Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 11-20-2001, 05:09 AM   #1
plasticeyeballs
Registered

Frame rate of 300+???

All this talk of how do you get aboce 40 fps?!! I can't get it above 2fps! Whats wrong? I've got P2 400 admitedly a crappy generic graphics chipset though 8mb and allows decent resolution. In 16bt, Win XP. Got latest Direct X. wehat else could it be??
plasticeyeballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 06:51 AM   #2
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Hold your horses for a moment

How 'bout a little patience there, plastic?

There's no need to ask the same thing twice. Most of the people on this board are located in the US, which means that they're five or six hours behind your Greenwich Mean Time and most likely still at sleep right now. Trust me, there will be an answer to your question, these guys do deliver...

I run the SS on a 8MB vid card (G200) myself at the moment and it's able to make it, but not much more. What resolution are you trying to run here? ("Decent" means different things to different people, you know.)

Say hi to Sven-Goran if you see him ;-) !

/Calle
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 07:21 AM   #3
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

plastic,

The video card carries the weight of running the aquarium. I am assuming that you ment G2 400. Which drivers do you have installed? But, here are some things you might look at:
  • Check your aquarium resolution, like Tiny said. If you are set at to high a resolution for that card, you could get those results. You can access the settings screen by hitting the space bar while the aquarium is running, or if you have it installed as a desktop icon, right click on it, and then left click on "Configure".

Go to start/run/ and type Dxdiag in the box and run thru the tests involved to make sure that everything is working at this point, and that DirectX is performing properly. On XP this could be slightly different, I don't have XP here to compare too.

Look at our help page here https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/help.html and if you need to change drivers, and need any help come to the chatroom.

The chatroom can be reached now by clicking on the word "Chatroom" under mine or feldon23's posts.

Last edited by Jav400; 11-20-2001 at 07:43 AM.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 09:37 AM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Yes, please find out what video card you have and let us know. I'm guessing it's an ATI. The Pentium II 400 doesn't really determine the speed of the Aquarium.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 02:22 PM   #5
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

G2 400?

Hey Jav, Whaddaya mean, G2 400? Did you read plastic's and my post as one or what? I run the SS on a Matrox Millenium G200 (8MB AGP) and nothing else.

/Tiny
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 04:16 PM   #6
plasticeyeballs
Registered

Ooops (Re 300+ fps)

Sorry guys, i'm new in here, didn't see first thread as machine splashed out, before i knew it i'd sent twice, pure accident!

Anyway, 8Mb S3 Trio 3d/2x 8MB Card is what I have - anyone know best driver for windows XP?
plasticeyeballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 09:28 PM   #7
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Ooops, sorry Tiny, I was in a hurry this morning, and I guess my typing and proof reading wasn't up to par.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 10:27 AM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

peb,

That card was made by S3, which changed its name to SonicBlue in late 2000. All cards made by S3 are considered abandonware now. I doubt you will have any success with SonicBlue's customer service line, but you can try 800 468-5846.

The only Windows XP driver available is the one that came on the Windows XP CD. Microsoft actually wrote a good chunk of it. You may have success trying to track down a Windows 2000 driver here:

http://www.s3graphics.com/

Click on Drivers at the top, acknowledge the disclaimers, and log into the driver archive.

You will probably need to download the DOS video card reporting utility to find out exactly what card you have, so you know which driver to install. A lot of these S3 cards are mislabeled or reported incorrectly. The DOS utility will set that straight.

Feel free to join us in the chatroom during reasonable hours (mid-morning or afternoon-evening as we can walk you through some of this process.

I hate to have to recommend that people buy a new video card just to run the Aquarium, but you might want to consider it. GeForce 2 MX's run about $65 and run considerably faster than what you've got.

Don't forget the 3D coral background is coming. That'll slow things down a bit on older cards.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 11-21-2001 at 10:29 AM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive