Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-08-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
tweaker
Registered

New Feature: Dual Monitors as One Aquarium

I was testing out the trial version of SereneScreen when I contacted tech support about running on dual monitors. They showed me where on the 2nd monitor it was set to black (doh!).

I then asked them how do I make it where it uses both of my monitors as one aquarium? They hinted for me to join the mailing list and request it as a future possibility.

So I'm asking, how's about if you have multiple monitors you can stretch (not widescreen mind you) but make it where the fish will travel from one monitor to the other?
tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

So you're ok with the background repeating on the 2 screens (there isn't a 'dual width' background available), but you want one set of 10 fish to go between the screens?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

Some video cards with multiple output already supports the spanning of any screensaver. Note that MA has a limit of 1600 wide and 1600 tall. Also there will be black borders if you keep the aspect ratio correct.

Do you have a single video card with multiple output?
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
tweaker
Registered

Well the background would/could not repeat actually. It would be a different 'background' for a much wider viewing area. Like say, coral on one side and caves on another. Think like that.

As for my monitor setup, it's one card, two Dell 1901FP monitors. I'm already setup in spanning mode (where I can go from one monitor to the other). But if at 1600 x 1600 we could do say 1600 wide to whatever it would be tall (mathmatically) we'd be set! Course, that would be feldon30's point of the same background or a 'stretched' background.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
typhoon
Registered

I have my computer set to extend my desktop onto the second monitor and then if I change the monitor from 1 to 2 in the screensaver program it still shows on the first moinior.

Your way of showing on the second monitor relies on clone mode yes??

When you have clone they show the same thing when you have extneded desktop it should make one big one. I think that is what they mean.
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

Where do you get the caves?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:58 PM   #7
tweaker
Registered

The caves was just an example of something else that could be physically on the other screen. I don't think there is a 'cave' feature programmed.

All I was simply saying is it would be rather cool if I could utilize both monitors, not just at the same time in a mirror looking format. Have some elements on screen 1 and other elements on screen 2 and have the fish go litterally between the monitors.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:53 PM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

The existing background is a 2-dimensional image which took me just under a year to complete. I don't plan to do any more work on that version. The 3.0 version of the Aquarium will have a 3-dimensional background which is about as wide as two widescreen images. The user can either span this across two monitors, or pan the view on a single monitor.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-10-2006, 10:07 AM   #9
andr0id
Registered

My Fish are Sideways

I'm sure there is a lot of work involved in drawing backgrounds. But, mirroring is not a good method to support dual monitors. Many dual monitor users run mixed resolutions on each monitor. Mine is not an uncommon setup. As pivoting flat panel displays become more common, you will have to take dual monitor support to the next level. I bought the 2.6 upgrade to support your work. I hope you correct this defect in the future.
Andy

andr0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #10
Jim Sachs
Developer

With the wide 3D background in 3.0, whatever slice of the tank fits into your aspect ratio would show up on the monitor. Not sure how I would be able to tell if someone has rotated the monitor 90 degrees, though.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-11-2006, 02:46 PM   #11
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

You'd be able to tell as the pivot-function capable monitor itsef tells the system it's running rotated and at 1024x1280 now. IIUC the "mirroring" function negates this feature.

I don't see how you'd be able to handle such a dual setup though. Is andr0id expecting the SS to figure out how much the top part of the rightmost screen is situated above the top of the left one? You'd be required to have additional background gravel just for these situations.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #12
Jim Sachs
Developer

Well, if Edgar is still involved in the project at that point, he is welcome to program all that Windows stuff. Figuring out what weird setups a few people might be running doesn't sound like fun to me.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #13
cjmaddy
Registered

Originally posted by andr0id:
.... I bought the 2.6 upgrade to support your work. I hope you correct this defect in the future.
Andy  
That's a defect! ???

Rotation settings could take care of that, (and retain the proportions). - Or you could turn the monitor back to horizontal!

Incidentally that looks like a 4x3 (not a 5x4 1280x1024).

/Tiny difference!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #14
tweaker
Registered

Jim,

If 3.0 will span across two monitors, big ups to you and your skills!! I can't wait!
Old 03-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #15
virtualcharlie
Registered

I'm doing my homework to read up on this thread as I brought up the issue of multi-monitors on another thread.

I'm afraid with my three monitors at 1600x1200 I'll be one of those of odd settings that Jim has better things than to think about.

Sigh, this is a vanity thing anyway and I'm not sure that it is worth huge effort. I'd love it when folks walked into my office that I had a realistic set of three monitors running the aquarium. I'd be happy if I could simply launch MA as an app three times.

I do appreciate the great product though.
http://charlie.balch.org
virtualcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #16
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I don't think it's beyond the realm of expectations that different instances (at least of the fish) could be seen on each monitor. Now there's something that Prolific could upsell.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:33 PM   #17
tweaker
Registered

Well I understand your environment virtualcharlie, but 2 monitors aren't that uncommon now a days with major video cards supporting VGA, DVI and s-video. Having a fish swim between the two monitors doesn't sound all that unrealistic to ask IMHO. But that decision is up to Jim.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #18
flyingfish
Registered

I now run dual monitor using a Matrox Parhelia video card. 2048x768. in windowed mode stretched to fill two of three screens. Is nice because you can still work on one screen. However, 2.6 would not do this. The wide original version does and 2.0 does.
flyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #19
flyingfish
Registered

dual monitor setup

Hi,

After reading some of the responses. It appears that some people don't realize that when using dual monitor that they need to go the the video properties setup by right click on the desktop and then settings, advanced. Then find you video set for multi monitors and set to extend window desktop to both monitor so it doesn't just clone the first monitor.

Then in Aquarium 2.o multi-monitor version you should set to windowed mode (F) and be able to stretch the Aquarium over the entire desktop. ( doesn't work in 2.6)
flyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #20
CountryDevil
Registered

What is the estamated date the v3.0 will be out? Are there any beta testing programs?
CountryDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive