Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 10-21-2006, 03:36 PM   #41
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

Sounds like your system may be overheating.

Try running other 3D programs that uses the CPU to see if it locks up.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:23 PM   #42
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Concur with Edgar. Ultimately, it comes down to overheating. Download MotherBoardMonitor or other utility which gives you the CPU and motherboard temp.

Might consider a different CPU fan that has more cooling. I love Zalman.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:00 PM   #43
mars_tech
Internet Holistician

Thought so too, but although the cpu gets warm, 45C, it doesn't reach frying temp. Mobo even lower (as expected). Will look again tomorrow after some deep thought... (its past midnight here now and anyone who knows me will confirm that I need my beauty sleep.)
Mark
mars_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #44
Jim Sachs
Developer

It does sound like classic overheating symtoms, but maybe the graphics chip, not the CPU.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #45
mars_tech
Internet Holistician

GPU running at 63-65C under most 'heavy' conditions. I'll try a big force-cooler to see if I can drop the temp further, but it is rated over 100C (120C+). I might even risk some freezer spray via the heatsink if I can get away without cracking the chip!!!
Mark
Old 10-25-2006, 05:13 PM   #46
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Don't use freezer spray. You'll crack the chip. And that is hot. Mine runs at 23c to 30c. But then again I'm water cooled. Do you have your case moded? I know some people have lights in there case that will heat up the case if you don't have enough fans in the case. What kind of fans do you have in your case and how many? And what kind of case do you have? This will all help us to help you.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:46 PM   #47
mars_tech
Internet Holistician

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I stuck a cold (2deg C) airstream onto the cpu and gpu in turn, and gave them as long as necessary, but the hang still hit after about 2 hours approx in both cases. Then a thought struck me about the difference between the US English and International English versions of the drivers. After a spot of googling, general opinion seemed to favour older versions of the driver. I've installed/ tested/ uninstalled the latest versions of the drivers (91.47_forceware_winxp2k_international_whql) then (91.47_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql) then 91.36 then 84.21 then 81.98..... and with some help from 3Dguru.com finally settled on 76.44 which is described by many as being the last stable bugfree version. And it seems (so far) to have worked. No hangs, hiccups, etc. The temperatures seen to be as before, but now I have unchecked the "Limit frame rate" box and it still seems to be working. There has been another bonus too... there is a level of detail in the Red Lionfish that I didn't even know existed. Jim, deep respect for the quality and rendition!!
Mark
Old 10-31-2006, 06:35 PM   #48
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Amazing. Glad things worked out for you and will make sure to remember 76.44 is the weapon of choice...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive