Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium
Notices

Old 05-31-2002, 08:23 PM   #21
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

There have been several examples in the saltwater version, that would not cohabitate peacefully ( the planned eel and the octopus is a prime example ). Basically, Jim tries to make the movements and personalities realistic, but draws the line at fights or lunch. He generally seems to use more of an artistic eye to make those inhabitant deceisions.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 10:49 AM   #22
hpman77
Blue Angel

and I think I can speak for most of us when I say "thanks Jim for that!"

having so many limits when making real freshwater aquariums (I never had a saltwater one), it's great to have species together that would be impossible to have in a real tank. Sometimes you can't pick a fish you want on a real aquarium because you know it'll have a short live there, or that will cause problems to your aquarium residents
.:: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ :: 512MB SDRAM :: Windows XP SP1 :: shappire ATI radeon 9600 PRO :: Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 :: Directx 9.0 :: (Always latest drivers for everything) ::.
hpman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 10:29 AM   #23
IXNAY
Green Frog

Hey Jim, when you'll release the first version of the freshwater aquarium wich status will it have? I should explain this question, well when you'll release the first version will it be like the first version of the saltwater aquarium or will it be like version 1.1 or will it have more features as version 1.1 of the saltwater aquarium? I hope you understood what I mean
I would prefer the first solution, develop the basics and release a beta
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 10:55 AM   #24
Jim Sachs
Developer

I don't have a final list of candidates for freshwater fish yet. You are right, I've tried to choose the saltwater fish population from those which would be reasonably compatible, but I can bend this rule a bit.

Here's the rule I have set: Creatures which would ordinarily not be kept together simply because of behavior will be allowed, and will only exhibit a mild form of their usual temperament (when I get around to programming species behavior). Creatures which would not survive in this tank because of physical conditions (temperature, size, salinity, etc.) will not be included.

At this time, I plan to allow cichlids and discus, but not goldfish or brackish water fish.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 08:05 PM   #25
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Personally I like those rules. There were several species that I had wanted to keep, but because of the incompatibility factor, I couldn't have the ones I really wanted. Its a nice compromise, and you get to see things that wouldn't normally be possible.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:33 PM   #26
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
No brackish water fish?
does that mean no figure 8 puffer?
oh well....but I remember that back to 8 yrs ago when I owned 3 figure 8 puffers, they were live perfectly in real freshwater for at least 2.5 yr.....
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 01:24 AM   #27
fubarhq
Registered

Thanks Jim, Looking forward to it.
Dave
"no one is worthless, you can always be used as a bad example."
fubarhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 11:43 AM   #28
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

Jim, are you going to take into account that most brackish water fish can be kept in fresh, especially if slowly adjusted to it? The pet store I used to work at had only fresh water tanks but kept several fish considered brackish or even salt water.

Also, I once read about a guy that slowly raised the salinity in a freshwater tank and slowly lowered it in a salt water tank, and after 10 years was keeping them all in the same tank- fish that would have been thought impossible to do so with due to salinity preferences.

Finally, if the freshwater Serenescreen tank is going to be similar in size to the salt one (200 gal I think it was?), that's large enough in reality to have a large arowana or two. I'm hoping you won't reject this as a possibility, given that they won't eat anything?
CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 11:49 AM   #29
IXNAY
Green Frog

Sounds really interesting man
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 01:28 PM   #30
drfish
the Doc

Sounds really untrue to me...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 11:29 PM   #31
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

No, it's true, Brackish water fish can adjust to live in fresh water tanks if done correctly. In fact, the figure 8 puffer is a perfect example. Come one Jim, bend the rules just a tiny bit more wont ya?
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 12:54 PM   #32
drfish
the Doc

I know brackish water fish can become adjusted to freshwater and some even into complete saltwater (Monos, Scats, etc...) but if you want them to be as healthy as possible they need to be somewhere in-between.

What I thought sounded untrue was the guy who got freshwater and saltwater fish to live together over the course of 10 years of careful acclimation. I'm thinkin' CephaloP read something that wasn't completely true. Otherwise I'd like to know where he read it and what exact fish were involved; if he remembers...
Old 06-07-2002, 05:45 PM   #33
BizarroTerl
Registered

Isn't 10 years a bit beyond the lifespan of most fish?
BizarroTerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 08:33 PM   #34
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I had one or two salt water species that I was able to keep for that long. I don't know as much about freshwater, but I would guess that it is stretching the limits.
Old 06-08-2002, 02:53 PM   #35
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

In the name of accuracy, that post should probably read "about 10 years or something". It was a year or two ago I ran across that story, and I don't remember the exact time it took, I just know it was a good while, with verrry gradual salinity change. I don't know what fish they were or even where I found the story, but it must have been at least a fairly reliable source, else I wouldn't have believed it myself

If I got REALLY lucky maybe I can find it again.

Maybe you could try a similar experiment, DrFish, and see what result you come up with?
CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 02:04 AM   #36
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

I don't know as much about freshwater, but I would guess that it is stretching the limits.
A good example of fish that live to a ripe and VERY old age are Koi. Even though they may not be tropical, they are still freshwater fish and can live upwards of 70 years. In some cases (although much less common) they have been known to live beyond 100 years old.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 03:41 AM   #37
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Doesn't a fish's life get boring after, oh, 3 weeks?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 08:15 AM   #38
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Not SereneScreen fish!
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 12:41 PM   #39
drfish
the Doc

Not if they can't remember their own existence for more than the previous 15 seconds... I think that's the stat I heard, for goldfish anyway. Kinda makes breeding difficult though...

I'm afraid I don't have the time/patience/resources/desire to do that CephaloP, but if you find that story bee sure you pass it on to us, I'd be interested to read it even if it was untrue.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium