Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 05-24-2004, 08:15 PM   #1081
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The coral is going to be one-sided for 2 reasons:

First, the photographic technique used to "paint" the coral only works at a limited viewing angle.

Second, the market for the Aquarium is computers as much as 5 years old with good but not extraordinary video cards. It's not a compromise, it's just a wise decision to make the Aquarium look good but also run on as many computers as is possible.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:54 PM   #1082
cincy-gal
Registered

maybe if I place this idea in various threads it'll get seen

virtual marine aquarium desktop or theme......that way I can have it as my screen saver and desktop and watch it as I actually get work done!
cincy-gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:10 AM   #1083
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

C-G,
Jim Sachs – the creator of this screen-saver – feels very strongly aginst the idea of having people putting icons and stuff (grafitti as he calls it) on top of his beloved fish. The issue has been debated numerous times, but since it's Jim who's making the magic, he's the one who gets the last word.

Crossposting isn't really "", – it's more of "", y'know...

/Tiny Razer of Hopes
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:57 AM   #1084
sunny
Registered

Originally posted by cincy-gal
watch it as I actually get work done!
i suggest you should do this:
try run it in window mode and make sure tick on "always on top checkbox..."
so you are actually viewing the ss and in the same time doing your work...

.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>°

°o°°Oo°oO°
><(((°>° °<°)))><
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:14 AM   #1085
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by cincy-gal
maybe if I place this idea in various threads it'll get seen

virtual marine aquarium desktop or theme......that way I can have it as my screen saver and desktop and watch it as I actually get work done!
Post where you like. It won't be supported on this forum.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 05-25-2004, 09:59 AM   #1086
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Y’all remember when I had a wallpaper which I found online of Jim’s Marine Aquarium and I posted it on the forum, then I learned what you are now discovering, when I knew that this was very offensive to the artist I immediately did away with it, I deleted it from my computer and never used anything like it since. I won’t even do it with the other Screen Savers found here. When I run Jim’s SS, I generally have a wallpaper of the ocean. My point is this, he has worked very, very, hard on this project, it is his baby, and like all parents he is extremely protected of it. From what I have read about him, he is a self taught artist with a spot of genius, an artist of great talent and dedication to his work. A perfectionist by all accounts of the word, and we as customers benefit significantly from this, we end up with the most realistic Marine Aquarium that can be found on the web. And I know when we do get the creature pack; it is going to blow the competition away. You will not be able to believe your eyes, which you barely can now. So we need to back off from using his work in such a manner of which he disapproves.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:20 AM   #1087
cjmaddy
Registered

So you think that Jim's aquarium's not bad then Marian? .....
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:25 AM   #1088
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Old 05-25-2004, 01:47 PM   #1089
klyntun

Ditto! (What Marian said).
Old 05-26-2004, 02:17 AM   #1090
nick c
Registered

Yeah, you can get a program for Macs that let you easily run any ss as your desktop. Since Jim dissaproves I don't run MA as my desktop any more.
Sorry Jim.

Incidentally, since my last post with the alternative spelling for fish as "phot" I have learned that the playwright George Bernard Shaw invented the non-word "ghoti" to show how silly the english language is . The "gh" sound from "rough", the "o" sound from "women", and the "ti" sound from "motion" and you end up with "fish".
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:58 AM   #1091
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by nick c
Incidentally, since my last post with the alternative spelling for fish as "phot" I have learned that the playwright George Bernard Shaw invented the non-word "ghoti" to show how silly the english language is . The "gh" sound from "rough", the "o" sound from "women", and the "ti" sound from "motion" and you end up with "fish".
Amazing. Truly amazing!

/Tiny Goethe
Old 06-21-2004, 07:14 AM   #1092
KeyOh
Registered

Smile

I have a couple of suggestions:
* You should be able to edit the aquarium
- insert logs, stones, even small "sunken" ships, and of course plants

* The dept of the aquarium should be more visible
- Fish swimming straight against the screen

* Fish should move at different speeds
- In real life, a fish will accelerate fast to high speed, if it gets freighted, would be a nice touch

* Easter Eggs
- Examples of Easter eggs:
Fish mating
The mother gives birth to many small fish, which the larger fish chase and eat up. Happened in my aquarium, very funny. =)
Fish fighting
I happens in the real world to
Fish eating
You should be able to feed your fish
**** CENSORED ****
No further comments
Special fish behavior
Some fish species stand still with their head downwards. Adding fish with od behavior would be fun.
Fish looking through the glass
Sometimes in real aquariums fish stops in front of the glass, and it looks like their looking at you
Litter
The aquarium should get dirty. Green alge growing, snails.
Easter Eggs would be very cool for the screensaver

* You should be able to chose between different backgrounds, or insert your own background, to the aquarium.

* New water effects
Have you ever seen "Finding Nemo"? Remember the effects used in the water to make it look more real? Small dots floating around in the water, it looks great.

* New fishes
http://www.akvarius.no/text.cfm?id=1193
down now the name of theese fishes but they clean up in the aquarium, would be greatfun for the screensaver.

These are just sugestions, thanks for a great screensaver

Last edited by feldon34; 06-21-2004 at 09:18 AM.
KeyOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 07:39 AM   #1093
cjmaddy
Registered

Don't read the above post Jim! .......... Just pretend it's not there! ........ Think of your blood pressure!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 07:53 AM   #1094
Marian Nichols
~Author~

AGREE
Old 06-21-2004, 07:56 AM   #1095
drfish
the Doc

I think new members should be forced to read the FAQ before posting...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:00 AM   #1096
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Hi KeyOh, and welcome to the forum!

Editing the aquarium won't be possible due to too much work needed to make everything fit together. Also Jim (who wrote the program), says the plastic toys will apear in the freshwater aquarium, but not likely in the marine one.

After the completion of the Freshwater Aquarium, Jim will resume work on the true 3D background of the marine aquarium. When it is completed, collision detection will be much easier to control which will allow for more freedom when it comes to swimming. Different swimming speed and techniques will be implemented eventually.

Fish mating sounds a bit intricate. The only approach that would satify Jim would be a realistic one. Sounds a bit complex if you ask me.

Fish eating their young might be fun at www.reallydangerpets.com but not really fitting for serenescreen.com, wouldn't you agree?

Fish fighting doesn't sound serene either.

Fish feeding has gotten a thumbs up. – But after the freshwater tank and the 3D background.

I'm not really interested in seeing fish excrement enough to second your wish for it. Sorry.

Individual behaviour has a green light – it will come along with the swimming speed issue above.

Looking through the glass? You mean instead of closing their eyes as they do right now?

Why would you want dirt/algae?

Inserting your own background won't happen. press "w" and notice how the current 2D background is intricately matched to all those white lines allowing the fish to swim behind as well as in front of the coral? How would you fix that on a custom background? Also the static 2D background will be replaced with a true 3D one which makes the point moot.

Water effects. I agree. And some modern light effects would be cool as well.

That fish wouldn't fit very well with the marine tank as it is a freshwater species. It is being considered for the freshwater tank though. After the 3D background, Jim has said he will create a few creature packs with some special creatures sold separately. Among those will most certainly be a banded coral shrimp which might be the closest thing you'll get to a "tank cleaner".

/Tiny List
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:19 AM   #1097
feldon34
Forum Administrator

What is with people wanting to see fish defecate?

Maybe they have some psychological problem that should be investigated?

You will never see junk like logs, stones, small "sunken" ships. Also, this is a saltwater aquarium, so plants would be inappropriate.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:34 AM   #1098
drfish
the Doc

Maybe they have some psychological problem that should be investigated?
Heh...

BTW, 5000+ posts for you, yeah! Job well done on this place man! Three cheers... errr, thumbs!
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:53 AM   #1099
Marian Nichols
~Author~

5000, WOW! plus 8 and counting, I have about 3500 to go to match you now, of course there's be no catching up.

I care for a real aquarium as a few others here do also, and if I did not have to deal with the byproducts of living I wouldn't. So no I do not wish it in the Aquarium, not even feeding them.

I had to to that with Mopy Fish and the spiders, I of course forgot at times and they kept dying on me. That was no fun.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:06 PM   #1100
grape_jellyfish
Registered

Well in this case feeding them would just be an option, I know that they have virtual aquariums that you can feed the fish and if you dont they die but this will not be the case here, Jim has already said that.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
grape_jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows