Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 08-30-2003, 01:31 AM   #1
Steven J Lowe
Blue Angel

Is it ok to have screensaver on all day?

I have my pc running from about 6am to 11pm daily and wondered if it does any harm to leave MA 2 running most of that time when the pc is not in use? ( I am in and out all day getting invoices etc) I was advised by an engineer not to leave this screensaver running all day as it is too cpu intensive? What do you people do?
Steven J Lowe
Steven J Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 03:00 AM   #2
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Running in unbridled mode the SS consumes quite a lot of CPU power (although it really doesn't need it). By using 16 bit color and tick the "limit framerate to..." box you should be off just fine.
Is the PC straining to cope with the SS today? How about some specs?
If you're running Win2k/XP you can press [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del] once and then choose "Task Manager". on the "Performance tab you should be able to see how much your CPU has to work (run the SS in a window using the "F" key) to watch these simultaneously.

/Tiny CPU Load
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 09:34 AM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I don't know what kind of computer, CPU, and video card you have, but some general guidelines exist.

If you change the following settings, CPU usage on the Aquarium should stay south of 20% and be plenty safe to run all the time:
  • Set the Aquarium to 16-bit color
  • Turn off Anisotropic Filtering and Antialiasing on your video card (either for the Aquarium or globally)
  • Make sure there is no 'status' line at the upper left. Press 'S' to remove it.
  • Set Limit frame rate (fps) to 58.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 11:21 AM   #4
Steven J Lowe
Blue Angel

My computer spec is- Xp2000 cpu,Radion 9000 128mb ddr Graphics card, two 80gb hds, 512mb ddr ram, 15in TFT ctx screen, running xp home.
Steven J Lowe
Old 08-30-2003, 02:25 PM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

More computer power than I have.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 02:28 PM   #6
Steven J Lowe
Blue Angel

Do you leave yours on screensaver?
Steven J Lowe
Old 08-30-2003, 03:33 PM   #7
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

In the past I have let mine run 24/7. I did that for several years without any side effects. But I have large fans and keep my system cool. Now I have it set to run for an hour and then go into sleep mode.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 03:57 AM   #8
clifdene
Registered

I have 40% CPU usage on SS but when I go to windowed mode usage goes to 100% and the fish come to a virtual standstill. Naturally I never use it. Would the changes above correct this?

CPU AMD Athlon XP 2003 MHX ( 7.5 x 271) 2400+
Motherboard Leadtek WinFast NVIDIA N Force 2
512MB DDR PC 2700 SDRAM 160gb hard drive
Video Card ATI Radeon 9500 (R300) 128MB
Sound Card NVIDIA Sound Storm
Direct X 9.0b
clifdene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 05:40 AM   #9
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Cliffdene (Cliff?),
A Radeon 9.5k should be able to run the SS without breaking a sweat. I suspect there's something fishy (no pun intended) with your vid card drivers. Perhaps there's some sort of conflict with the onboard NForce2 graphics? I suggest you try and update the ATi drivers...

/Tiny Sweat

P.S.
Try the above recommendations out aswell, – Should look fine and run a bit cooler...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:20 AM   #10
clifdene
Registered

Many thanks. Clifdene is part of my address and I live in Northern Ireland. Norman is my first name.
clifdene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 03:05 PM   #11
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Check

/TT

Old 08-31-2003, 11:08 PM   #12
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I used to leave mine on 24/7 and never had any problems, but that's when the PC was in the same room as my bed and TV so it was nice to be watching TV or reading a book and look over to see the fish swimming around, and it also acted as a nightlight. Now the PC is in the office and I don't look at it unless I'm using it, so I use my all time favorite screensaver "flying through space" more often because it uses such low resources.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive