Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-30-2002, 08:12 AM   #21
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

We don't need a poll for that, Morgan and I usually try and do everything we can to preserve posts made here, but we also need to follow the guidelines set by Jim. This just happens to be something that will not be officially supported on this forum, hopefully people can understand that, and let it go. Future problems with this topic will probably have to be deleted at the time.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 08:16 AM   #22
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

May I suggest not. Even if the poll shows interest in it, Jim's not interested in making it and have never promised to implement such a feature.

Edit:Dang! Too slow on the keyboard again...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.

Last edited by Tiny Turtle; 04-30-2002 at 08:32 AM.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:02 AM   #23
Jim Sachs
Developer

Quite a few postings here since I last connected. Just to clarify my position:

Though I am opposed to using the Aquarium as wallpaper, I have never tried to stop anyone from doing so (even Darrell, if you will all remember). I just expressed my opinion that the result was ugly. I certainly won't be spending any of my own remaining minutes on Earth helping anyone do it.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 05-01-2002 at 09:54 PM.
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 07:01 AM   #24
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

OK, Backstory Time

Jim and Morgan are refering to someone that was a member here for about 2-3 weeks tops. He came in and started trying to make an active desktop out of Jim's screen saver. He worked on it for only a few days and posted his results to the forum. Several people tried it and it was very unstable and needed lots more work. Most of the people who tried it reported that either: A) it wouldn't load or run; B) that it caused system lockups and crashes. At that time Jim said that it was hideous, and several people started choosing sides. Some told Darrell to leave it alone and stop, and others said to keep going and fix the problems. We had some small arguments at the time over it. Ultimately, Darrell's deceision was to quit working on it, and he asked Morgan and I to remove all references to his work and what he had done and he left the forum at that time.

Basically that was why I stated that I had never seen a working version of what has been requested here, it had to many problems associated with it for me to endorse, and in addition we were asked to delete it so no one would have access to it.

My personal opinion ( which is worth all of maybe .02 ) is that I don't understand why someone would want something like this. What kind of app's are you working on that don't take up any desktop space so that you can see the aquarium? I usually have several things open at once and can't see my desktop when I am working anyway, when I have some spare space left over I run in windowed mode, resized and "Always on top". Thats what Jim included those options for. That way I can actually see it, and if I'm not there then that is what a screen saver is for. Oh well, maybe I am missing the point somewhere, but Jim has made his thought's fairly clear.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 03:03 PM   #25
hpman77
Blue Angel

hmmm.... well, I must say I use a "desktop enhancer" called DreamRender (www.dreamrender.com) that shows nice effects (ripples, tunnels and many others in 3d) as desktop backgrounds, and it's neat as it can even make the windows backgrounds half-transparent so you can see the background effect too. It's hard to describe, but looks nice. That about the can't-see-the-wallpaper, but as curiosity only

I would also like to have it as background, but we all must admit that it's Jim's work, and he has the rights to do something or not. If you contact a screensaver programmer and they want to tweak the programs a bit to show it as wallpaper, goot to you, but that's very different than demand somebody to spend his time just to make something you want.

As I said, I would like to see it as wallpaper, but I love it the way it is too, and I'll be happy with that. Why don't go to Quantum Flux, as I bought his Virtual intelligence matrix screensaver, and ask them to add better ground textures, shadows on the ground, lens flare and another thousand things? because when somebody makes a program, even if you buy it, it doesn't give you any rights about the future development of it. point. no more to say.

And BTW, I think Jim's point of view about Mona Lisa was like somebody going there with some crayons and deciding he can do it better and drawing on it.

It's my opinion, only my opinion and nobody else's, but I wanted to share it and that's what forums are for, sharing opinions, suggesting features, point bugs, and not for demanding anything we want as if we were the leaders of the development team (which, BTW, in this case is only Jim)
.:: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ :: 512MB SDRAM :: Windows XP SP1 :: shappire ATI radeon 9600 PRO :: Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 :: Directx 9.0 :: (Always latest drivers for everything) ::.
hpman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:08 PM   #26
Marian Nichols
~Author~

I found this thread by accident and thought how interesting it was. I bought the animated wallpaper from Elefun as you know, it is of autumn and it is beautiful and I love to watch it, BUT you or I can’t do anything else with it running. It has to be turned off as well as the desktop manager plus you can’t see your desktop with open applications and it is eating up memory in the background. Makes you wonder why anyone, myself included, would want this on their machines. There are not too many times that I sit down here just to watch wallpaper move. For those of you in the real world who use your computers for actual work, a program like this probably would be a nuisance.

I thought it strange that someone tried to do this with the Aquarium, I am glad it didn’t work. Is it legal to take someone’s else work and do what he tried to do with it? I guess this has open old wounds, as if we need more, .
so no need to reply unless you just want to comment as I did
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive