Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-11-2002, 03:37 AM   #21
Cod
Registered

I have 300w power supply. All other programs that put the CPU and video card under load, including 3DMark and games, run fine.

The CPU temperature rises to around 50C under full load, otherwise it's around 45C. The motherboard is around 36 - 40C

The fan for my CPU is rated up to AthlonXP 2100+ and has good heatsink compound on it and the case has an internal fan as well.

It should be fine at those temperatures.

The Geforce 4 also has a fan on it.

I know I don't have the very latest 4 in 1s but I don't really want to update them as I think the later versions are all betas. Everything else on my system seems to work well.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 10:22 AM   #22
MegaHertz
Registered

Try turning off vSync. My GeForce 4 was doing the same thing in the SS only til I turned off vSync.
Hello...Welcome to the Police 9-1-1 Hotline..." If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly. If you are codependant, ask someone to press 2. If you are a multiple personality, press 3, 4, 5, and 6. If you are paranoid, we know who you are and we are tracing this call. If you are schizophrenic, a little voice will tell you what to do. If you are depressed, it doesn't matter which # you push it will be wrong anyway.
MegaHertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 11:02 AM   #23
gregzbobo
Registered

The 4 in 1 drivers currently up for download on the Via website aren't beta.
Athlon XP 1600+
512 megs PC2100 DDR RAM
Gigabyte GA-7DXR
dual 40 gig Maxtor in RAID 0
Windows XP Professional
GeForce 4 ti4600 with nvidia 40.41 BETA reference drivers
Getting up to 80 fps in the saver at 1152 X 864 @ 75 hertz screen resolution.
gregzbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 04:44 PM   #24
Cod
Registered

I've downloaded the latest 4 in 1 drivers now. Still the same problem. Got the 40.41 detonators too.

I've tried turning of vsync as well but then everything runs too fast and the bubble column looks weird.

Quick question: How come in the advanced display properties (in control panel) there's an option to turn of vsync for OpenGL apps but not an option to turn of vsync for D3D apps? Do you always have to use another program such as Rivatuner to turn it off?
Old 09-16-2002, 06:15 PM   #25
Socrates
Sage

Originally posted by Cod

Quick question: How come in the advanced display properties (in control panel) there's an option to turn of vsync for OpenGL apps but not an option to turn of vsync for D3D apps? Do you always have to use another program such as Rivatuner to turn it off?
Isn't this a requirement for WHQL drivers?

I think if the driver is certified it has to not have that option. I remember this coming up before.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 07:07 PM   #26
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Cod,
Did you look under the "More Direct3D" button? Vsync option is there in the 30.82 driver.

Socrates,
In the driver properties it says "Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher". Does that mean my driver is WHQL certified?
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 07:28 PM   #27
Socrates
Sage

Originally posted by Mountainmaster
Cod,
Did you look under the "More Direct3D" button? Vsync option is there in the 30.82 driver.

Socrates,
In the driver properties it says "Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher". Does that mean my driver is WHQL certified?
I don't know what the rlationship is between passing WHQL logo requirements and using a Microsoft signature are. The WHQL tell you that some kind of criteria have been tested. The signature tell you it's a safe driver, assuming you trust the source. I just don't know what details apply.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 09:18 PM   #28
MegaHertz
Registered

I just went into the detonator control panel and the option to turn off vSync under D3D is there under the more options tab.
Attached Images
File Type: gif nvidia control panel.gif (83.3 KB, 277 views)
Hello...Welcome to the Police 9-1-1 Hotline..." If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly. If you are codependant, ask someone to press 2. If you are a multiple personality, press 3, 4, 5, and 6. If you are paranoid, we know who you are and we are tracing this call. If you are schizophrenic, a little voice will tell you what to do. If you are depressed, it doesn't matter which # you push it will be wrong anyway.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:03 PM   #29
Cod
Registered

Hmmm....but not with the 40.41s it seems!

Anyway I still don't think that's the problem that I have - if I turn off vsync, everything seems to run too fast.

Can't understand why limiting frame rate to 60 actually makes it run at around 40. Something is amiss.

Still looks good - just a bit juddery. I just hate those problems that are there most of the time and then disappear for no apparent reason, only to return once you've switched off and back on again.

Computers - don't you just love 'em?
Old 09-17-2002, 06:18 PM   #30
MegaHertz
Registered

That is a screenshot of the 40.41's
Old 09-19-2002, 11:57 AM   #31
Cod
Registered

Weird - that's not what I get on my 40.41s
I just get texel alignment and that's it. And I don't get the refresh rate button either.
Don't know why?
Old 09-19-2002, 12:44 PM   #32
MegaHertz
Registered

Have you applied the coolbit registry tweak? I think that that is what renables the clock freq tab and that option.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:53 PM   #33
Cod
Registered

No, but i have rivatuner - does the same thing. The buble column looks weird when i disable vsync and i get 240ish fps - but it still looks jerky!

I think I'm just going to have to put up with this one.
It's a shame cos it does spoil the enjoyment a bit
Old 10-17-2002, 10:25 PM   #34
Cyrust
Registered

9 Highscores

Thumbs Down jerky movement fixed with new drivers

Nvidia beta drivers. (40.72)

I was having problems with the aquarium ever since I upgraded to a GeForce 4 4400. I also had trouble with Unreal Tournament 2003 demo and full game.

Got the new drivers (40.72) posted Oct. 3rd I believe is the date and all is well with UT 2003 and the aquarium is now smooth as silk, even with V-sync on.

I have an ASUS P45333 MB. Give it a try, but, YMMV.
Cyrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 03:30 PM   #35
Cod
Registered

Well I've sorted it - although I don't have a clue how.
I recently got a cable modem and having installed it I noticed that the aquarium is smooth as you like. Which is totally weird if you ask me because it used to be jerky all the time even if I was offline and not using my 56k modem.

As far as I can remember I haven't changed any other major settings - still using the 40.71 detonators etc.

If anyone has any idea as to why installing a cable modem might affect the running of the aquarium, I'd love to know
Old 10-29-2002, 03:39 AM   #36
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

So if the SSA became smoother when you removed the 56k modem and installed the cable modem. Out of those two operations, my money would be on the 56k removal as the probable solution. Then again would you expect it to be logical – it's a computer...

BTW, my very similar setup (Asus A7V333, XP2k+, MSI GF4Ti4200-64MB, 512MB-PC2700) runs it smooth as silk although it raises the temps a bit.

/Tiny Logic

P.S.
Was the modem always on (not online – just not turned off) or perhaps an internal version?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 12:16 PM   #37
feldon34
Forum Administrator

those internal "Winmodems" can be pretty awful. The <$50 modems have a handful of chips and a telephone plug and offload most of the modem-type work and calculations to the CPU. Some of these cards/drivers are terrible.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 04:38 PM   #38
Cod
Registered

Yeah it could be that, although it wasn't a winmodem, it was a Diamond Supra 56k, which although not very pricey, is quite a good modem and I think is probably in fairly widespread use.

Also, this setup under Windows 98 (before I moved to cable) caused no problems at all.

The modem is still installed in my system too.

At least I'm happy everything is working ok now - just nice to know why it wasn't before.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:20 AM   #39
LyDecker
Registered

Jerky movement, XP with GF4 TI4600

Hi all !!
just new here ;-)
i have the same problems with
jerky movements in WinXP, i found out, that when i run
the Mediaplayer, only start it no media play or something,
then the SS Aquarium runs fine and smooth......
but when i close the Mediaplayer its jerky again !!
No Progs running behind....
(sorry for my bad english, I´m German )

I like this Screensaver very much !!!

Greetings, Andreas

System: WinXP SP1
CPU : Intel P4 2GHZ
RAM : 512MB
GraKa : GeForce4 TI4600 128MB
Driver: : Nvidia Deto 41.03
LyDecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive