Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #1361
johnblommers
The Architect

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
... I can't really picture Microsoft getting behind the Intel Mac project enough to help them with DirectX drivers.  
Which is why you don't use OpenGL in the first place?
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #1362
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Good thinking, Blommers. Jim learning a new API will surely speed up MA development...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #1363
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Priceless.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:39 PM   #1364
johnblommers
The Architect

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
Good thinking, Blommers. Jim learning a new API will surely speed up MA development...  
Our happy bantering back and forth on this board is not helping Jim's productivity much either, though hopefully it provides a measure of badly needed entertainment

During my formative years I was taught that open standards are preferable to closed proprietary ones. SNA vs TCP/IP. Firefox vs IE. Linux vs Windows. OpenGL vs DirectX. Once on a proprietary path the cost of a transition back to a standard path is high.

Had MA been written in OpenGL in the first place, it would be so much easier to port it to Linux and MacOS X and reach a broader audience. But Jim has already shared his history with Amiga and I respect his developer's sense.

Fortunately Jim O'Connor's technical prowess will overcome the 3D API obstacle. We'll have our Mac OS X version of MA3 one day, TT!
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #1365
schneb
Registered

Originally posted by johnblommers:
During my formative years I was taught that open standards are preferable to closed proprietary ones.  
Even in my twilight years. That is why I still only use MP3 for audio.
schneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #1366
Jim Sachs
Developer

There are lots of reasons I use Direct3D as opposed to OpenGL. If you look at the chart on this page: http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/d3d-vs-opengl.html, you'll see an awful lot of "No's" in the OpenGL column where thare are "Yesses" in the DX8 column. But the real answer is that I speak Direct3D and not OpenGL. If I was a writer who had written a best-seller in English, would it be logical for me to abandon the language and try to write the next one in French, if I don't currently speak that language?

Not that I'm really all that thrilled about Direct3D. It's like the old saying about Democracy -- it's the worst possible form of govenment, except for all the rest.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #1367
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Had the Aquarium been written in OpenGL, it would run fine on Mac and Linux, but it would not have run particularly well on PCs, at least in the first few years that the Aquarium was out. OpenGL support on Windows was poor at best.

I do support public standards and love Firefox. But it does not bother me that DirectX is developed by a corporation rather than an open source agency. It does Microsoft no good to keep the contents of DirectX a secret, as it is a public toolkit intended for developers.

It seems that website is rather out-of-date as most of the "No" items are now supported in OpenGL with extensions (which most video cards now support).
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #1368
Azdec
Registered

Smile So When is it ready?

When will we get the new marine aquarium? I had a heart attack in July 07 and I survived. I hope I live long enough to see the completion of Marine Aquarium 3.0. I think Marine Aquarium was the first software download that I attempted to purchase. I think Jim Sachs himself was the person helping me via email. The purchase was not processing correctly and he finally emailed me and said that I had been trying too hard for too long to give my money to purchase the original Marine Aquarium and he sent me a keycode.

I was able to successfully purchase newer version(s) when the time to update arrived. As with all those who wait...I am really looking forward to version 3.0.
Azdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #1369
Jim Sachs
Developer

It shouldn't be too much longer. The Alpha Testers are picking apart a preliminary version now, finding stuff that's very hard to fix. The only major tasks left before Beta release are the user interface, collision detection, and getting it to switch between windowed and fullscreen modes.

My current plan is to get the program into a usable form, but still using the old fish models, and without background animation. Then the registered users should be able to participate in the Beta-test process, using their MA2.6 Key Codes. That way, they could all give inputs and watch as I bring the background to life, one object at a time.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #1370
im_canadian
Registered

It shouldn't be too much longer. The Alpha Testers are picking apart a preliminary version now, finding stuff that's very hard to fix. The only major tasks left before Beta release are the user interface, collision detection, and getting it to switch between windowed and fullscreen modes.

My current plan is to get the program into a usable form, but still using the old fish models, and without background animation. Then the registered users should be able to participate in the Beta-test process, using their MA2.6 Key Codes. That way, they could all give inputs and watch as I bring the background to life, one object at a time.  
Do you mean not hard to fix? And so 2.6 owners will be able to participate in the Beta? That's awesome!
im_canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #1371
Jim Sachs
Developer

I mean EXTREMELY hard to fix. The most difficult type of bug, because it has to do with timing, which is different on every computer.

On MA3, the left and right-arrow keys are used to scroll the scene back and forth. It should scroll smoothly, but some machines get rather jerky. It depends completely on what other programs, TSAs, and viruses are stealing clock cycles away from the Aquarium. No matter what I try, half the testers say "There - it's smooth, don't change a thing!", while the other half say "It was smooth before, but now it's jerky. Change it back!". Since it's always smooth on my machines, I'm working in the blind.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #1372
debavocet
Welcome to the Quack House!

Angry

It seems that website is rather out-of-date as most of the "No" items are now supported in OpenGL with extensions (which most video cards now support).[/quote]

Does that mean there's hope for us Mac owners? Nothing will ever pry me away from my Mac to buy a PC. Can you find one or two Mac tech experts to work with OpenGL, and free Jim for the creative work?
Also, would a Mac version of MA 3 be workable with OS 10.2.8? My Mac is several years old and it's a little late to invest in Jaguar, Panther, Leopard, etc. But if not, that's OK, I'm willing to wait for my next computer.
By the way, my current MA 2.6 has worked great on my Mac.
debavocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #1373
johnblommers
The Architect

Originally posted by debavocet:
...Can you find one or two Mac tech experts to work with OpenGL, and free Jim for the creative work?  
Jim Sachs has Jim O'Connor do the conversion to Mac OS X and OpenGL so that is already covered. There is a cool free Mac utility called GLview that lets you test your video card performance and compliance with all the standards from OpenGL 1.1 to 2.1.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (81.7 KB, 48 views)
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #1374
Jim Sachs
Developer

As always, Jim O'Connor is poised to start the Mac conversion as soon as I'm "done" with the regular version.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #1375
debavocet
Welcome to the Quack House!

Originally posted by johnblommers:
There is a cool free Mac utility called GLview that lets you test your video card performance and compliance with all the standards from OpenGL 1.1 to 2.1.  
Thanks - I'll give it a try.
debavocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #1376
Pyros9
Registered

Question Fantastic!

Can't wait to do some beta testing again Jim! Sounds Fabulous!

Doug................(Pyros9)
www.faddis.net

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dogs think I am.
Pyros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #1377
F34R
Registered

ahhh beta testing.. music to my ears.
F34R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #1378
Bubbadude
Registered

Hello to the board, I haven't posted before but I've been with Jim since verision 99, seem like forever. I come by and read whats going on from time to time, I must say I'm really getting excited about MA3, and can't wait to see it. Love reading the board to keep up to date. Hope Jim has good luck solving the bugs. I'll try to post more often.
Bubbadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #1379
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Welcome back and join in anytime, glad to have you taking a more active part.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #1380
ManagerJosh
Registered

Originally posted by Bubbadude:
Hello to the board, I haven't posted before but I've been with Jim since verision 99, seem like forever. I come by and read whats going on from time to time, I must say I'm really getting excited about MA3, and can't wait to see it. Love reading the board to keep up to date. Hope Jim has good luck solving the bugs. I'll try to post more often.  
Wow. You must be one of the oldies like me who still rememeber Marine Aquarium 0.3.
ManagerJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive