Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 06-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #1701
Marian Nichols
~Author~

no words needed
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #1702
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

So, Jim, how much do you anticipate MA3 will cost when it comes out as a beta, and what will the the price go up to after beta testing is finished?
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #1703
Jim Sachs
Developer

Prolific and I have different ideas about the roll-out. I was hoping for a "soft" rollout, with a free download of the Beta for any 2.6 owner, and a $5 upgrade fee from MA2.6 when it's ready for prime-time, but it looks like the price will be more like $9.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #1704
enigma63941
Registered

Don't go for a "soft" roll out Jim. Go for a multimedia blitz "SUPER HARD" roll out. With print ads, radio, and even television spots. The NBA finals are on on fathers day. Maybe Prolific could shell out some money for a movie like trailer announcing to the world the upcoming 3.0 screen saver with special effects and everything. Theirs a lot of fish screen savers out there and their hasn't been any major updates released on any of them. Like I said before I think EVERYBODY is waiting for yours to come out so they can see the REAL competition and then try to emulate it. Their waiting to see how high a benchmark your going to set. Don't set it to high though Jim. Save a little something for..you know..MA 4.0. Shall we say 2015
enigma63941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #1705
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Prolific and I have different ideas about the roll-out. I was hoping for a "soft" rollout, with a free download of the Beta for any 2.6 owner, and a $5 upgrade fee from MA2.6 when it's ready for prime-time, but it looks like the price will be more like $9.  
I expect that Prolific will have paid some programmer at least a few hours to develop the fish interface.... seems reasonable that they would want a return on their investment.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:45 PM   #1706
Jim Sachs
Developer

enigma - Somehow, I doubt if there will be TV ads for the Aquarium during the NBA finals. (Considering in the past 8 years, we have had no advertising at all.)

Ralph - There are at least 4 people at Prolific working fairly hard on various aspects of the Aquarium. Fish-picker interfaces, music interfaces, playlist programming, multimonitor code, and an installer all need to be done. So yes - Prolific is entitled to a return on their investment of programmer time, especially since it is cutting into their vital Qtask development time.

The jobs I've chosen for myself are the collision-avoidance code and search for MIDI instruments. Hopefully, it won't be long before all these threads are joined and we can start testing a real Beta version.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #1707
pseudografx
Registered

Any screenshots of the upcomming version to look forward to?

Hi Jim,
I really like what you do and I am eager to see the new version. How far do you think you are from having the aquarium ready for some screenshots? :-)
pseudografx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #1708
Jim Sachs
Developer

I think I put some screenshots in this thread about 25 pages ago.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-25-2008, 10:28 AM   #1709
Highlander
Registered

I think I put some screenshots in this thread about 25 pages ago.  

yeah be sure to have the Hubble telescope handy
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups !
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #1710
Jim Sachs
Developer

There were some larger-scale ones earlier, but just part of the screen.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #1711
cjmaddy
Registered

Here you go...
https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...postcount=1083
https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...postcount=1211
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #1712
iMark
Registered

oh wow..I saw a very tiny pic a while ago, but guess I missed the larger ones....it looks awesome...can't wait to see it in actuality...thanks for the links, Cliff....
iMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #1713
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

..also note that the actual fish in that shot aren't improved at all – that will follow after the tank itself looks (and works) alright.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #1714
Vish
Registered

I had to say something. Have been a quite reader for a while....!

I hope the beta comes out by this Christmas...!
--Vish
Vish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #1715
dboyd420
Registered

Wow, you can really see the difference in those sample pics. It looks like fake fish in a real reef. Can't wait to see the fish update too. Nice work!

How are the beta testers chosen?
dboyd420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #1716
Jim Sachs
Developer

Actually, the deadline for the release version was yesterday. We're late, but it's not entirely my fault this time. Prolific still has some items to finish up, too.

I've had to rethink my whole collision-avoidance scheme. The better the fish got at avoiding the background, the less realistic their movement was becoming. So, fo the last few nights, I've been walking around my cluttered house with my eyes closed, trying to figure out what mental algorithm I need to use to avoid objects.

The Beta testers are chosen by Morgan from Forum members who have been around for about 8 years.
Jim Sachs

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 06-25-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:34 PM   #1717
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

I've had to rethink my whole collision-avoidance scheme. The better the fish got at avoiding the background, the less realistic their movement was becoming. So, fo the last few nights, I've been walking around my cluttered house with my eyes closed, trying to figure out what mental algorithm I need to use to avoid objects.  
Stubbed toes... bruised shins... Taking programing to a new level.. I seem to recall at some point you mentioned your wife works in a hospital.. that may come in handy.
Hope you come up with an inspiration before you take the next step of beating your head against a wall.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:04 AM   #1718
Jim Sachs
Developer

She's in Labor and Delivery, so unless I crack my head open and a baby pops out, she's useless.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-26-2008, 04:02 AM   #1719
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Only to you Jim, LOL!

I often get my best inspirations at night. Sometimes in dreams, other times right after I awake and lay in bed a moment thinking. This can be anywhere from 2AM to 5AM.

Something I learned is, after lying down and before going to sleep. I will concentrate on my stumbling blocks, that sets the stage for night time wanderings/wondering. Often I will awake with a solution. But if you are one who does not remember your dreams or can not decipher them then this excise may not work for you. It does takes practice.

Don't let the pressure get to you, if need be, take a few hours or even a day away from your tasks, step back and observe it with a different eye.

And good luck, I have you in my thoughts.
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:26 AM   #1720
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Useless huh? I hope she doesn't read the forum much or we will never see the finished version.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive