Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 10-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
Kizayaen
Registered

Fish Sets bug

I've got two sets of fish defined - "Reef Community", and "Predatory". I checked the box for "Cycle Fish Sets", thinking it'd be pretty awesome to get one of several predefined tanks displayed randomly when it drops to screensaver.

No matter which set I have selected, when I go to preview the screen saver from Windows display properties, it shows the selection which was defined for "Reef Community". If I then close out of the screensaver and preview it a second time, there are no fish; if I then go into the Fish Settings dialog from the MA3 menu, neither "Reef Community" nor "Predatory" is highlighted. If I re-highlight either one of them, click "OK", and preview once more, it will again begin displaying the community fish - even if it was "Predatory" that I'd highlighted.

Strangely, while all this is going on, the thumbnail preview of the screensaver does correctly display the fish set I had selected.

Now, most of this might not be a bug, if my assumption as to "cycle fish sets" functionality was wrong - if it always starts at the bottom of the fish set list and just periodically swaps through them as the screensaver runs, then I can see why it might always bring up the same one initially to begin with. That said, I sat here and watched it for a few minutes (five or so; I wasn't patient enough to do it for much longer) and it didn't change, so I figured it was worth bringing up in case my initial guess was correct after all.

In retrospect it's kinda silly of me to expect the highlighted tank to be the one to come up every time when I chose to cycle fish sets on the assumption that it was a randomizer, but I suspect that having the same tank come up every single time in a good twelve or fifteen tries isn't quite randomized.

Either way, though, the "no fish at all" part is weird.
Kizayaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

OK, I'll look into it. You are right, the fish are not changed within a session. Each time the Aquarium starts, the next set on the list should be loaded. It is not random (yet).
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Kizayaen
Registered

For the record, since I'm bad at reading directions and didn't properly report my config in the initial post:

Video chipset: ATI Radeon x1300 Pro
Monitors: NEC Multisync 1740CX and NEC LCD1715, both 17" LCD
Screen resolution: 1280x1024@32bpp (x2)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+
Memory: 2gb DDR2 667
Kizayaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

It seems to be working normally here. To test it, I created 3 sets:
Set 1, all Copperband
Set 2, all Achilles Tangs
Set 3, all Powder Blue

That makes it easy to see which set is being used. As expected, each time I start and exit the program, it switches to the next set.
Jim Sachs
Old 10-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Jim,

It does cycle fine for me here, but I do get the empty tank as well. It appears every time after the 3 tanks I created have cycled, then goes right back to the next beginning tank with the next start.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

Ah - I see what you mean. It's a blank tank that's getting inserted when the list repeats. I'm on it.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows