Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 12-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
vdirjohn
Registered

Cursor effected by Windowed mode

When I load the latest Beta (7j) and switch to Windowed mode, my cursor looks normal (arrow) as long as it stays outside of the window. As soon as I move the cursor to the window, it switches to the expected double arrow at the windows edge (so I can drag/drop the window size) but remains the double arrow when I move INTO the window. I would expect it to switch back to the regular cursor (single arrow). It does not switch back to the regular cursor until I leave the window. If I right click and bring up the "exit/resume/full screen <-> windowed" box, the regular cursor returns but if I click "resume", the cursor disappears entirely. This happens whether the window titlebar is displayed or not.

I am running Windows XP.
vdirjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Great. Cursor stuff. Where did I put that bottle of arsenic...?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Dale
Banned

I see this, too (WXP) - but it's a bit more strange. The behavior reported is correct -- but, if I move the cursor QUICKLY from outside to inside the windowed area (so quickly that it doesn't change to the double-arrow at the edge), then the cursor stays the same as it should be.

For some people, it may be necessary to reduce the frame rate, to be able to move the cursor past the window edge fast enough.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

I have the same symptoms as vdirjohn.. but would think this as the way it should be.. Except perhaps for the disappearing cursor after making a change from "any" menu, and even that is not an issue worth chasing...The cursor returns as soon as you exit the window.. and what else could you do anyway.... But... perhaps there are some users who would say.. my cursor has disappeared... must stop working.. must watch screen saver
On this subject.. on starting the SS (as a window) my cursor stays as an hourglass until I move it out of the SS window
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

Found and fixed it. Wasn't as hard as I thought. Now the cursor is always the normal pointer when in the window.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Bob
Registered

I saw this problem too. But by the time I got to the forum to report it this thread was already in progress.

I've been running 7k for a little over an hour now and have not seen any problem with the cursor during that time.

Once again, thanks Jim.

Bob
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I fixed that one.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
rps
Registered

Originally posted by Bob:
I saw this problem too. But by the time I got to the forum to report it this thread was already in progress.

I've been running 7k for a little over an hour now and have not seen any problem with the cursor during that time.

Once again, thanks Jim.

Bob  
Yeah, I had intended to report this as well, but someone else beat me to it. I can also confirm that it works fine under 7k.

~Ralph S.
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Your cursor fix.. fixed it.. Including a mini problem my system has had for many versions.. (which I kind of thought as normal behavior). When first started my cursor would stay as an hour glass until I moved it out of the window... now fixed.
But.. perhaps the "grab" hot spots could be a few pixels wider, possibly some shaky hands might have trouble staying on the line to grab and move.

And.. I like the extra options you added to the right mouse click
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:10 AM   #10
Jim Sachs
Developer

The grab hotspots are a Windows thing. You specify WS_THICKFRAME when creating the window, and the border becomes the resize hotspot.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows