Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows
Notices

Old 07-08-2003, 05:25 PM   #21
cjmaddy
Registered

Mark,

That, as you say, is your opinion. On this occasion I will have to disagree with you strongly. Bar not being 3D, - EVERYTHING else in v1.1wide is so far ahead of all the others, that there is nothing else to say ....... IMO!

Even in 2D, that coral is "absolutely and most magnificently fabulous!!!!!" ......
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 05:40 PM   #22
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Falz
I still don't see where I abused anyone, cjmdaddy, or where I was rude.
As I've stated, none of your posts have been censored, deleted, or judged in this thread.

The posts which were removed were made by anhduh (twice) and GreenHsiF. GreenHSiF has chosen to let the issue drop. Anhduh, we're not sure yet.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 06:07 PM   #23
Wizwad
Only me...

Originally posted by cjmaddy
That, as you say, is your opinion. On this occasion I will have to disagree with you strongly. Bar not being 3D, - EVERYTHING else in v1.1wide is so far ahead of all the others, that there is nothing else to say ....... IMO!

Even in 2D, that coral is "absolutely and most magnificently fabulous!!!!!" ......
That is a dead coral! It is no more! If it wasn't glued to the tank it would be pushing up the seaweed! Or something like that.

It's a nice background, I'll admit. OK, I'll even go so far as to say it's a really, REALLY nice background. But it's static. Except for the bubbles. And those superb fish just go back and forth, forth and back. Sorry, I mean right and left, left and right. They definitely and most decidedly don't swim forward or back because of that two plane limitation currently inherent in the MA. So the fish are a little bit wasted.

I feel very disloyal for currently preferring the GA. Honestly, I didn't expect to! Really! That's just the way it's turned out. For now. If it helps, I think Moby is really horrid! Looks like something out of a horror film. Forget Piranhas, now there's Mobies!

(But anyway, was still a good way to stir things up and yet be nice about it, wasn't it! )
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 07:46 PM   #24
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Well my .02 follows along the standard lines, and I guess everyone knows where they are. I found this site right before Christmas many many years ago, in a galaxy far far away.......... wait, no thats the wrong story. Hrmph.

I have been envolved in one way or the other in this forum almost since its inception. I first watched and read about SS for several weeks and finally posted. After that, I promptly mailed Jim my $$$ directly to his house I was so impressed with his work. After several more months Morgan asked me if I would mind lending a hand and assume the mantle of Administrator. After careful consideration, and even though this is Morgan's forum I sought and received Jim's approval, and with that conformation in hand I accepted.

I have talked with Jim for several years now and watched his progress and dedication over that time span. Throughout all the ups and downs, and there have been several, through the days and weeks where he worked 16-20 hours a day to solve some minor problem that someone else might not have even noticed, during the times when he has had to discard weeks worth of work because it didn't suit his idea of what the SS "could be", I have applauded his dedication, and I have waited sometimes as impatiently as everyone else here, but I have never been disappointed with what he has felt "fit to release". Sometimes he returns later to "polish up" some items, but he has so far stuck to his original goals and done his absolute best to supply the most realistic saver available. Now I am not saying that he is perfect, no one is, but after being here for this long I can honestly say that he does his dead level best to produce and maintain his original promises. In this day and age, that is something I applaud.

MA is #1 to me for those and many other reasons.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 09:59 PM   #25
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Well if everyone is taking sides.... I think the SS series is superior.
To go into detail would be to run down the competition. Both developers are striving to provide the best in their own ways. And we should be gratefull to have a choice.

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:14 PM   #26
Jim Sachs
Developer

Please don't think of the Goldfish Tank as competition. We are on the same team. It's not an either/or situation with these products. I can't think of a single documented case where someone bought the Goldfish INSTEAD of the Marine Aquarium. I want Prolific to do well with this and all their products. In fact, it is extremely important to me for them to do well. I will continue to help them in their efforts. They have full use of all my source code. We had a meeting today, and I saw some exciting stuff they have in the works.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 02:00 AM   #27
Falz
Registered

"I believe" means it's my OPINION, it's not a statement of fact. It's simply my observation based on my preference. Goldfish Aquarium wouldn't exist without Marine Aquarium either, as it's engine obviously has origins in the MA (whether Jim coded this all himself, I don't know). I know this.

In fact, people in this thread have been much more "disrespectful" towards the GA author than I ever was towards Jim. You need to allow people to have their opinions and not get pissed off and bash others when it doesn't match yours.

I also like that GA is something new, because MA is basically unchanged, apart from minor cosmetic things, new fish (and probably lots of internal work) since I bougt it over 3 years ago. It's looking dated, not necessarily because there's better stuff, just because it's looked the same for so long. And you might think that's great, but I mean, the 3D background was announced what, nearly 2 years ago now. I think it needs the facelift, the GA has so much more "life" to me, mainly because of the plants and ripples, and the fish behaviour. I know this is all planned for MA but as it stands right now, the GA is a better simulation to me. The fish bang into the glass and stuff. I've never actually paid much attention to goldfish when I've seen them, so I don't know how realistic that doggy wagging tail thing is, but I like it.

Anyway, I bought both of them. I like both of them. It's just great to finally have something else to look at

Oh and before anyone has a go at me for being impatient, that wasn't what I was trying to say. I know these things get done when they get done and I'm greatful there will be no upgrade payment when it finally arrives, though I'd obviously pay it. It's just there's so much promise and we are all eagerly awaiting it (as well as the freshwater aquarium).
Falz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 02:11 AM   #28
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Wizwad
I feel very disloyal for currently preferring the GA.
Traitor! You should be banned from the forum! <--- Sarcastic smiley of course.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:18 PM   #29
cjmaddy
Registered

Mark, - As a GA fan, have you noticed the striking resemblance between Algernon and Edgar Davids? - The folks across the pond probably don't know who he is! - But head on, it's a dead ringer!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 10:44 PM   #30
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

Fun stuff

Thanks to everyone for being willing to give so much energy to both or either products.

I know personally that the MA team and the GA team simply want to continue to improve both products (and other products to come) for a long time. These are great products to work on. We love our work.

They are actually funny in that they are completely 100% diffirent while being of a similar nature.

Jim has the most amazing talent to place each pixel like the hand of god, on purpose, but without footprints.

GA on the other hand (no pun intended) is attempting to provide a more malleable space (different tanks) for true 3-space (animals that can move anywhere they wish), and at a larger scale (also no pun).

Everything will just keep getting better and better.
Reichart... , CTO, Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Come visit us Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Reichart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 05:31 AM   #31
Wizwad
Only me...

Originally posted by patscarr
Traitor! You should be banned from the forum!
Eeek! < hides under table and tries not to be noticed for continued presence! <-- trying to look inconspicuous >
Originally posted by cjmaddy
Mark, - As a GA fan, have you noticed the striking resemblance between Algernon and Edgar Davids? - The folks across the pond probably don't know who he is! - But head on, it's a dead ringer!
You know, you're spot on! I had to go away and learn a bit about footie personalities first though! GA fan, yes; footie fan, nuh-uh! My favourite ball game is snooker. I could sit and watch it all day. Don't know why, as not much happens except for a few objects travelling gently around the screen. Oh, wait - just like Aquarium screensavers!
Originally posted by the Baron
Everything will just keep getting better and better.
That's great news, Reichart!
As one of these improvements, though, can you make the join of Frieda's tail a bit smoother? I keep getting the feeling that she's had an accident and someone's stuck on an artificial tail using superglue. The body needs to merge into the tail a bit more smoothly.

OK, so maybe the efforts to be inconspicuous aren't working so well!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows