every nook and cranny. - So I decided to roll-back to an even earlier 'Image' I made on the 20th of last month, - 11 days before this problem started.

At that time DA was at v1.181, and MA3 at Beta7c. and everything worked as expected. - I then updated to the current DA 1.186, and MA3 Beta7h, and everything still works as it should. - So I will probably never know why MA3 killed DA, and why MA2.6 brought it back to life!

Calle, - just for the record, (though it doesn't really matter now), - The Official versions of DA do not have the one-scene-across-two-monitors option. They are two separate 'aquaria'. (Posh word that! ) - And it was one image across two screens that was affected, not a 'single-screen' presentation.

Though I may never get to the bottom of that DirectX Error Message, - I felt sure that my system must be involved in some way. Why else would it suddenly start going wrong on that particular day? - But I'm convinced also that there's some connection between DA's recent betas, and MA3Beta7's, both having backgrounds across two screens! ... And why did MA2.6 correct the problem?
And why did a roll-back to an image made a few days earlier not solve the problem that only started that day! - But an even earlier image did?
DirectX is tied up somewhere in all this, I'm sure of that!

Ah well.... Water under the bridge I suppose!

As regards Beta7h.... I see no difference with the monitor refresh, but that wasn't really a problem for me. - What was more disappointing was I was hoping it might solve the DirectX Error Message problem. - But that, thankfully, is now moot!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #25
Highlander
Registered

glad to hear it is solved
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups !
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #26
Jim Sachs
Developer

Cliff - thanks for following up and reporting on this.

Everyone - An hour after I sent 7h out, I had the breakthrough I'd been looking for regarding the DPI problem. The program is now able to sense the size of the FishPicker chart, and scale the picture accordingly. It just does a pixel-stretch, so the picture is a little rough, but at least the boxes line up with the proper fish now. Some day I'll re-write the whole interface using icons, but this will work until then. Can anyone think of any other additions I should put in before sending Beta7i? (Easy ones, please!)
Jim Sachs
Old 12-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #27
Yodelking
yodeler

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Can anyone think of any other additions I should put in before sending Beta7i? (Easy ones, please!)  
You mean the Mandarin Goby is out of the question?
Yodelking - För god att kolsyra!
Yodelking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #28
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Jim,

1. I don't know if this is easy or not, but can you make a checkbox for turning off the bubble column? I would like to see what difference it makes in the fps.

2. Can you make it remember the sleep mode that is set so you don't have to change it again every time the saver starts?
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #29
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yodelking - I'm ignoring you.

Bubble column - OK.

Sleep setting - This will be replaced by a "Limit Frame Rate" system, so it's not worth taking time with right now.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #30
cjmaddy
Registered

Yes! - can you please do No 2.?

Edit:
Old 12-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #31
Jim Sachs
Developer

Oh, all right...
Jim Sachs
Old 12-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #32
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Can anyone think of any other additions I should put in before sending Beta7i? (Easy ones, please!)  
How about adding a "nicer" icon than the generic one we have had to suffer through...... One of those little finishing touches
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #33
Jim Sachs
Developer

That's right. Gotta do an icon.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #34
pvernam
wobbegong

Originally posted by Ralph:
How about adding a "nicer" icon than the generic one we have had to suffer through...  
For XP: right-click on the (generic) icon, select Properties, click on "Change Icon...", browse to the MA2.6 (or earlier) binary, select its icon. Done.
pvernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #35
cjmaddy
Registered

Thanks for adding the, 'Remember sleep mode'. - It's nice to know the CPU is not running flat-out every time it starts.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #36
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by pvernam:
For XP: right-click on the (generic) icon, select Properties, click on "Change Icon...", browse to the MA2.6 (or earlier) binary, select its icon. Done.  
I know... but Jim needs to make a "nice" new one.. when he gets a free moment
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows