Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium
Notices

Old 11-09-2004, 05:15 AM   #1
GreenHsiF
SereneScreenFanatic

What is the status of the freshwater aquarium?

Hey Jim,are you still working on the freshwater aquarium?What are you working on now?What things have you already finished for the freshwater aquarium?

Thanks for the info,keep up the good work.
GreenHsiF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:00 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Most of the work I had done on the Freshwater Tank will have to be re-done when I come up with a new 3D format. This is necessary for the more complex fish and invertabrate animation which will be necessary.

But I'm currently preoccupied with designing our Oregon house. This is an enourmous job. For example, right now I'm researching how thick glass will have to be in order to withstand the pressure of water 6 feet below the surface of the pool, for the window into the game room. There are thousands of details like this to be sorted out, but I've got a crew waiting to start work, so the plans have to be finished ASAP. After I get them started, I hope to be able to devote my full attention to the Freshwater Tank.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:06 AM   #3
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Jim, you might check into Acrylic for the window. It is more clear than glass and you can get it thicker. PM me the dimensions of the pool, and the size of the window you want, and I can get you an answer quick. Or if you want I can give you a phone call.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
Socrates
Sage

But in a permanent installation where people may bump into it with hard objects, won't glass be easier to maintain in the long run?
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:43 PM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, I agree with Soc - Glass is forever, and I'm trying to build the ultimate maintainance-free house.
Jim Sachs
Old 11-09-2004, 08:25 PM   #6
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Yes and no, there are many newer materials that have much better properties than what you are probably familiar with. The AR ( Abrasian Resistant ) sheet is used in many applications where this is a concern. The optical clairity of acrylic is much better than glass, its about half the total weight of glass, many times the impact strength of glass, and this coated material has many many times the abrasion and chemical resistance of standard material.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:55 PM   #7
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I'm with Jav, I used to work in a plastics factory and the new stuff now a days is incredible.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:43 PM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

Michael sent me a message with more info, and I'm looking into it.
Jim Sachs
Old 11-10-2004, 04:08 AM   #9
drfish
the Doc

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
...I'm trying to build the ultimate maintainance-free house.
I've got a dream design with that goal in mind floating around in my head for many years down the road... I take it you won't have grass in your yard then?
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:52 AM   #10
Jim Sachs
Developer

Well, I will have about 4 acres of grass. But I'm buying a tractor with a 6-foot-diameter mower from my neighbor. He says it mows at the rate of about an acre every 10 minutes.

Hopefully, the micro-robotics industry will soon live up to its promise of molecular-sized robots which will climb each blade of grass, and cut them off at 2 inches

(Without doing the same to people, or anything else standing on the lawn.)
Jim Sachs
Old 11-10-2004, 12:14 PM   #11
drfish
the Doc

My dad mows his 3 acres with a bush hog, and it takes no time at all... Those things are great, and having a tractor is always useful... Make sure you can rig it up with a plow, bucket, and forks, you'll want to eventually...

Anyway, back to on topic...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium