Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium
Notices

Old 04-22-2002, 06:28 AM   #81
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
Tiny
arrrrr....icic....
Tell u what, in Chinese, soft shell and hard shell turtle has completely two different names, that's why I assume it has two different name in English...now I know why I can't find any English name for it.

But are u sure about it? since this kind of soft shell turtle isn't really the same as hard shell turtle, its nose is much longer and thinner then hard shell turtle.

and I hate to say this, Chinese ppl like to eat those soft shell turtle as rare food and good for helth(same meaning as some Chinese and Korean eat dog meat), but the just don't eat hard shell turtle. That's why I keep thinking they r actually two type of creatures with close species.

u r correct about their soft shells are susceptible to fungal attacks which demands very high water quality, coz I own a pair of them b4, and they all died becoz I didn't change water very often...
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 06:43 AM   #82
IXNAY
Green Frog

Yeah a creaturepack, cooooooool this Axolotl looks great James
Uhm and Jim I had Guppys with many other fishs in my aquarium...
I especially like this ones:
Platinum Mosaic:
AOC (Leopard):
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 07:18 AM   #83
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

James, eating turtles ain't that rare. The first web site I found about Snapping turtles (American) had recepies (sp?) and instructions on how to gut them...

In Swedish there's just one word for turtles and tortoises (which directly translated actually means "shield toad"! .
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.

Last edited by Tiny Turtle; 04-23-2002 at 12:56 AM.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 04:58 AM   #84
hpman77
Blue Angel

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
Guppies are not usually kept with other types of fish, but I've always liked them and am looking into it. Goldfish and Koi are cold-water fish, and would roast in this tropical tank.
I'm glad to hear about guppies in the tank, as they're very colorful (and small lol)
But I disagree with goldfishes in tropical aquarium. I have about 12 of them swimming happily in a tank at 24-25ºC and they love it! In fact, they're growing too fast for the tank, and soon some of them will need to be moved to another one...
.:: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ :: 512MB SDRAM :: Windows XP SP1 :: shappire ATI radeon 9600 PRO :: Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 :: Directx 9.0 :: (Always latest drivers for everything) ::.
hpman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 05:16 AM   #85
hpman77
Blue Angel

What about some Tritorus (latin name, I don't know the english one, and in spanish they're "Triton" (plural: tritones))

I had some Triturus alpestris and some Triturus vulgaris, and they're way cool! They usually move slowly, but when they see food, they move really fast to catch it. (if you have some, as anfibians (is that the right word in english?) they love to have a place to go outside the water from time to time, but they always keep their skin wet.
What do you think?

Triturus alpestris

Triturus cristatus

Triturus italicus

Triturus vulgaris

Triturus vulgaris meridionalis

Edited: and they can also regenerate lost members, BTW
.:: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ :: 512MB SDRAM :: Windows XP SP1 :: shappire ATI radeon 9600 PRO :: Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 :: Directx 9.0 :: (Always latest drivers for everything) ::.

Last edited by hpman77; 04-23-2002 at 05:19 AM.
hpman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 05:20 AM   #86
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

anfibians (is that the right word in english?)
Close enough, – "Amphibians"
Old 04-23-2002, 08:52 AM   #87
Jim Sachs
Developer

Water-breathing amphibians may show up in the creature-pack for the Freshwater Aquarium. Air-breathing ones will have to wait for the Terrarium. In the Aquariums, I want to avoid critters which have to keep going to the surface for air, since there is no surface.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 04-23-2002 at 05:31 PM.
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 12:19 PM   #88
IXNAY
Green Frog

Hey hpman77 these ones are coldwater ones. I have them in my pond too, it's great to look at them, see them swimming and hiding.
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 01:14 PM   #89
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Jim, couldn't the need to breathe be solved the same way reflections at the sides are eliminated (i.e. allow the salamander or whatever to go half an inch above the end of the screen)?

Just my 2¢...

/Tiny Suggestion
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:35 PM   #90
Jim Sachs
Developer

Because of perspective, the surface would have to be quite along way above the top of the screen in order not to show towards the rear of the tank It's much better just not to call attention to the fact that there's no top surface.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 12:32 AM   #91
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Oh yeah, my mistake.

/Tiny Mistake

Old 04-24-2002, 12:39 AM   #92
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Soft shelled turtles

James, I've looked a bit at your soft shells and can't really say what species they depict (although the pic with several black ones are a regular turtle species).

In case you want to search more on the web soft shells are known in Latin as "Trionychdae".

/Testudine minor
Old 04-24-2002, 02:09 AM   #93
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
Thx Tiny, well but really...in Chinese, hard shell and sof shell are totally two different critter with two different name, and I beleive there's a reason, although hard shell and sof shell looks similar, there r also many differences, soft shell has tapering norse, in fact its head is quite different then those hard shell turtle, and soft shell swims very fast while hard shell turtle swims slowly,and even their habit is different too, soft shell one is more aggressive, I said I own a pair b4, when I try to pick the up on my palm, they won't dodge into thier shell, but bite my fingers instead and that's really hurt, but hard shell turtle is mainly calm and non-aggressive, they'll only hide into shell if they get pick up.

In Chinese, soft shell turtle is very unique in restaurant, with very expensive price, and they often treated as Chinese-Medicine, sometimes the seahorse can also be found in those Chinese-Medicine Shop.
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 04:03 AM   #94
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

...but hard shell turtle is mainly calm and non-aggressive, they'll only hide into shell if they get pick up.
Hehe, you can come by and pick my snapping turtle up any time you feel like it... Currently at 2.2 kg (~4,8 lbs) and a couple of fingers would really make for a nice dinner...

/TT
Old 04-24-2002, 11:39 AM   #95
grape_jellyfish
Registered

I would like to have a freshwater stingray in the tank, didn't know they had them but here are some pictures...

Freshwater rays

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
grape_jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 07:33 AM   #96
Cuoras
Registered

The posted Turtles show Pelodiscus (formerly Trionyx) sinensis, aka Chinese Softshell Turtle and the hard shelled: Cuora flavomarginata aka Chinese Box turtle (a rather terrestrial turtle species). P.sinensis is the main Asian Food Turtle and the only species yet commonly bred in large numbers for this purpose, other species are still taken from the wild :-( This species spends most of its time digged in the sandfloor of rivers, only the head is normaly visible.
The best Turtle for a Freshwater Aquarium would acutally be Carettochelys insculpta (from Papua) aka. Pignosed Turtle, a very unique "soft shelled" turtle, which resemble the marine Turtles in nearly every aspect and lives 99% of its live in water.
Tiny Turtle, I agree with you, my 30Kg adult (50cm SCL) Chelydra serpentina Male would be happy with a couple of fingers too, the whole hand wouldn't harm aswell, just ate 2Kg of trout
Here is a pic of a Carettochelys:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg papua.jpg (78.9 KB, 1179 views)
Cuoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 07:40 AM   #97
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Neat, Cuoras. How old is your little friend?

That Carettochelys looks awesome. Is it carnivorous?
/Calle

P.S.
How large an enclosure do you need for housing him?

Old 04-29-2002, 06:24 PM   #98
Cuoras
Registered

Snapper:
12 Years
Housed in a 12x5m Pond all year round

Pignose (adult size will be app- 55-60cm):
3 Years
Housed in a 3x1m Aquarium in Winter, Summer: 4x3m Pond
This species is omnivorous, diet consists of 70% plantmatter
Cuoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 02:55 AM   #99
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Welcome to another german guy!
Maybe we will see some kind of turtle in one of the future aquariums / creature packages. Jim has made some "serious thougts" about a freshwater sea turtle in the past. May the hope be with you...
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 05:05 AM   #100
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

YT, actually that was a sea turtle, not a freshwater one. A baby Green looked like the most likely, but it was all very loose. Guess we shouldn't pressure Jim more about it though. God knows he has taken on a lot of creatures.

/Tiny (Green) Turtle

Tags
freshwater idea>, malawi cichlid
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium