Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-16-2003, 02:13 PM   #21
Seafoam
The Fish Whisperer

Angry no big deal!

Yeah, the link between Moorish Idols and Islam is no big deal. You could certainly put one in the screensaver with no trouble. And Gill from "Finding Nemo" had scars, but he wasn't nasty. He actually SEEMED like a "bad guy" at first, but he really is a very good character.
  16 year old FISH FREAK!
My fishies: Renshaw, & Alan (the plecs), Debbie (the pictus catfish), Kirk/Desi/Electra/Irving/Peggy (the tetras), Melvin, & Penny! RIP Mercedes...2/27/01-2/18/04 ;_; And RIP Gunther...we miss u...
FINDING NEMO RULES! I <3 Bubbles, Gill, & Gurgle ^_^
www.lassenart.com
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 02:48 PM   #22
Jim Sachs
Developer

If there are any (moderate) Muslims out there, please speak up on this issue. I get the feeling that most of the people here don't quite understand the problem. It might be seen as a sign of disrespect, like some non-Christian group making a Jesus brand of breakfast cereal.

As for Disney's Gill -- How could they hate multibillion-dollar conglomerate headed by a Jewish man and bent on world domination?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 03:52 PM   #23
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Google searches simply do not back up the idea that Moorish Idols are significantly sacred that their inclusion in the Aquarium would cause a problem.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:58 PM   #24
Jim Sachs
Developer

I wouldn't really expect it to, since the Internet heavily favors groups which are technologically advanced enough to have computers. Islam considers this modernism to be evil.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-16-2003, 10:07 PM   #25
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I checked LudditeWorld.com too.

No animosity towards the idea of a Moorish Idol in the Aquarium there either.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 10:24 PM   #26
Panthera
Hygenius

Well, regardless, I'd still like to see in the aquarium.

(just my 2 little pennies)
Panthera Tigris Altaica
The largest living cat in the world, the Siberian Tiger possesses both
grace and beauty. Although it spends a lot of time hunting,
its reputation as a vicious killer is undeserved ....
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 11:55 PM   #27
Jim Sachs
Developer

Very funny, Morgan

99% sure it will be going in, Panthera.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-17-2003, 03:06 AM   #28
Panthera
Hygenius

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
99% sure it will be going in, Panthera.
Wonderful!
Panthera Tigris Altaica
The largest living cat in the world, the Siberian Tiger possesses both
grace and beauty. Although it spends a lot of time hunting,
its reputation as a vicious killer is undeserved ....
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 04:35 AM   #29
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Yep, sounds good to me.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:18 AM   #30
kona001
New Husband and new Aquarium

Jim,

If most extreme Muslim's who would consider having a computer as being against their God, then they would be going against their religion if they had a computer. They wouldn't get their 21 virgins if they downloaded the screensaver at all. If they did happen to see the Moorish Idol on their screen, they would think it were real. After some unsuccessful attempts trying to remove the sacred fish from the monitor casing, they would have a ceremony and release the computer with the screensaver running, back into the sea. LoL
"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail"-W2
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:41 AM   #31
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Hm, think of it this way:
You're the owner of a asian website dedicated to cooking and earn your revenue by selling recipes. As you are hellbent on not offending anyone (although most of your recipes are sold in Asia) you decide to not include recipes of how to cook dogs even-though it would be ok to most of your customer-base. Fair?

Imagine the Asian customer Ko-Nah Wan saying "If most extreme westerners who would consider eating anything at all against their God", then they would be going against their religion if they had a kitchen..." just because to him it was natural to eat dogs.

I have no problem with the inclusion of a Moorish Idol, nor do I believe any Muslims would, – especially as I belive Jim will do this animal full justice. Coarse jokes however – especially based on incorrect statements – on behalf of religious groups is not something that amuses me.

/Tiny Attempt At Allegory (And Also Alliteration Apparently )
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 10:35 AM   #32
cjmaddy
Registered

Do you not think we may be overstepping the line on this one! - Perhaps it would be prudent to remove your post Kona.

I'm with Tiny, .................. to each his own!

I hope this doesn't come across as too harsh, but I do think we should respect others, - even if at times, (some may think), that they may appear not to respect us.

I'm sure we can have the Moorish Idol, without offending others!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 09:30 PM   #33
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

i guess one could ask a local religious leader of islam
bob
handimannbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 10:30 PM   #34
Spliff
Registered

Islam considers this modernism to be evil.
Jim - I think that is quite offensive. I understand you don't know much about Islam but the little you know is obviously wrong. Please consider informing yourself before making such statements: it might be seen as a sign of disrespect.

About the fish: it's a fish - there is no sacred fish in Islam and it wouldn't offend any muslim.

Hope this helps,
Spliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 12:03 AM   #35
Louis
Registered

Jim is an ARTIST and ART is unlimited.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 01:19 AM   #36
Jim Sachs
Developer

Spliff - Are you a moderate Muslim? If so, I welcome your comments.

I have actually done quite a bit of reading on the subject, mostly such as this article from the New York Post: http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/op...nists/4879.htm

My hope is that this is an extremist view and not representative of the majority of Muslims.

As for disrespect, it should be obvious that I am going to great lengths not to.
Jim Sachs
Old 09-18-2003, 01:53 AM   #37
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

From Jim's link
Al-Ayyeri's analysis may sound naive; he also gets most of his facts wrong.
Um, this guy speaks of "democracy's seductive capabilities" and stuff like that. Evidently he's way off into his own little world somewhere and labeling him "Muslim" would be like speaking about the KKK and just call them Christians. Technically true – but pretty insulting to the rest of that group.

Louis,
I'm not saying Jim is insulting anyone, but labeling something "art" does not automatically make it untouchable.

/Tiny Pietism
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 08:49 AM   #38
Jim Sachs
Developer

TT - As I said, it is my fervent hope that this fellow doesn't speak for the majority. However, in the U.S. media we get very little evidence to the contrary.

Spliff - When doing the original research for the Aquarium, the first book I got was The Tetra Encyclopedia of The Marine Aquarium by Dick Mills. When flipping through it for the first time, I saw a picture of a Moorish Idol with this caption:

"The common name of the Moorish Idol is derived from the high esteem in which the fish is held by some Moslem populations. When caught by them it is returned to the water with some ceremony."

Are you saying that this statement has no basis in fact? (Like Tiny, I'm not using any sarcasm here -- I really want to know.)
Jim Sachs
Old 09-18-2003, 10:34 AM   #39
Louis
Registered

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle
I'm not saying Jim is insulting anyone, but labeling something "art" does not automatically make it untouchable.

/Tiny Pietism
If ART is limited then it will call commercial ART.

Besides, it's just a screensaver running in computers.

The fishes didn't change their nature. (No genetic modifications)
ie. We couldn't see a human head putting on a fish's body of SA.

The goal of SA simulates an aquarium as real as it could, and
Jim has done it well.

The first time when I saw SA running in a computer, I've got a
feeling of ART but you may call it electronic ART.
(remarks: it's not the name of a company)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 10:46 AM   #40
Spliff
Registered

TT - As I said, it is my fervent hope that this fellow doesn't speak for the majority. However, in the U.S. media we get very little evidence to the contrary.
He doesn't. By rejecting science and technological progress he goes against the teachings of the Qur'an. It's quite sad to see such distorted views so widely publicised. Please read this article:
http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...786006,00.html

"The common name of the Moorish Idol is derived from the high esteem in which the fish is held by some Moslem populations. When caught by them it is returned to the water with some ceremony."

Are you saying that this statement has no basis in fact?
Jim - I'm sure that statement has some factual basis. It probably refers to some pre-islamic tradition somewhere. It has nothing to do with religion - I dare to say that those same populations holding the Moorish Idol in such a high esteem would find it quite charming on their computer screen.
Spliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive