Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-05-2005, 04:23 PM   #141
Jim Sachs
Developer

Can't get the new motherboard to work at all. The CPU fan comes on, but the hard drives won't spin up and there's no sign of life from the monitor.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:34 PM   #142
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Jim, I found this site it might be able to help you if no one on the forum here can.

http://pctech-support.com/phpbb/index.php
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:13 PM   #143
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks, but no help there.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-05-2005, 11:34 PM   #144
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Are you sure the CPU did not get damaged?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:36 AM   #145
Jim Sachs
Developer

Doesn't matter whether I use the new CPU or the old one (or none at all). The system fans and the "On" LED are the only things which show any signs of life.

Can't afford to waste any more time on it. I'll just have to write off the whole system and get another tomorrow. I've only got a few days to get these new fish done and off to Prolific.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-06-2005, 12:51 AM   #146
Socrates
Sage

If the CPU is bad, there should be some kind of a post code from the board - that board I think has those voice post codes right? Do those come out of the internal speaker or do you have to plug in external speakers?

Anyway, try pulling out everything. Disconnect CPU, Memory, HArd Drives, everything (except speaker(s)). Then power the board with nothing and go through the post codes. If you get no post codes with everything disconnected and pulled out, the board has a problem of some kind. Otherwise, if you do get a post code - the first one should be no CPU - then add devices back in one at a time in the order that the board checks devices - the post codes will tell you which device is missing as it gets to it - and see where it hangs. That is the easiest way to find out which device is preventing proper boot up.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:01 AM   #147
drfish
the Doc

I'd check to make sure the RAM is seated properly and then make sure none of the IDE cables got turned around the wrong way (especially on they optical drive[s])... If you're using older cables that aren't keyed and you put them in wrong you will have the exact symptoms you are describing...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:57 AM   #148
Jim Sachs
Developer

No voice, just a little flickering from the green LED on the board.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-06-2005, 07:55 PM   #149
Jim Sachs
Developer

I ended up getting an HP m1264n at CompUSA for $850. A 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4, 1 GIG super fast RAM, 200 GIG HD, 16x DVD drive, 16x Double-layer Lightscribe DVD-writer (also inscribes labels), reads all memory cards, firewire, FM tuner, Personal Video Recorder (like TiVo), remote control, and a bunch of other stuff.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-06-2005, 08:00 PM   #150
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

So how much do you want for the Asus nForce board? Yeah, it sounds like a Media PC. Do you know which PVR board you got. Elena's doesn't "seek out and record" the things she likes. It's just a DVR with pause, ff, rew.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:28 PM   #151
Jim Sachs
Developer

You want the fried board? It's yours. I can toss it off the Rim Highway. It should sail like a Frisbee down to Riverside.

The LightScribe drive on this new HP is really pretty neat. It can store up to 8.5 gigs on a double-layer DVD+R disc. It will burn gray-scale images into Lightscribe discs (they are working on color disks). You burn the data, flip the disk over, and burn the label. If you are burning from ITunes, the system will automatically set itself up to burn the playlist names on the label. If you want to add more songs to the Lightscribe CD later, you can also add them to the label. All the new HP machines I saw today had these drives.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-06-2005, 09:42 PM   #152
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

hehe. Actually, I was talking about the new one. Is that one fried too? Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a Lightscribe drive. How much are the discs? That's cool about the playlist, too bad iTunes sounds like a cassete tape. I'm still don't weary of HP's quality, but it's probably working better than your old computer.
Frank
Old 09-06-2005, 10:04 PM   #153
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, it's the new board I've been talking about - DOA, just a little flickering from the green LED on the board.

I am now speaking to you from the new HP machine. Setting it up and getting on the Internet was a breeze - there really is something to be said for these out-of-the-box solutions versus homebrew. The only driver it asked for was the one for the Westell DSL modem, but I couldn't find the disk. It didn't even seem to care - just went ahead and connected anyway. Hey, this new keyboard feels great!
Jim Sachs
Old 09-06-2005, 10:15 PM   #154
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

I still like building my own computers. When buying all of the software, it ends up costing more than an out-of-the-box solution.
Frank
Old 09-07-2005, 04:23 AM   #155
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Lightscribe discs is the bomb! I sure love mine.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 02:58 PM   #156
Jim Sachs
Developer

The new computer is running fine, now begins the tedious job of trying to get back to the point I was at before all this happened. When the old motherboard went, it took down both the C: drive and the backup drive. I've connected the old C: drive to the new computer through a USB external drive box. Windows just says the drive is corrupt and won't read it at all, but I bought a shareware utility (FileScavenger) which can read and has recovered many of the files. Most of the fish models seem to be intact. I got Lightwave up and running, but of course it can't find any of the pieces required to build a fish because everything is in new locations. It also won't load picture files for some reason (needed for textures).

Things are looking grim for getting these two new fish out before we take our daughter to Chicago to start college next week.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-15-2005, 11:31 AM   #157
Yodelking
yodeler

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Doc - the Bangai Cardinal has a shape that's really quite different from my tradional fish model. While I'm not totally ruling it out, it would be much harder to implement.

Minn - a cuttle fish is a mollusc, and would be extremely hard to create. It'll have to wait for the Creature Packs.  
Jim, I've seen the Bangai Cardinal and Cuttle fish now, so you may add them.
Also you can add a pair of Manadine goby's mating, if you want.. saw that too..
Funny how cuttle fish change colors to imitate other animals. One of them change the colors to look what I thought looked like the shell of a turtle, and another one changed colors to look like a blue spotted stingray.
Yodelking - För god att kolsyra!
Yodelking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:11 AM   #158
Jim Sachs
Developer

I'm back from taking my daughter to Chicago to start college, and am working on the Achilles Tang.

Has anyone here ever seen a live example of this fish? I've found about a dozen pics, but the color of the body is so different from one pic to the next that I really can't differentiate the real color from lighting artifacts. Is this fish black, gray, blue, purple or brown?
Jim Sachs
Old 09-20-2005, 01:42 PM   #159
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Seems to me like it's sometimes brown and sometimes purple. At least according to this motley collection.

/Tiny Variation
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:46 PM   #160
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yep - been there, done that. I was hoping that someone here had actually seen one.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive