Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 12-03-2004, 07:52 AM   #121
jleslie
Engineer

It's a pity there isn't a measure of "habitable" land, as I suspect the Netherlands would mostly qualify, whereas we have much more in the way of mountains, so our population density is probably closer to their's than the statistics suggest, we just get more "scenery" to visit.
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:17 AM   #122
Jim Sachs
Developer

A couple of years ago, I took a bus tour of England, and didn't really have the impression of overcrowding. Scotland, the Lakes Country, Wales - there always seemed to be miles of beautiful pastoral scenerey.

The trouble with population control is that it's always the wrong part of the population that gets controlled. The intelligent, thoughtful, socially-responsible people are limiting their families to 1 or 2 children, while the blockheads who never got the word still have 10. These children will be raised by blockheads to become blockheads themselves. Germany, France, and (just recently) Italy are all concerned about dwindling birthrates. China's big problem is that they have successfully limited the number of children per family, but everyone wants male children, leading to a situation where a whole generation will have a slim chance of finding wives.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:49 PM   #123
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

hmmmm... let me think here.... did he just call me or my family a bunch of blockheads .... or something inbetween? ..... hmmmm... well, whatever. It's a good thing I don't have a short temper or raw sensitive nerves right now.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:57 PM   #124
Jim Sachs
Developer

Minn - If you come from a large family of enlightened people, I salute you. You've done your bit for our side

There are no blockheads on the Forum, since to participate you'd have to be able to read (and type, sort of).
Jim Sachs
Old 12-03-2004, 05:09 PM   #125
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Well that leaves me out.

Cause I can only sort of read, sort of write and sort of type.

(joking)
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:28 PM   #126
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Sometimes it's Jim's turn to say the things that many of us feel but don't have the chutzpah to say.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:22 PM   #127
Jim Sachs
Developer

Sorry for the rant, but it's a pet peeve of mine - blockheads causing the end of civilization. My wife is a Labor & Delivery nurse at a County hospital and nearly every one of her patients is a gang-member's girlfiend. 19 years old, third baby. On welfare, of course, so I'm paying to bring a new blockhead into the world and raise it until it becomes a fully-functioning gang member. When the blockheads only constituted 10% of the population, life was still livable for the rest of us. When they reach 90%, nobody's going to be having any fun.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-04-2004, 03:22 AM   #128
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

And then the blockheads grow up and become gang members or worse, politicians!
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:29 AM   #129
jleslie
Engineer

Um, okay - but on the subject of an aquarium with a 3D background, moving plants and fish that move in groups can I just say I like the aquarium in my new apartment. (That's in the computer game Vampire: Bloodlines when you get a downtown apartment.) Not quite MA but I'm impressed the game programmers put in the effort. (The game is in the "holding my interest" but not "captivating me" category so far.)
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:47 AM   #130
fishbowl
Cramped Quarters

The game "Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines" uses Valve's Source engine, the same engine behind Half-Life 2.
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:32 AM   #131
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
Minn - If you come from a large family of enlightened people, I salute you. You've done your bit for our side
Alas, as much as it might brighten my ego to be considered one of the enlightened ones, afraid I cannot accept that title. I still put foot in mouth, judge my fellow beings, and feel superior/inferior to others. Afraid I'm still very much a WIP (work-in-process). I did enjoy bathing in the light for a little bit before responding.
Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:48 AM   #132
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Welcome to the human race.

Living in a section of the country where what Jim speaks of is all too prevalent I am inclined to ponder on the solution, and I see none. None as long as we accept this type of behavior without enforcing responsibility and how do we go about that. And I say no more.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:59 AM   #133
Jim Sachs
Developer

Minn - if you wonder if you are enlightened, then you are. The idea would never cross the "mind" of a blockhead.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-06-2004, 02:18 AM   #134
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Marian,
Loved your "only sort of..." post. Made my morning.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive