Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows
Notices

Old 09-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
r1wigs
Banned

Horizontal Bars?

I've been using this screensaver for about a week and have really enjoyed it. But last night I walked into the computer room to show it to some friends and I was shocked to see it was now has very distinct horizontal bars all the way through it. Very noticeable, my eye caught it as soon as I entered the room. I know it wasn't there before. I have tried changing settings, fish, backrounds but they remain. 16bit to 32 bit. I tried some of my other screensavers and the bars are not there. I even messed with the controls for the monitor but nothing changes. If I can't get rid of the bars, I guess I just wasted 19 bucks. Any suggestions?
r1wigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I haven't heard of that one before, but we'll get it figured out. Eric is on the forum right now and maybe he will have a ready answer. But to start with, what operating system, video card, and drivers are you running? Next can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing?
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:52 AM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I think you want to update/replace your video drivers.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
r1wigs
Banned

I did some screenshots of the screensaver but can't figure out how to post them. In doing the screenshots I realized that the horizontal bars are only in the backround, not in the fish, rocks, plants or gravel. I still have the demo Serenescreen Marine screensaver on my computer and it works just fine. I also have another (demo) marine one from another company and it also work just fine, no bars. My only option is to uncheck automatic lights and set the backround to black, then you can't see the horizontal bars. I am thinking of getting a new video card, but don't know which to choose.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
edaniels
Goldfish Aquarium Developer

Very interesting, r1wigs! I don't recall ever hearing (or seeing) a problem quite like that one. Sounds like something Edgar (programmer extraordinaire) might need to dig into. Could you tell us, as Feldon suggested, the specifics of your hardware? And if you could post the screenshot, that would be even better. (Feldon, could you explain how to do that?)
----------------------------------
E R I C D A N I E L S, a n i m a t o r
Goldfish Aquarium Screensaver
edaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
edaniels
Goldfish Aquarium Developer

Sorry, it was Jav who requested the technical info, not Feldon.
E R I C D A N I E L S, a n i m a t o r
Goldfish Aquarium Screensaver
edaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #7
cjmaddy
Registered

That sounds like banding. Try changing to 32bit, or turn off anti-aliasing, (if on).
Or you may have to go to a better video card, and/or latest drivers.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by r1wigs:
I did some screenshots of the screensaver but can't figure out how to post them.  
Click "Go Advanced" or click "Quote" to open the more advanced editing window. You should be able to scroll down past Post Icons and past Miscellaneous Options down to Attach Files. Click "Manage Attachments".
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 09-28-2006, 05:33 AM   #9
r1wigs
Banned

Pictures

You can't see the bars very well on the first screenshot, but I enlarged it and you can see it better. It is much more noticable setting in front of the monitor.
Attached Images
File Type: png goldfish.png (83.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: png eng.PNG (33.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 09-28-2006, 05:49 AM   #10
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Lighten the background some, and paste the whole screenshot. If its to large and you have nothing to reduce the size, then email it to me and I will take care of posting it for you. Those are difficult for me to see.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:54 AM   #11
r1wigs
Banned

?

When you click on the pictures I attached, they open up large, you can't see it ??
Old 09-28-2006, 06:30 AM   #12
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Yes, I know how the attachments work, but thanks anyway. What I would like to see is lighter and larger please.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:05 AM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

Looks like simple 16-bit banding to me. Switch to 32-bit. MA and Goldfish don't use each other's settings, so it's entirely possible for one to be set to 16-bit and the other to 32-bit.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #14
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

In the first post he said he already tried switching from 16 to 32 bit. Thats why I wanted to see a larger shot with a lighter BG to see how it covers the whole thing. Hopefully we will get a shot.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #15
cjmaddy
Registered

Yes, I think that's the banding, that was referred to in the link I gave earlier. It was also a problem to a few of us some years ago on MA. - Below is a screen shot. I think it was a product of a number of things, which got resolved with better and newer video cards and drivers, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg banding1.jpg (170.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #16
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

If it covers the whole thing then I will guess that it is banding and if he has actually already tried switching, then he probably needs better drivers and/or a better video card. What gets me is he says he ran it for a week without seeing any sign of this in the beginning. That could be attributed to bad drivers, mem leaks, and an overloaded system if he hasn't rebooted before seeing this. Depends on the system setup.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:58 AM   #17
feldon34
Forum Administrator

IF you look at the top, it says that it's running in 16bit. 1024 x 768 x 16.

But even on 16bit, I do not get that banding. I think you should upgrade your video drivers, ignoring the drivers offered by Windows Update.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:27 AM   #18
cjmaddy
Registered

Morgan. Who are you referring to?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #19
Jim Sachs
Developer

Jav - When he said that he had tried switching from 16 to 32-bit, it's possible that he did this in Display Preferences. The setting in MA or Goldfish Settings will override this.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:06 AM   #20
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Well duh, thanks Jim. I didn't think of that, and I should have asked. It seems my brain is the only thing that still gets vacations sometimes.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows