Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 07-22-2002, 12:42 AM   #1
Unregistered

Exclamation Jellyfish Tank

First off, I wanted to comment that this is truly an impressive application that deserves more than a 'screensaver' classification. With the quality of graphics and simulated life (not to mention the nature preservation and wildlife ethics behind the branding), I'm actually surprised this app didn't start out on the Mac in the first place :-) I'm so impressed by this program, that I plan to pick up several Mac and PC versions for Xmas gifts (hint to offer Holiday quantity discounts)...

Now from your site I was pleased to discover that jellyfish are slated for a "future version", but if there's anything that can be done to accelerate that, I truly believe it will be worthwhile to you. I think that there's a signficantly large 'audience' of users out there who have an almost religious fascination with jellyfish in particular. I'm one who is mesmorized by bioluminescent (sp?) ones and can watch them for hours at the public aquarium... Now THAT would be awesome... a simulated deep sea tank with a group (or customizable variety) of bioluminescing jellyfish that glow, flicker and undulate!

Personally, I would be willing to pay extra for a jellyfish version as a separate application altogether, or even at ten bucks higher than the current shipping PC fish tank version. Not to sound arrogant, but a recent industry market study did show Mac users to be more creative, better educated, have higher incomes, and are willing to pay more for a higher overall quality standard... Just some things to think about as you poll around and analyze the market for jellyfish-lovers. ;-)

Hope this is somewhat persuasive to higher more programmers. =)

EL
Old 07-22-2002, 07:22 AM   #2
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Hi EL, and welcome to the forum!

Nice to see there are more people thinking of the holliday version – there surely were some thinking along the same lines around the last time that dude in red came for a visit...

The special/peculiar/whatever thing about this SS project is that it's a one-man-accomplishment. Jim, likes to do everything himself to make sure it comes out exactly the way he planned it, and therefore it's not very likely that he will add more manpower to the development process.

As for the Jellyfish – I agree that those'd be cool along with a lot of other animals. For the PC (and the Mac since it's peretty much a ported version) there will be one or two "Creature packs" (with ~7 creatures each) which will be available add an additional cost. Jim will put these together after finishing the Freshwater Aquarium and the full 3D background for the regular Aquarium.

/Tiny Jellyfish
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 09:01 AM   #3
Jim Sachs
Developer

I've always planned to add jellyfish, but came upon a major stumbling block when I went to the Long Beach Aquarium to study them in detail. The problem is that they can swim upside down, and spend about half their time doing so. There are many visual tricks at work in the program which are needed to give the illusion of reality, and one of them requires that no object rotates more than about 20 degrees on the Z-axis.

Eventually I'll solve this, but can't spare the time right now.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 10:02 PM   #4
Unregistered

Appreciate the replies and can understand technical challenges and the auteur programming mentality... usually the sign of perfection--or obsessive compulsive behaviour ;-)

I'll keep a lookout for the JF version. Just know that I think... or predict that a JF version will be that 'killer app' for you. Particularly since no one else has done anything like that before. When it comes out, I'm sure you'll pull it off in spades!

EL
Old 07-25-2002, 04:59 PM   #5
mrtew
Registered

Jim, we are all waiting for something new! We understand that we can't hurry you, but can you tell us how it's going? What is done and what is left to do on your projects? How many fresh fish are done? Have you done the background? Have you started on the 3-D salt background? Have you done anything with the Gobi or the creatures yet? PLEASE tell me you are working on the Gobi! I think when you get it done I am going to have 7 of them in one tank! What's the news?
mrtew
mrtew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 05:03 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

mrtew,

Why don't you drop by the chat tomorrow night and ask those questions?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 05:35 PM   #7
mrtew
Registered

Smile

I think I will, unless I get some good answers here before then! And they better be GOOD! :-]
mrtew
Old 07-26-2002, 06:25 PM   #8
mrtew
Registered

Big Grin

I don't think I can chat with Jim... my computer won't connect... and now the banner is even gone. Did it not work or is it me?
mrtew
Old 07-26-2002, 06:27 PM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Just go to https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/...chatguest.html

Or if you have ircle, connect to:
backpack.webmaster.com
#sachs
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 06:34 PM   #10
mrtew
Registered

I can't get it to connect with Netscape or Explorer in OSX or Netscape in OS9. It just sits there and says connecting to server......
mrtew
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive