Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-25-2002, 11:08 AM   #41
camorgan
Aquaman Dance Party

I use:

1 lionfish
1 percula
1 royal tang
1 powder blue tang
and the rest in random

btw: I also love the new bluer background... looks great.
c a m o r g a n
www.outpost31.com
camorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 12:57 PM   #42
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The easiest I can think of would be a web form with the 21 fish listed and a ranking from 1 to 10 on the right with a strong note asking people not to give half the fish a 10!

<a href="../Sachs/ranking.html">Here's a little prototype I whipped up.</a>
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 01:10 PM   #43
Jim Sachs
Developer

Holy cow Morgan -- That's beautiful. Pictures and everything.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 04:45 PM   #44
Lightfeather

Should we use it or is it just a proto type?
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Lightfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 06:33 PM   #45
Starfire
Registered

Jim, I think the Percula is "pecularly" (groan) popular because it just looks different.

For example, not many people would have the Addis and the Yellow Tang in the aquarium at the same time, as they both look rather similar. A contrast of colour looks so much better and at the moment, there's no other fish in in aquarium that orange. I think this is also the reason why the Flame Angel is so popular as well.

The Clown Trigger and Lionfish, in position 3 and 4, are both very unique fish as well.
Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 07:00 PM   #46
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It's all connected and I'm getting the e-mails. I haven't written a program to parse through the data that I'm getting though. I guess I could make it official. The question is how do I get people to vote? I guess I could make a popup on my page with a message "Wait! This isn't a pop-up!"

Now the question is, are we voting for fun? Jim, you're scaring me with what you said... Are you considering removing a couple because of disk space?

Also, I'd be inclined to attach another poll to this asking which creatures/fish people want first.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 02-25-2002, 07:38 PM   #47
EVERRET
Leopard Shark

10 Highscores

Thumbs Down Fish polls

Maybe we could rate all the fish on the wishlist from 1-10? Or at least the ones that are being considered for release later.
EVERRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 07:47 PM   #48
Jim Sachs
Developer

Morgan - Sure, I'd consider removing a couple if nobody's using them. The fish guide on the back of the CD case is completely full, and the Lionfish isn't even there yet.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 09:21 PM   #49
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Looks great Morgan, a little confusing though...

"from 1 (Least attractive) to 1 (Most attractive)"
Shouldn't that be from 1 to 10?

Also, where is "1"? On the left side or the right? Maybe have corresponding numbers over each collumn.

And after I clicked "send," I got a "page cannot be found" message. It would be awesome if it could go to a "live results" page.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:31 PM   #50
Samw
Registered

My 7 fishes would be:

2 perculas
1 yellow tang
1 blue regal tang
1 flame angel
1 powder blue tang
1 purple tang or copperband butterfly or small red volitan lionfish

The reason that I wouldn't put any triggers and most butterflies is because they don't really belong in a reef tank and would in real life eat the clams and corals. (Not good reasons in a virtual reef I guess). Also, all of those fishes that I listed are in my real reef tank at home, except for those on the last 2 lines.

Last edited by Samw; 02-25-2002 at 10:45 PM.
Samw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 12:29 AM   #51
feldon34
Forum Administrator

"from 1 (Least attractive) to 1 (Most attractive)"
Shouldn't that be from 1 to 10?

Also, where is "1"? On the left side or the right? Maybe have corresponding numbers over each collumn.

And after I clicked "send," I got a "page cannot be found" message. It would be awesome if it could go to a "live results" page.
Again, it's a prototype. I need to put at the top "Worst" and then a spacer graphic and then "Best".

And the page not found is because I haven't put up a page yet.

As for live results, to quote Jim, tell me what button to push here to make it do live poll results and I'll do it.

For now, I figure the results will be updated every day or two manually by me. (I'm going to write a program that parses the Eudora e-mails I'm getting).
Old 02-26-2002, 07:18 AM   #52
pipeta
Royal Gramma

Big Grin

Jim, I love all the fish! I like some more than others but I truely think there is absolutely no reason to remove a fish. I set all my slots to 'random' and I want to have as many different fish as possible. I don't think the space on the back of the CD case is a good reason to remove any fish from the aquarium.
Obviously some people used the Threadfin Butterflyfish and the Three Stripe Damselfish in their tanks because each of them was selected by one person of a very small amount of people who already voted.
I liked the Queen Angel alot before you were forced to change the texture. If you can get another image similar to the first one then feel free to change the texture back to the way it looked before. I'm sure many people will use it then.
I hope other people agree with me.

Last edited by pipeta; 02-26-2002 at 07:29 AM.
pipeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 08:05 AM   #53
pipeta
Royal Gramma

Another idea:
If and when Prolific implements the settings pannel prototype we discussed a while ago then you can set the random fish to 'never', 'seldom', 'often' using the 'advanced' bar.
It will be possible to use this poll to see which fish are popular. Then in the downloaded version Jim can set the popular fish to often by default and the non-popular to 'seldom' or 'never' by default. That way popular fish will apear more often and there will be no need to remove them from the tank.
As I said, I really don't want to see fish suddenly disapearing from the tank. Besides, it's good to be able to say you have many fish on the site, it helps sales.
pipeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 10:31 AM   #54
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Yes, I like the 'old' texture of the queen angel too. First time I saw this was in the widescreen version. It would be nice to see this beautiful fish again in the aquarium. That means - add a fish Jim, not remove!
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 10:49 AM   #55
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

To make a long story short the current Queen Angel came out of a need to have everything in the tank completely copyrighted by Mr. Sachs. The first installment of it used a texture submitted by a fan (Ryan, where are you? ). In order to be perfectly in the clear when it came to copyright, Mr. Sachs decided to replace it with a texture of his own. I liked the first Queenie a lot, but I find it highly unlikely that we'll see it again. It's probably for the better in the long run too. We wouldn't want development on the SS to stop because of some stupid law suit (Yay, America! – sue anyone for anything).

/Tiny Ranting
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 10:50 AM   #56
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Yeah, Jim, you can't give us candy and then take it away.
Patrick
Old 02-26-2002, 10:53 AM   #57
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I thought this poll would be fun to see which fishes everyone likes, but if it's going to be used by Jim to decide which ones to delete, maybe we should rethink this.
Patrick
Old 02-26-2002, 11:10 AM   #58
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

So basically your saying Mr. Sachs should take a wild guess on what to delete.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:30 AM   #59
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I couldn't find a more accurate thread to pose my question, so this one will have to do (I hate starting new threads ).

If all the slots are set to random, what are the odds that I could get all the same fish? Of course, don't duplicate random choices would have to be unchecked.
Patrick

Last edited by patscarr; 03-04-2004 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:33 AM   #60
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Probably about the same as winning the lottery.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive