Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #21
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Jeremy:
To Feldon34:

I don't mean my post to turn into a debate, but according to figures shown on this forum, it boasts "Registered Members: 3,971" and now "Browsing Forum: 49." However, you say only 19 members of those are active members. Who's correct, you or the figures displayed?  
Number of unique users who have posted since January 2016: 19
Number of unique users who have posted since January 2015: 65

I setup this forum on December 12, 2000. That's over 15 years ago. Yes, there have been a lot of registered users since that time. It was a very active forum in the early days. However after 15 years, interest in any product or topic will eventually fade.
Also, from what you say, does it mean that out of all the sales at SereneScreen, money is not allotted to maintain a forum to serve as support for the SereneScreen Aquarium community? That I find extremely odd. Regarding Prolific, by what is shown on the SereneScreen website, Prolific is part of SereneScreen, Is it not?  
I started this forum within 2 months of the Aquarium being released. At first, the Aquarium was independently published by Jim Sachs off his own website. Then it went to a publisher and that's when it blew up. It went to retail sales in stores and sold by the wagon load. Now it's pretty much back to how it was at the beginning-- one guy.

SereneScreen is Jim's baby. Prolific are a software development company that Jim partnered with and allowed them to sell his products as well as use the Aquarium screen saver tech to expand into other products like the Goldfish Aquarium, FlagPride, etc.
I sent a question to the SereneScreen website over a month ago specifically about this problem but I didn't even get a response.  
Prolific had been handling the tech support, paying a support person out of the money made from the Aquarium. I'm not sure what the current status is on this. I even did support for a few months but when I tried to push them to modernize things, they couldn't be arsed to give me an hour with one of their programmers to setup an environment so I could start coding the new support site. I gave up and so it's still an unnecessarily annoying process to lookup each customer, compare notes, and send support e-mails. My process would have reduced the average support issue resolution from 15 minutes to 90 seconds. Oh well.
As for the search words, I agree with you, "10" is too short a word to search for, but I did search for "windows" and "zoom," and those words displayed so many results where "windows" and "zoom" were not even mentioned. It should have displayed results only where those words do appear. I'm not sure, but maybe the search engine can be additionally configured to display more accurate results?  
This forum is set to use the SQL FULLTEXT engine for searching which I agree is inaccurate for common words. I made this decision years and years ago as a performance savings over the built-in search which is more accurate but slower, because at the time I had a slow server with not a lot of RAM. Now that we're on a fast server (which I pay for every month out-of-pocket), it should be possible to switch to the more accurate search.

I have initiated the migration to Built-in Search. It will take about 30 minutes for the process to complete...
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:47 PM   #22
feldon34
Forum Administrator

A search for "windows zoom goldfish" now reveals only this thread.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 02-14-2016, 09:55 PM   #23
Jeremy
Registered

Hello Jim:

As per usual, the artist has always made and always will make much less than the business people involved in any artistic project. Unfortunately I know from having been involved in the music business since I was thirteen years old; www.billyjoeconor.com. That's me. I have written songs ever since then, under several names, and most of the money has gone to the business people involved. Somehow, they can always justify where it all goes, into promotion, never into lining their pockets; anything to keep it away from the artists who do the creative work.
The very best of luck to you in finishing all construction of your home. It looks beautiful. I took a good look at the images on your website. May you enjoy many happy years in it.

Hi Feldon34:

Looks like all the work you've put into this website has been and is a labour of love. I admire you for having done it and for continuing to do simply because you obviously love the aquariums. I do also. I couldn't think of a better reason for doing anything; that's why I always write songs, because I love to write them. It makes me happy, and hopefully it does the same for those who hear them.
Thank you for the explanations in your post. Although users are not posting as much as they did, I see there are many browsers; 52 right now! Thank you also for configuring the search engine as you explained.

Regards,

Billy Joe Conor

Jeremy (user name)
Jeremy

Last edited by Jeremy; 02-15-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:03 PM   #24
Jeremy
Registered

Originally posted by feldon34:
Thank you again for your reconfiguration of the search engine. I look very much forward to using it.
Jeremy

Last edited by Jeremy; 02-15-2016 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #25
Jim Sachs
Developer

Jeremy - When I go to your website, it sounds like two songs start playing at the same time.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #26
Jeremy
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Jeremy - When I go to your website, it sounds like two songs start playing at the same time.  
Hi Jim:

Thank you very, very much for pointing out the problem. Yes, in fact two songs were being played by the player on website load. Thanks to you, the problem has now been corrected and only one song at a time plays on site load.
I have to say, this is a perfect example of something good coming out of something bad: If it weren't for the fact that I had a display problem with Goldfish Aquarium2, I never would have been alerted by you to the fact that the music player on my website somehow corrupted.

Many Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 02-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #27
Jeremy
Registered

Hello again Jim:

I have to mention how much I love your Marine Aquarium. Initially, I wasn't crazy about the elk's horn you added when you first made it 3D, but now it's grown to be one of my favorite additions you made. The aquarium has given me and continues to give me many hours of pleasure.

Thank You,
Jeremy
Old 02-17-2016, 01:03 AM   #28
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks, Jeremy. Glad to have been of service. Nice website.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-17-2016, 06:01 AM   #29
cjmaddy
Registered

Oh no! - Don't say the "Ugly antlers" have returned. - I sense another thread has run its course...
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:52 AM   #30
Jeremy
Registered

Thanks very much Jim.
Jeremy
Old 02-18-2016, 01:53 AM   #31
Jeremy
Registered

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
Oh no! - Don't say the "Ugly antlers" have returned. - I sense another thread has run its course...  
I love the antlers now cjmaddy. As I told Jim, they've grown to be one of my favorite additions to the 3d tank. Admittedly, when they were first added I was so used to the older tank without the antlers that I didn't like seeing them in the new tank. On the contrary, now I think they're outstandingly attractive. I run Absolute Screensaver Changer to alternate between the Marine Aquarium and the Goldfish aquarium every time my PC runs a screensaver. I absolutely love their realism and beauty and for years they've given me and continue to give me many hours of pleasure.
Jeremy
Old 02-18-2016, 09:53 PM   #32
Jim Sachs
Developer

Darn - I forgot to ask Eric Daniels about the 'zoom' feature in Goldfish. First we were busy talking about his cool new job at Disney, then Margie's new job, then I gave them a tour of my castle, and the time just slipped by. I'll email him about your question.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-19-2016, 03:16 AM   #33
Jeremy
Registered

It's OK Jim. In the meantime I do have your aquarium running! The goldfish can wait.

By the way, is it true that goldfish have a fifteen second memory and so by the time they go from one end of a tank to the other, they forget where they've been? If so, then what they see is always new!
Jeremy
Old 02-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #34
feldon34
Forum Administrator

By the way, is it true that goldfish have a fifteen second memory and so by the time they go from one end of a tank to the other, they forget where they've been? If so, then what they see is always new!  
Nope they tested this on Mythbusters.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:09 AM   #35
Wizwad
Only me...

Plus, there have been experiments with regard to feeding patterns, and if they are fed according to a set pattern then the fish will learn that pattern and know when to expect the next feeding. Similarly, if certain sounds have been played at the same time as food has been provided then the fish will come to associate the two events. Then they will remember the association up to 5 months afterwards, or at least that's what it says here.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #36
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Add a messy divorce and you have what you have now -- silence.  
Have Jim and Prolific parted ways? When did the messy divorce happen? Jim always speaks highly of Reichart.

Now that we're on a fast server (which I pay for every month out-of-pocket), it should be possible to switch to the more accurate search.

I have initiated the migration to Built-in Search. It will take about 30 minutes for the process to complete...  
Great Job, Morgan! Thanks for your never ending efforts!

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
...First we were busy talking about his cool new job at Disney, then Margie's new job, then I gave them a tour of my castle...  
What's he doing at Disney? Is Prolific, like, still a company with employees or have they fizzled out? If so, what is Reichart doing these days?

How is the castle coming along, Jim? Get your smart phone or tablet out and give us a video tour! How cool would that be!
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:37 AM   #37
Jeremy
Registered

Morgan/Mark:

It should have been obvious that goldfish have a longer memory than 15 seconds, but it wasn't, and I'm glad they do. The experiments with feeding patterns certainly prove it.

By the way, only recently I discovered that Koi fish like to be petted like little puppies. For me this was an enlightening experience. Are there other fish like that?
Jeremy
Old 02-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #38
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

By the way, only recently I discovered that Koi fish like to be petted like little puppies. For me this was an enlightening experience. Are there other fish like that?  
I think I read someplace that the great white sharks like that as well. Trouble is like puppies they like to chew on things as well.

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:08 AM   #39
Robertman

Ha-ha - do you really think that white sharks are puppies? I'm afraid they're not, especially looking for them in Australia.
Robertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:30 AM   #40
Jeremy
Registered

Hi Jim:

Just a reminder - Would you please ask Eric Daniels about the 'zoom' feature in Goldfish 2?
In Windows 10, Goldfish 2 needs help in that regard; as it is it doesn't fill the screen on top and bottom.

Thanks
Jeremy
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows