Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 04-29-2001, 10:50 PM   #201

Hopefully this one wasn't already mentioned

Just got an idea for a new great feature - overlay support. I got it after downloading the latest version of WinAMP (2.74) - the AVS vis library (which is included in WinAMP installation) has this feature and it makes it possible to render the effect directly on the windows desktop (and even antialiased in hardware) - You just have to set the color value (RGB) that will be replaced with the effect. Would it be possible to render the tank in the same way?
Old 04-30-2001, 12:12 AM   #202
Shinsa
Registered

Re: Hopefully this one wasn't already mentioned

HEY! I just downloaded that version today... What is this you are talking about??? Video overlaY?? I didn't see anything about it. Of course, I only listen to my legally ripped cd's with my winamp anyway
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 04-30-2001, 01:41 AM   #203
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: The Sachs Aquarium WISHLIST

Looks like someone has paid a visit to www.dinofish.com recently and here I thought I was the ONLY person at feldon.com that had an active interest in "living fossils" and who actually knows what they are. Well, it's nice to see other's expressing interest in this area of "paleo ichthyology" as I like to call it.

In fact, I've been working on a site dedicated to Living Fossils for a few years now (off and on). When I finish putting the final touches on it, I'll have to make sure that I post the URL here so you can check it out. It's been a long time in the making, but hopefully I'll have it completed and up some time later this year if everything works out. Unfortunately someone else beat me to the punch and nabbed www.livingfossils.com for their site which is actually based on fishing and makes little reference to actual living fossils. Oh well, guess I should pick up www.livingfossil.com while it's still available.

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 07:48 AM   #204
Coelacanth
Thought to be Extinct

I've used the name "Coelacanth" for quite some time now in various forums and in online gaming. A lot of people have no idea what it is; some gamers thought it was a name from a fantasy book or something.

I'm just a marine life nut, and coelacanths are one of the more interesting denizens.
Coelacanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 01:46 PM   #205
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

It's true, the Coelacanth is a rather "unique" fish, it was quite possibly the single most important scientific find of the last century.

What amazes me though is that the Ceolacanth, a fish which has had such wide spread public exposure through many forms of media (stamps, books, video games (Darius series), documentaries, art, news, etc.) still isn't known by the greater majority of the public.

A shame that it's virtually impossible to keep in a public aquarium, otherwise people might actually get a chance to experience it first hand. Unfortunately the poor fish just doesn't do well outside of the ocean depths it's accustomed to (hence the "Deep Release" kits that the Comoro fisherman use).

Digital Lungfish
a.k.a
Steven Patton (financial contributor to dinofish.com and the Comoro rescue efforts)
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Old 04-30-2001, 04:25 PM   #206
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Regal Tang remake

When the fishes get different behavioral patterns, will the Regal Tang start swimming in that special way it does which looks like it's flying using the pectoral fins as wings? (I can't really explain how it looks, but if you've seen one IRL, you know what I'm talking about.)

Also, If it's possible could it be even more intensely blue? - This has to be the "bluest" fish in the world and should be so in the SS as well.

/Tiny

"If someone says that they're a pathological liar, do you believe them?"
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 09:22 AM   #207

Just see the visual plug-in AVS and in the Display Settings check the "Overlay Mode" and "Set Desktop to color". You'll see what I mean.
Old 05-02-2001, 01:03 PM   #208
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Exactly how did this reply end up here?!
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 05-02-2001, 03:58 PM   #209

What's wrong with this reply?
Old 05-02-2001, 04:47 PM   #210
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Nothing's wrong with it. I just tried typing a reply with my head up my a** and not thinking att all (didn't work out that great..) Sorry 'bout it.

/Calle

Old 05-03-2001, 01:25 PM   #211
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Alternative background suggestion that would work

I've previously expressed my idea of having a sole lionfish hovering in a aquarium with a black backround.

Would it be possible to be able to turn off all the coral and rocks and just have an empty bottom?

To me it seems pretty simple to do. Nothing to add, just remove some stuff. Since there is no lionfish available yet(but I keep longing for one...), I'll have to settle for some other fish, but that might be fun as a variation on the regular background.

/Tiny

Old 05-07-2001, 03:46 AM   #212
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Hey Jim,

I know that we haven't brought up the idea of new lighting featrues in the aquarium for a while now, but I wanted to run this one by you. It's nothing all that exciting, but it might be worth considering.

- Random light/sun rays cast down through the water from the
surface, much like you would see in the ocean.

Although the effect we have in the aquarium at this time (texture moving across the surface of the corals and gravel) is definately exceptional, I think this kind of lighting would be a nice compliment to it. Especially if you were to make it so that this feature kicks in under low light settings only.

- DL
Steve
Old 05-07-2001, 10:33 AM   #213
Jim Sachs
Developer

You don't really see this in aquariums unless the water is VERY dirty. However, I do plan to eventally add the "lightplay" to the tops of the fish.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 06:40 PM   #214
Kirby Smith
Registered

more swimming fish

I didn't see this suggestion in 11 pages of wishes, which are incorporated herein by reference (just in case there is a vote in progress).

How about allowing more swimming fish from the existing set of fish types available. One might incremently advance the number until the frame rate began degrading significantly. (Assume a gigantic filter system.)

kirby
Kirby Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 06:44 PM   #215
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Yes you're right of course, I know it's not the sort of thing you see in a reef tank, I guess I was thinking bigger. Shame on me!

As for the light play on the tops of the fish, I'm sure that will look simply amazing when you finally put it in.
What about the snails, starfish, shrimp, etc? Will we also see this feature used on them?

- DL
Steve
Old 05-08-2001, 01:47 AM   #216
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: more swimming fish

"How about allowing more swimming fish from the existing set of fish types available. One might incremently advance the number until the frame rate began degrading significantly. (Assume a gigantic filter system.)"

We've actually discussed this in the past and according to Jim it's not something that he wants to do. As it is now, 7 fish is already quite a bit for an aquarium of this size and he wants to keep it as realistic as possible without pushing the boundaries to the point of exaggeration.

Eventually he's going to add other sea creatures (non-fish) to the aquarium, this should help to expand it's diversity. Things like snails, starfish, shrimp, octopus, and more.

- DL
Steve
Old 05-08-2001, 06:18 AM   #217
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Kirby,

When the background is changed to a "panning" situation, the tank will be considered larger and the ability to choose more fish is a possibility, but only a few more, definitely not unlimited additions. With some of todays cutting edge Video Cards, you could push it to the point of being totally unrealistic. One of Jim's main goals is to become and remain, as realistic as possible.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 11:17 PM   #218
Kirby Smith
Registered

OK, I surrender.

kirby
Kirby Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 11:44 PM   #219
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Hahaha, no we're not ganging up on you Kirby. If anything we just like to share information with one another and in those cases when someone asks a question that Jim has already answered many times before, we do what we can to help take the load off his hands. This way he can remain focured on his work (the screensaver).

If Jim has the time he'll answer, if not, then Morgan probably will, if he's too busy (lazy), then I'll probably jump in when I'm around, and so on and so on.

- DL
Steve
Old 05-10-2001, 11:04 AM   #220

Fish wishlist

I would like to place my vote for a lion fish, though it would no doubt be difficult to acheive with all those flowing fins.
A Majestic angel would also be good and I`m looking forward to the arrival of the banded shrimp.
If you ever have realistic anemones, then the clownfish could hang around it as in real life.
I`m also looking forward to being able to feed them.
I used to keep tropical marines but can`t now through lack of space (I live on a boat now) so this program is the closest I can get to my old hobby - Thanks
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows